1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Majorca fishing - with a few pics!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by stickman, Sep 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Hi Guys - back from two weeks in beautifully sunny Majorca :cool:. While you were all experiencing hurricanes we had a heat wave - even the Majorcan's thought it was hot :wink:

As I said, I managed to take a little telescopic rod and some hooks and lures with me - it transformed another boring beach holiday into something a bit more interesting. No massive fish to report but at least there were fish to be caught.
    We were staying in Sa Coma on the east coast. The shore line is made of volcanic rock with sandy beaches in between. The rocks are VERY sharp and uneven to walk on - like walking on broken glass, so sandals were essential. Here's a view from one of the rocky headlands looking back to the resort:
    [​IMG]G]

I tried lure fishing here with a little plastic shad - second cast I got this fella!
    [​IMG]
    It looks like some kind of wrasse but asking one of the locals what it was proved useless :whatever: It wasn't big - about 9" - but it was a fish. I tried a few other lures, spinners, sidewinder eels and plugs but didn't catch anything else. I tried floatfishing off the rocks with some little preserved shrimps I'd got from a shop in the town that sold fishing tackle (as well as all the usual tourist cr@p) but they were ignored, as were limpets prized off the rocks. The bait that worked was - bread :surprise:
    Here's one of the little sea bream I got - I caught quite a few if these over the two weeks but none was bigger than about 5 inches :cheesy:
    [​IMG]
    This is a Dorada - I caught a couple of these - this one was maybe 8" long but quite "chunky" and gave a good fight on light float tackle:
    [​IMG]
    In the resort itself there is a brackish pool that is really a wide storm drain that has been cut off from the sea - sea water is pumped into it to make a shallow paddling area for kids but it extends several hundred yards "upstream" and is alive with mullet :happy:
    Most of them are only small, around 5 or 6 inches, that swim in shoals of several dozen. They must get fished for a lot and are extremely wary and spook easily when cast to. I caught a few of these on floating bread. There were also a small number of larger fish that swam in groups of four or five. It was almost impossible to get them to take a bait - but I got this one, around 1 1/4 lbs and one slightly smaller:
    [​IMG]
    On the last but one day of our holiday I was back on the rocks fishing bread. A shoal of tiny fish were fighting over a piece of floating crust when they suddenly erupted and scattered in all directions :surprise:. I put a lure on and tried to find whatever had scared them. A few minutes later I was amazed to see about a dozen flying fish take off about 30 yards out and sail maybe four or five yards before splashing in again. As far as I know they only take to the air to avoid predators - so on went a plug and I spent 20 minutes casting as far as I could to find the predator. I had one decent fish (about 2 or 3 lbs) follow the plug right in to my feet but he didn't take :cry:. I don't know what it was but the water was so clear that he probably saw me before I saw him!
    A few casts later and DISASTER - my rod snapped while casting :sad:. Well, I guess the plug was too heavy and I was expecting too much of the little rod to cast it so far that frequently - and it is 32 years old :laugh:. I tried wrapping it with a bit of plastic bag and stuffing the broken section into the one below it (telescopic rod remember) and although it worked I couldn't cast far without it coming out again. Reluctantly I went back to floatfishing close in and picked up a few more small bream and a Dorada.

Earlier in the week we'd been on a boat trip up the coast to Cala Radjada, a small fishing town. The harbour was FULL of mullet, mostly around 1 to 2 lbs but the odd bigger one around 4 or 5 lbs.
    [​IMG]
    I hadn't taken a rod but in any case from what I could make of the signs in the harbour no fishing was allowed there.
    On the way back we passed a man and two boys fishing from what looked like a cliff face:
    [​IMG]
    We couldn't see how they'd got down but there must have been a track through the boulders.

This was the view of the sunrise from our balcony looking out to sea on the last day
    [​IMG]
    The headland on the left is where I'd done most of my fishing.

Hope you enjoyed my little story - the moral is, TAKE A ROD WITH YOU NEXT TIME :wink:

2. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Do you mean like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were taken about 6yrs ago in Majorca(Alcudia) i caught hundred's of mullet using light gear,and bread flake,...lovely place.

3. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking little report Keith,

Always nice to add a few new species to the list.

Was talking to a guy when I was out a couple of weeks ago and he was saying how he took a rod and a few plugs over to Ibiza and had a good time fishing, said he got quite a few diff fish but the only one Id heard of was a barracuda!!

Ben

4. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Good report, when we where there, I had a bucket for mashed up stale bread which we used as cloud bait, the fish used to go mental. All the locals would cast their grappling hooks in trying to snag the fish. :laugh:

5. stickman

Yeah - the lady in the "tackle shop" tried to sell me treble hooks and another English guy who's been fishing there for twenty years said the locals catch most of their fish by dragging a treble through a shoal of fish :whatever:

I found a really good tackle shop in the next town up the coast, Cala Bona, that was really a Diving Shop but had a lot of tackle on sale as well. I got a few floats and hooks to use and some hollow bellies that I'll be using tomorrow on the Sea Urchin - just been told we're on!

One more point - I kept my tackle to a minimum but at the last minute decided to take a pair of curved forceps for unhooking fish. I slipped them inside one of the outer zipped pockets on the suitcase (which was already packed and I wasn't allowed to open it :whistle:). When we got to Majorca the forceps had been removed :suspious:

6. Just north of Alcudia is a place called Puerta de Pollenca and it has a little inlet which crosses under the coast road...full of fish which look like your Mullet. You can go up the Formentor peninsula and sometimes see Dolphins

:yes:

7. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Yes mate i know the place very well,the mullet are very prolific around the island great sport on light gear :yes:

8. Semtex Simon

Semtex Simon Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

excellent report and photos , looks like you enjoyed the holiday
    thanks for posting

will pack a rod next time i go :yes:

9. buster175

buster175 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

stayed at sa coma 2 years on the trot did you venture to silliot? as you go over the bridge there was massive shoals of mullet some must have been around 5lb the locals seemed to fish at night there. i hadn't started fishing then but i would have loved to have a go at catching them.

10. stickman

It was actually in Sillot that I caught the mullet - but the two towns merge into each other and it's difficult to tell where one stops and the other starts :wink:

The pool was full of silkweed this year and fishing on the surface was the only real option. I saw one guy catch an eel on floatfished bread - never had an eel take bread before or heard of anyone else doing until now!

11. agalardi

agalardi New Member

Hello - I realise this thread is 6 years old but thought I'd post anyway in the off chance people are still following.

I'm going to Mallorca in 2 weeks and renting a sailing boat with some friends to tour the island. None of us have any fishing experience but are interested in starting and hoping to catch some during our trip.

For those that have fished in this area what kind of (basic) equipment would you say is needed to fish from a boat? I understand there rods, line, hooks and bait can all vary depending on fresh/salt water and a number of other factors but am just looking for entry level equipment that I can purchase at a bait shop when I arrive.

Thanks!

12. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

13. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking report bud well done to you
    bonus nice holiday aswell

14. rupert

rupert Blenny

Well done Keith. Holidays like that, are all about learning how to catch whats on your doorstep, as well as managing your Mrs expectations. Something I've generally failed on, as she, (my Mrs ) doesn't always understand the challenge of my foreign fishing scenarios, and why I favour fishing, over and above her chasing local shoe shops???? !!!

Mars / Venus?