1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messin about on the river - kayak fishing

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by carpyken, Aug 3, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Had a free day yesterday and the coastal forecast was crap so decided to do something I've been wanting to do for ages - get the kayak out on the upper reaches of the River Hull / Driffield Navigational. Paddled this bit of river hundreds of times in the sit inside but really nice to get the Dorado on it....and to be honest one of the nicest paddles/fishing I've had for a while, totally stress free, no need for shed loads of safety gear, just great fun in search of my fave freshwater species...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even managed to find a bit of 'white water' - well not really :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well anyway had a chuck with some trick plastic supplied from our Sam and the house of Spro- if you haven't got one of these for either bass of pike then get one, what great fun, I had pike launching themselves into the air to get a piece of this...

[​IMG]

Ended up with a nice perch on a tiny little Spro plug, whats it called again Sam?

[​IMG]

and two pike, no big size but great fun, both of them tail walking and crashing out of the water - just great fishing :happy:

[​IMG]

plenty of fish in the river...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

who needs the broads...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ken

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Great report and smashing pictures Ken :yes:. I'm going to try he Tees in mine as soon as i get the chance :happy:.

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

beautiful what else can you say, another beautiful part of england. well done on the fish ken.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Fantastic pictures- the water clarity is amazing, no doubt due to it flowing over all that chalk further upstream.
    The pic of the fish in the water remind me of the pictures in Falkus & Buller's 'Freshwater Fishing' of spawning pike on that very river.

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Whats the diffrence between a kayak and a canoe? I have been asked to get involved with the Canoe banning on rivers. I wont become involved because i dont know anything about the two. I would love a little boat to sail up the Tees on a summer evening. Great pictures of your day on the River Hull .Look foreward to something from the Tees .I keep getting asked to fish for the pike from a boat up at Yarm but me and boats dont work im always sea-sick.from Sea Sick Pete :sick: :laugh:

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

lovely pics and great report Ken. Nice Stripey too, I love Perch me!

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Fantastic report and pictures Ken, love the underwater shot :wink: I really do need to get out Perch fishing off the yak, looks like a lovely piece of water that Ken. Very nice way to pass the time mate.

8. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

If you do go perch fishing Sam, mind the spikes :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :hurt:

9. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks guys, hoping to spend a little more time on the rivers - its just so relaxing :happy:

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Think we need a new nickname for him Matty, - sticking with Lord of the Rings, how about simply 'Sting' :whistle:

:cheesy:

10. bucko

bucko New Member

Ken

How far upriver does it start to get mega-private/exclusive etc?

I'd fancy there being a couple of 'spotties' hanging around that 'white water' as well.

11. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

that looks real theraputic ken...think i'll av to have a stroll down the navigation myself...right on my doorstep!

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

well done ken, looks like you had a good day. That under water shot of the plug is ace

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hi Bucko, yes I discreatly tucked myself in and tried several spinners in and around it, the white water is the outfall for the trout farm and there are definately trout in the river, one swam right under my hull at a brisk rate. Its lovely up there, any further up and its more of a canal and close to the road. The main chalk stream can be accessed from a chanel further down the main river but this gets very private very quickly....I was once told off for going up there in my play boat, think I could be temted to try the lower regions with the Dorado though, I remember once seeing a huge shoal of bream up there, the water was no more than a foot or two deep and running quite quickly, yet there was this huge shoal of bream, got to be trout in that lower region too :wink: .

Thanks Shammy, were do you live?

Just messing with a waterproof camera Dan, thoroughly enjoyed it and hoping to get back up there soon, its been a few years since I've fished for freshwater species and I'm enjoying it again :happy:

Ken

14. shammy67

im in driffield ken..iv tried driff beck a couple of times up near kingsmill but nothin doin...plenty of trout n perch about though.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Shammy, have you ever fished Mullberry Whin near you?

16. shammy67

to be honest davo,my fly (and course ) fishing has taken a back seat since moving to driff 5yrs ago from castleford...the sea has always been a big draw to me..but i know there is some seriously quality chalkstream fishing right under my nose,so think its about time i dusted the gear off and gave it a go again!!

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

I fished it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it mate. You should give it ago.

18. bucko

bucko New Member

Have you seen the Driffield Anglers water Dave- looks well nice but I hear its a case of "Dead mans shoes" to get in there.

19. bucko

bucko New Member

Also theres 'Wansford Fishery' nearby which is a horseshoe lake thats slow flowing- sounds appealing.

Their website has a pic of a cracking 5lb perch from their coarse lake

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

I think i saw some of Driffields water Ian. In fact i think the far bank at Mulberry Whin is Driffields water.