1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mark between staithes and port mulgrave

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Studenttom, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

When plugging in late summer, i noticed a set of ropes leading to a flat rock, out-crop in the cliff face between Staithes and Port Mulgrave. The mark is situated on the northern cliff face of the southern bay between the two locations (sorry for poor description). Its clearly a cod mark and would love to give it a go, from the vague area description would people be able to tell me how to access the ropes from the top of the cliff and how to target the mark. From the looks of the facing direction there is a gully to aim for and i would guess at using the mark as a sheltered location on large NE swells.

cheers Tom

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sorry not a good answer tom, but i dont know it.
    Had a look at google maps and not sure exactly where you mean, however i would imaging parking in staithes car park and walking cliff top on cleveland way, or if its other end then park near the property on rosedale lane and again leg it on the cleveland way.
    The area i have wanted to fish for a couple of years now but me too dont know the area well enough ! pm.jpg

3. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Thanks for the reply, the rock plinths are visable on google maps, if you see where the cleveland way enters the ploughed field, look NW to the base of the cliff and you can identify the two shadows cast by the features. Might have a walk round today at low water and scout around, will send you route if your interested. Love that stretch of coast offers so much possibility.

4. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

will have a closer look tonight after work tom, am interested in an outing (work allowing).
    will need a bit of a sea on i suspect though ?

5. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

seems that sort of mark that would need a heavy north eastly sea, the direction you are facing is very similar to Port Mulgrave jetty wall. The target seems like a scour in scar running parallel with the cliff, seems a fair cast though. The ground is clean similar to kettleness a clean slate with patchy bouders with a covering of bladderack. Didn't notice many mussels so not sure what the cod would be finding in there in winter, possibly a good call for summer though as i know the place has a good amount of crab held up, as the bass seem to enjoy it in there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

possibly a good call for summerthough as i know the place has a good amount of crab held up

sept/oct time of year scars/runs along section near the old jet caves can be rewarding

years ago we used to do pots and drop in there with the rods

always seemed that the bigger cod inside there targeted the whiting

always full of them & butterfish etc.

agree that its a good section of coast, walk it from runswick to staithes.

ropes last mentioned by Big Cliff /Gary on old topic somewhere on forum.

7. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Thanks for the reply, im going to give it a few casts tonight, spent my morning shelling a bucket of mussel for tonight so if there's a cod in there surely it wont turn down a ball of fresh mussel. Hopefully have a report up in the morning, will have to restrain my self for heading to Port Mulgrave, that place never fails me.

8. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

i put the ropes in etc and its not for the faint hearted as last year they was a large cliff fall right where the ropes went down so very dodgie i wouldnt recommend going in the dark to any mark that your not familiar with and ya need a good sea round there personally i wouldnt waste my bait on a flat sea in that area they is other marks better in flat conditions

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Studenttom

Studenttom Blenny

Cheers mate just read this before heading out for the night, i thought that may be the case with the place it looked like it needed a rough sea

• Like Like x 1