1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Makkie fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ding, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Ding

Ding Whitby Fishing Forum _

Not very happy with some makkie fishermen that think its good fun to cast there spinners at kayakers !! I don't think these knobheads understand the injury or damage that these missiles could cause

2. andym

andym Rockling

Where abouts was this happening?

3. Certainly in Cornwall !!

An not just with spinners !!

:yes: :yes:

4. Ding

Saltburn pier !

5. anderson365

anderson365 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well the sun does tend to bring the fruitcakes out to play and piers are magnets to them.

Safer to keep your distance from the pier I guess, there is no telling some people.

6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Am I the only person to think that a kayak should be steering clear of shore anglers, being that a boat can use the whole ocean, whereas shore anglers can only cast straight out?!
    I have been fishing off the Brigg, only to have a kayak come and park right in front of me.
    You literally could not have made it up!
    In fairness, I signalled him to move and he did. But, if he hadn't, I probably would have chucked through him too.
    In my view, the kayaker was being an arse.
    Were you?

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Only a complete 'weapon' would cast a weight or treble at someone- thats the rock bottom of it.

8. lipslicker

Of course I agree, but to kayak in front of shore anglers, when there can never be a need to, seems selfish, arrogant and a little foolhardy?
    The point of a kayak is surely to fish where shore anglers cannot, so to paddle right in front of a guy casting feathers, or what have you, is kind of like walking up to the biggest guy in the bar and pushing him aside, then complaining when he throws a fist your way?
    It is just not the done thing!

9. bucko

bucko New Member

I must remember to take you salmon fishing with me when the canoeists are on the river :wink:
    Bring your size 8 Mepps!

10. Ding

No I wasn't been an arse lipslicker I was just launching from the beach and paddling near the pier !!!!

11. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

last year I caught a boats line that was trolling and when he came in he had a right go at me didn't cast at him didn't even know he was trolling. luckily for me the guy next to me was a right nutter and took my side or I think I would have been going for a swim. all the sea to explore and ill go in casting distance of the shore were there are people already fishing don't understand it all. I take it they were fishing on the pier before you got there and paddled were they were fishing. I in no way condone casting at anyone. but can see how some people would feel that they were just carrying on with what they were doing and you just got in the way.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I certainly wouldnt call anyone arrogant or anything of that nature but would say your perhaps a little Naive if you expect Neanderthals to behave any differently. I passed the Whitby pier last Sunday and the first thing that came into my head was that some loon would cast a spinner at me. It was in my head long before I got there and had I gone close I know they would have done it. Needless to say I stayed around 400 yards off the pier. My advice to everyone is stay well away or expect to either get caught by accident or be targeted on purpose by someone with the IQ of a baboon.

13. lipslicker

Come on, Glen, you shore fish.
    Honestly, what would you think if you were casting out and some guy in a canoe comes straight in front of you?
    And please do not give us any guff, like you would just move to another spot.
    I dare say you would call him what that stupid policeman called you, and you would not be being a Neanderthal with the I.Q. of a baboon to be mighty pissed about it.
    It is an etiquette thing.
    (And I am in no way sticking up for the average Mackie basher, who probably are as you describe)

14. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Gotta say, it's happened to me before, at the Mull. Some knob in a boat 60 or 70 yards off where we were on flat rock. We'd only gone down there for a quick bait run and time was of the essence. I just put my rod down to better enable hand gestures and gave him a bollocking. He had the whole sea to go at, and plenty better Macky bashing about another 150 yards out on the tide line. Gotta agree with the other points about it being totally idiotic chucking lures and leads at people. In the end I just sat and waited for the total bellend to drift towards lagvag a bit, not fast enough for my likes though. Would have preferred him to be that far out with the tide rip there running properly

15. Ding

I was about 100m off the pier I thought that was plenty of space !!!

16. Jem

Jem Blenny

No disrespect meant here , but if you think 100yds is plenty of distance then think again, jeez some lads cast that with eyes shut, in all honesty you were a bit daft/naive even going near the pier specially as you can clearly see people fishing on it. It's always been the same even with the surfers, plenty of sea to go at and they hang around the pier no wonder there's sometimes fights.