1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May Be A Daft Question -- Cut Off Points - When To Leave Fishing Marks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Sep 14, 2009.

1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

iknow people recommend leaving a low water a certain time after low water ,ie 1.5 hrs after low water,to avoid cut offs.
    my question is,is this 1.5 hrs afrter published low water[ie lw at 2000 so leave at 2130],or 1.5 hrs after turn of tide ie 1.5hrs into the flood?
    sorry for so many questions lately,ill contribute back where i can.

2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Re: may bbe a daft question--cut off points

Just remember stated tide times are only an estimation, but can also be affected by wind, barometric pressure, etc. Always leave in good time, and keep an eye out all around you. Yes it does mean leave 1.5 hrs after the stated tide time. With experience you can tell when you need to be moving, when say a certain rock gets covered with water etc.
    Cheers Col.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I wouldnt trust the 1.5 hours rule. You need to work a few things out. Some marks you struggle to get onto on some tides, let alone get back off (Eg - Creta block on a very small ebb with sea running, unless you know what your doing then dont even go there as you wade on and off.)

I dont mean to be a kill joy but untill you know a mark, get off it very early. Over time you will learn where the water comes to at different times in the flood tide and once you have learnt these things then you can stay longer with confidence. No point staying on a scar anyway if your panicing over being cut off because you just wont enjoy the fishing. I now have most my access points worked out to within 10 minutes, but even then, big seas etc can mean the tide flood back that bit quicker. You will in time learn markers on the scars ( Eg when a certain rock gets covered - set off home)

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Also b are in mind the weather conditions on the day. I was certain I was familiar with cut off times down one of the Bemmo marks and got it spot on in the morning but the small tide and strong northerly wind held the ebb up and the cut off didn t uncover until nearly an hour later than it should have done.........as Glenn says don't chance it matey.

5. Baramundi Bob

There will come a time when you are comfortable, and once you have learnt a mark you will be able to go there and know exactly what will happen to within a few minutes. It will be worth it in the long run and please dont let us put you off. We were all newbies at one point, and we are all still learning something..

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Years ago when the fishing was often out of this world you often took chances with the tide and extra 10minuites could mean 2 or 3 more fish on the flood but when i look back now its a liitle bit chilling i wouldnt dream of doing now what i did then but when you are catching the adrenlin is flowing and it just one more chuck then i needed to get off.

paul.

7. Baramundi Bob

Its quite frightening when you look back Paul. I remember falling in at RHB River Hole because I stayed on the scar too long. Ended up wet and cold.

8. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Glassback once told me the method he sometimes uses, which involves placing a bamboo stick somewhere relative to to your fishing mark, once the tide reaches a certain point it's time to go, I think this is a simple and wise idea, although it would probably be limited in dark heavy seas, I think he used it mainly whilst summer daylight fishing

9. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

last night when i fished a new mark, that you can get to on low tide. as we were fishing we were watching behind us as much as out to sea, we may have left 1 hour before we needed to but we made it back.

leaving early is better in my eyes than been cut off

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

The thing is its all down to experience you must fish any spot in daylight to get to know it if it has cut off points its a must do not fish a spot in the dark on your own if you have never fished it before without somebody who has good knowledge .

paul.