1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making the best of a bad job at Bridlington!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Sep 17, 2012.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

A friend of mine, Andy has just purchased a Warrior 175 very similar to mine and was desperate to get it wet for the first time along with his two lads, on Sunday. (That’s get the boat wet, not his lads!).

The forecast wasn’t great. Windy, but a south westerly off the land, so probably ‘doable’ - just. A call to Bridlington compound before I left home, confirmed that other boats had launched already, so off we (Anthony and I) set with my boat in tow arriving at Bridlington about 10.15am.

I’d given Andy some pointers on where and how to catch some launce, as his lads were keen to catch a bass on the float. By the time I’d reached them in my boat, they’d been bait fishing for half an hour or so, and had a handful of launce over the North Smithwick banks in that time.

The water was coloured, and our drift became increasingly fast (up to 2 knots). Anthony and I really struggled to catch any bait. We were picking up mackerel, but very few launce, and certainly not enough to use this as our first line of attack, so after ½ hour further effort a change of tactic was decided. I now needed to salvage the day somehow, and try and make the best of a bad job.

Looking at the chart plotter there is an area of ground to the North West of the Smithwick Sandbank that looked worth a shot for what I had in mind. The chart plotter showed 38’ depth and it was there that the anchor was deployed just after midday.

Once the boat had settled, I set Anthony up with a 5’ flowing trace with a nice strong 2/0 hook, baited with a long strip of fresh mackerel. He was using a 12lb class rod of mine with an old Shimano TLD 5, which handled the 8oz lead easily.

The bait had been in the water less than 5 minutes, when the first of the target species took hold. A first for Anthony, he’d never caught thornback before, and another new species for my boat.

[​IMG]

We went on to catch 6 in total during the course of the day with all of them in the 8 to 10lb stamp. Although I’d intended chasing the bass and Pollock, the thornback made a pleasant change, especially on the light gear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later in the afternoon Andy caught up with me and his lads told me, with great excitement, about the two bass they had caught around the Flamborough Head/ North landing area. They then anchored near me to try for a thornback, but unfortunately didn’t have any further luck, but now their Dad’s got his new toy, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they score on the ‘ray’ front too!

2. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice report and pics mate, you've had some nice fish there. Bet they were fun on the light gear

3. hoggy

hoggy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done rupert ,cracking report and nice fish pics too .tightlines hoggy

4. mww

mww Rockling

Nice one Rupert...did you have a tope rod out?

Unfortunately I was transporting No2 daughter & her stuff back to Uni...& Chris was polishing his new baby's bottom anyway!! :cheesy:

Mart

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Great minds, Martyn! :wink: :wink:

Yes, I did - result was three thornies on my two tope rods with wire traces, - but no tope!

The previous Saturday, I fished on the South side of the Smithwick banks for tope. Had two definate tope runs, screaming line off, but didn't connect with either. The half mackerel I was using were too big, or the Bridlington tope too small (that day anyway!). :laugh:

6. cps

cps Rockling

me and the drum sander are now at one LOL godmy arms were dead thismorning after 6 hours of pollishing ally

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Rupert, some nice looking Thornies there. They do fight well on light gear, right idea using the towel as well :yes:

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rupert nice report see your (wearing my spare smock) the thornbacks are a good size when you out again tightlines Alain

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Now then Al !

I think from now on in boat wise, it's simply a question of grabbing what chances are left when your time allows.

It's a really frustrating time of year, because species wise, I think September and early October, availability wise, gives us a really good shot at all sorts of interesting species, particularly bass, pollock, shark and ray.

It's just that the weather, and increasingly short days, just don't tend to play ball with us at this time of year.

10. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

your bang on right there Rupert we buy the toys then carn`t get to use them does my head in at times going to have a week up crinan /lochaline in october are you still on for April ? tightlines Alain

11. Howard

Howard Blenny

Great report Rupert. I m nominating you to go and find the big plaice now that used to carpet that area. YOUR THE MAN! Shame weathers going to ruin our trips for the foreseable future.

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

I found the plaice in the previous trip to Bridlington H. My friend had half a dozen plaice, along with one or two small dabs, whilst I was tope fishing . Nowt to get excited about size wise, but food for thought for the future if they can get some size on!

Have you heard of any decent plaice being caught in the bay in recent years?

13. andym

andym Rockling

Nice one Rupert good to see someone removing the cod goggles they certainly offer good sport on the right sort of outfits well done!

14. Cartman74

Cartman74 Guest

Nice fish gentlemen, good to see you got out with the weather and all

15. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Well done Rup

There must be all sorts of flatties around that area?

Regards

John

16. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i fished sunday mate just inside of you we never got a touch .dave lucy may never had a skate either you did well tight lines g

17. cps

cps Rockling

thats cos ur no good unles its cod fishin :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    thought you had fell of the planet gray hows the new boat going

18. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the new boats running great chris .a few teething problems at first .but now its off like a little rocket..........
    3 onboard 22mph 3/4 throttle. so we will be able to raid all your wrecks now from the base at brid cheaper lol
    whitby here we come :happy:
    couldn.t catch a skate at weekend tried everything .but thats fishing .this weekend looks shite up to now .hows the ali boat coming on mate

19. cps

cps Rockling

just bent up the handrails , got them to weld on then its take it home time and fit the motor, if the cables are ok for lenght i think ill be done early next week, dont know when it will see the water though as im of to london for a couple of months week monday to work