1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Migratory Trout And Salmon - River Tees Barrage - Bad News

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

THE Tees Barrage is facing further stinging criticism because of the difficulties that salmon and sea trout have in negotiating it to reach spawning grounds in the Upper Tees.

The fish pass, considered by many anglers and angling bodies to be woefully inadequate, is being cited by campaigners attempting to stop the construction of a barrage on the River Ribble in Lancashire.

The Ribble Fisheries Consultative Association said: “The building of a Ribble barrage most certainly constitutes the greatest threat yet to migratory fish and would irrevocably change the ecology of the whole river system.

“In the case of the Tees the barrage delays the passage of migratory fish thus creating a focus of predation.”

Full story here - http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/north-east-sport/angling-fishing/2007/12/08/trout-topics-with-andrew-wilkinson-84229-20222161/

:happy:

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Re: Tees Barrage - Bad News For Migratory trout And Salmon

Glenn, i visit the Barrage every day of the week during the Summer through to Autumn and its heart breaking seeing whats going on down there. There was thousands of migratory fish held up every day from July through to October, with the resident seals hammering them. One day at high tide i even witnessed a seal move and take up position under one of the gates to stop the fish moving over the top. People used to go to the Barrage to watch the fish, but now they go as spectators to watch the seals eat the fish.
    To rub salt in the wounds, i seen an article on the North East News the other night how a large amount of cash was found to improve a fish pass on the Tyne (which is good), but the Tees still remains ignored.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You would think that with all the money involved in Salmon and Trout fishing that the Envirinment agency would come up with something to put this right. They would get the money back in the long run - More fish + more anglers +more licences.

4. bucko

bucko Guest

ACA Petition at:

http://www.a-c-a.org/barrage-petition.html

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

my name is on the petition now, crazy that they haven't sorted it out or even properly attempt to sort it out :angry:

6. bucko

bucko Guest

Isn't it mate.
    What makes it more of a crying shame is when you see what an awesome river the Tees is around the Barnard Castle area.
    Excellent stock of brown trout as well, which in most cases would mean an excellent sea trout stock, and usually they'll run as long as there is water over their back.

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Let's hope they get their act together and sort it out but I'm not holding my breath :sad:

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

When i saw the hole they knocked out of the fish pass, i thought they were gonna build another fish pass on the outside. Someone, however, informed me not so long ago, it was to slow the rate of water coming down the pass so to allow the fish to get up easier-bollocks.
    Ian, i fish up at Eggleston and like Barney, its an awesome bit of water.