1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Your Own Flying C's....

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Jan 14, 2008.

1. bucko

bucko Guest

Informative video on lure construction. Could save you a couple of bob and while the wire forming tool does make for a neat job, I do exactly the same with a pair of pliers, a thin screwdriver and a bit of brute force.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RvqW-oVGxe0

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Very interesting Bucko.

I do like the flying c's. I usually opt for the heavier ones of about 15g made by lurflash.

To date I have found nothing to match the lureflash ones as most dont spin very well in the water and the line wraps around the blades.

Are the home made ones ok ??

3. bucko

bucko Guest

I like the Lureflash ones as well due to their slimmer profile. The 10g ones suit me down to the ground on Esk.
    However, a variation that is lethal but not so durable is to substitute the rubber for mylar tubing- more reflective surfaces = more visibility.
    I've never had any problems with home made ones. 100 wires cost me about £7 and they also come in handy for "Renovating" your other spinners that have seen better days.

4. bucko

bucko Guest

A good supplier of spinner and flying C components:

http://www.mchardys.co.uk/acatalog/Spinner_Parts.html

5. Davo

Davo Rockling

Looking at that site has made me wonder if anyone had a favourite size mepps. Even though water condition generally dictate what size to use, i get psyched out when having to use large mepps on small rivers and visa versa. Dont know why, i just do.

6. bucko

bucko Guest

I like a size 3 blade in coloured water. As I mainly make my own it means that its not necessarily a long spinner. One I did well with a few years back was only maybe 2.5 inches long but the body parts were heavy enough to get it down. That said, the 'willow' blades are often a size above their rating if you know what I mean but I've had nothing on them for a couple of years despite the popularity of the 'Longue' on local rivers. And just to turn everything on its head, a few years ago I had a bad day for losing spinners and was left with only size 1 Comet's but fished in the tail of pools which were maybe 2-3ft deep they worked fine, despite the water being heavily coloured.
    Up on the Till Brian Thompson (River Keeper) swears by a size 4!

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

An old mate of mine used to experiment with different size bodies and blades, but quite often if he got the body too heavy for the blade, they would sink well, but wouldnt spin well or not at all. I fancy making my own, so i'll get cracking this spring.