1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mersey cod

Discussion in 'Pictures From Chester Rob' started by chesterrob, Sep 18, 2007.

1. chesterrob

chesterrob i may be blind but i can fish !

Febuary 2007
    Fishing aboard the Merlin in the river Mersey
    After a slow days fishing plagued by whiting i finaly got into a mersey cod using lug and squid cocktail fished uptide. not the worlds greatest codling but when you have had nowt for 4 bloody cold hours it warms you up just getting a 4 pounder

[​IMG]

2. bucko

bucko Guest

Alright Rob

I go down and see my mate in Saint Helens quite a bit and he was talking about somewhere on the Mersey where he saw a lad pulling out some good sized codling. I think it was called 'Jerusalem' or some other biblical name. Do you know anything about it? as I might put a rod in the boot next time I go down.

3. chesterrob

chesterrob i may be blind but i can fish !

I must admit i am not too sure where he is on about , but it might just be a local name.
    I would recommend you fetch your rod with you next time as there can be some good fishing in the Mersey at this time of year, i would recommend you fish at perch rock (near new Brighton on the wirral side) over low water (2 hrs before and 1.5 hrs after) try fishing with a big bait of fresh lug and squid if you are after some early winter cod or you may even be lucky enough to get a late bass if you cast into the rock channel but here i would use peeler crab, worms will catch but you are better off with crab. A big cast is not a must but if you can get into the deeper channel you will be more likely to get the cod, but there are plenty of dabs and other fish around here too, just be carefull of the weaver fish that seem to like this area too. You will be fishing over mostly sandy ground apart from in the rock channel
    Good luck m8
    Rob

4. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Nice pic mate

5. bucko

bucko Guest

Cheers Rob. I've a feeling that this place is somewhere near New Brighton way so will follow it up next time I'm down.

Thanks for the info.

6. martinmoreton

martinmoreton New Member

i think its called Jericho lane, rings a bell.