1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Members Memorable Catches & Specimen Gallery

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Love to if it fits in with me shifts. Did a lot of lure fishing in Norfolk but not done any since moving back up.

2. mike_t

Couple of perch 3lb8 from loch ken. The other a bit over that out of hornsea mere. Pics not good quality took pic of a pic.
    Loch ken we were predator fishing and had a few 2lb+ perch then the 3.5. The hornsea perch we had been lure fishing for pike and had some big perch following big lures. We went back fishing for perch and had this one, none bigger but mate had them just over 4lb

Loch Ken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hornsea mere

[​IMG]

3. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some clonking perch there mate, i'd love to catch a big perch, and have been trying recently without success on the tees.

A very recent catch of mine was this pike. I caught my first 20 very early in my piking days a few years back at 22lb. I knew this would be hard to beat for a river fish, so on a recent trip to the tees, after catching a 3lb chub on deadbait, as my float sailed away again i wasnt expecting anything special until i hit somehting that felt very solid. With the being plenty of flow in this swim, it took a long time to get in, and i was one lucky man after a long battle as the hook s fell out in the net, and had been opened out from the fight.

At 24lb 15oz, i was a happy fellow for a long time, and couldnt have imagined such a stunningly marked fish. Obviously i'm going to have to target a 25 now!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Those Perch are stonkers! I don't think there is anything better than a big Perch, my biggest though is only 2lb 2oz. Had a 2lber from Honrsea Mere years ago, haven't been back there in over 10yrs. Last time I was there is was covered in Cormorants so no idea if it fishes the same :sad:

5. mike_t

Awsome place, we would row put past island plenty of compost in blacken the water up and they move in on it, my mate had them to over 4. I will be heading back soon pike perch session.

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Do you know if it still fishes ok for Perch? If it does I think I might have a drive down this month for a session, used to enjoy fishing there. Never had any decent Pike though, plenty of high singles but never had anything over 10lb.

7. mike_t

Yes mate still fishes well we would get out from island, left side, compost and worm. Then deads off back of boat. Done pike into 20s.

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Messed up really as today's weather would of been perfect for a day afloat. Be nice to get back down there again, probably mid 90's when I last fished the place (feel old now!).

9. mike_t

I first fished it in 2000, yesterday would have been ideal. Unless forecast changes winds look too strong this week. Boats are cumbersome things, awes are ridiculous too. Shame you couldn't take yak on it

Price not changed much, but you'll get pensioners rates :embarrass:

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Pensioners rate!!

I wish :cheesy:

Do you know if you can use electic motors? I have a Minn Kota sat in the garage.

11. mike_t

I don't know, we asked about a motor on was told no. But unsure on electric, a lot easier if you could. Had livies out on there too, not alowed but gave it a go ut no go for pike. But small fry for perch were dynamite. I'm wanting to get over for another go but it's finding time.

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I used to waggler fish live Perch fry back in the early 90's at Peakers Pond (Guisborough), awesome sport for Perch.

Soon as we get a calm day I hope to fish Hornsea Mere, be good to fish the place again after 15yrs+. Hope the Perch make an appearance.

13. mike_t

Have t let me know when, been on about it myself.

14. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Will do bud :happy:

15. mike_t

Just come across a few more pics of a very memorable session, I had five bream over 10lb, had a few 100lb+ bags off the river wissey in norfolk. But had my big fish from a gravel pit in oxford.
    Here is one about 12 and the bottom one is a tad over 15.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. jimlad

Fantastic bream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. robmc

robmc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Jimlad, i've just been looking through this thread, did you ever manage a big perch from the tees? I've seen your blogs and stuff and you seem to catch a load of quality fish.

we used to fish the tees at yarm, just upstream of the viaduct, where the river has a bend in it. fishing the non club side and had perch to almost 4lb, this is going back maybe 10 years like so it's probably nothing like that now. had an 18lb pike from under the viaduct around that time to. that day was so cold there were actual icebergs floating down the river and you had to wait till you had a clear bit of water to cast the wobbled deadbait.

think an outing down there could be worth while.

Rob

18. jimlad

Hi Rob,

Apologies mate just seen this.

A bit of a sore point this one, as I lost a perch of a lifetime from the lower tees just before close season. Keep trying eh!