1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maiden voyage on Saturday

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by rupert, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rupert

rupert Blenny

On Saturday, we had a joint expedition from Whitby. With me was John Farrow (SOMG) on his boat Mystic Girl. On board my boat, a Warrior 175, was John Hudson. The day was special for two reasons; one being this was my maiden voyage, the other that it was John Hudson 47th birthday!

The launch went without eventuality, and whilst the sea conditions looked as forecast, slight to smooth, the fog was pretty awful. Once we were just out of the piers, a GPS reference mark was taken, so we could find our way back if the fog didn’t lift.

We were to be fishing inshore between Runswick and Port Mulgrave on a mark which we jokingly refer to as “John’s nob”. It is a rocky circular shaped ridge that SOMG likes to fish and it’s usually kind enough to provide a fish or two for our teas. Rarely in fact does it fail. It’s a mark that is difficult to discuss over the VHF however………..”lets have another try over John’s nob again, eh?”

True to form, John made sure his nob didn’t let him down, and he was the first to get his string pulled. :educated:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A redgill eel did the damage for John. Annoyingly, he went on to catch the second, third, fourth and fifth codling, before John and I had even had a touch. We were being waterlicked 5 nil. :butt:

John and I tried jiggers, shads, baited hockeyes with no luck at all. We were beginning to think this new boat of mine was jinxed, when another drift with a small pirk over the mark finally saw action.

It’s great to latch onto the first fish of the year on the first trip of the year, but it’s a little bit more special too on your maiden voyage of your first boat too. Not a big codling, but for the reasons mentioned, a bit of a milestone!

[​IMG]

Another slightly smaller fish followed on the next drift, so at least “John’s nob” had yielded tea for my family!

Meanwhile John Farrow kept adding a few more fish to his box!

[​IMG]

Another three quarters of an hour went by and John Hudson hadn’t had anything of an enquiry. I said he could raid my pirk box and choose any one he wanted for his birthday. Not a dozen jigs later with a new pirk and his 12lb class rod hooped over. Birthday success at last. :cool:

[​IMG]

It also happened to the fish of the day for the three of us!

The sun kept poking through the mist every now and again, but once it looked like “John’s nob” had dried up, we headed back towards Kettleness to try some others.

[​IMG]

The fog was quite patchy and John signalled that he’d seen something ahead and we slowed down to find Yakkin Sam and Boomstick on a high state of alert in the middle of a fog bank. They’d heard us homing straight in at them and had paddles ready in case evasive reaction was required. :scared: :scared:

We stopped and had a natter with them, and spent five minutes fishing. I was quietly confident that “local legend /seadog Sam” would be sitting over fish, but if he was, they didn’t play ball whilst we were with them.

We moved on to try another couple of marks, but no further joy. Listening to the charter skippers on the VHF, it sounded like many of them had found the day a bit of a struggle too. So with nothing more doing, we motored back to Whitby slipway about 4pm, relieved that my maiden voyage had passed without event. All we had to do was get my boat back on the trailer………

On the first winch up the slipway, the winch strap got down the side of the winch, so I had to push the boat out and start again. Second time round I was more careful to spread the strap more evenly on the winch, only for the strap to slip and do the same again. :angry:

I couldn’t face doing a third winching operation, so I wound on, only for the strap to snap sending the boat flying down the trailer and launching it beyond the slipway. It was impossible to stop it rolling off the trailer, so once it had hit the water, John Hudson gallantly did his best to stop it drifting too far away. Luckily he stopped it before the water was up to his chest. Unfortunately for him however, he was only wearing thigh waders at the time!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I wish we had footage of this on film. I’m sure it could have been sold for £250 and seen on Saturday evening television!

2. andym

andym Rockling

A cracking report I enjoyed reading that and I'm sure you will be posting many more reports of successes from her in the near future

3. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Good fun day

At least my nob didn't dry up on the first go
    Nice boat Rup bet you spent all day Sunday polishing it

Regards John

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Loved that Rupert :cheesy:

Good luck with the new boat, well excited for you, hope you have a wonderful summer and look forward to seeing you out there :happy:

Are we going to see porgies aboard the new launch?? :cheesy:

Ken

5. rupert

rupert Blenny

Thanks for your kind words Ken.

I'm not planning on a porgy trip in the early part of the summer, because I have a few offshore trips booked with Rich Ward already. These were in place before I took the plunge in buying my own boat.

That's not say the thought hadn't crossed my mind at some stage though :wink:

6. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one rupert, glad that you had a (fairly) catastrophe free maiden voyage with the new boat, hope you get plenty of opportunities to get amongst the fish this year as your reports are always a good read. Im also curious as to wether you'll be sharing the new vessel with the local porbeagles this summer :cheesy:

7. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

A good read as usual Rupert.
    That boat looks too clean wont look like that when you have been mackeraling for an hour or two :yes:
    We cleaned ours the last week ready for our first trip of 2012 going Wednesday for a roam around see what we can find, it was full of leaves off tree, fitted new seats these are made for the more rotund angler and feel good just need a seat belt for Jason now and all sorted :laugh:
    Looking forward to a few trips to Hornsea this year.

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

Cheers Baz and good luck for Wednesday!

I don't know how you feel, but cleaning boats is quite a repetative task. In my experience, tasks like these are best tackled by the fairer sex. I did suggest this to mine, when I was washing down on Sunday.

I'm hoping my shiner might have gone before we next meet up. :hurt: :hurt:

9. cps

cps Rockling

I'm not planning on a porgy trip in the early part of the summer, because I have a few offshore trips booked with Rich Ward already. These were in place before I took the plunge in buying my own boat.

That's not say the thought hadn't crossed my mind at some stage though :wink:

[/quote]
    i think mart may have idears of having a go in the not so distant future , if i sad keen i think thats an understaement , i had to nip home from work saturday and pull teaser out so he could was and pollish her :cheesy: i knew if i left it long enough he would crack and get sick of waiting and come and do it :laugh:
    so the new tub floats then, i asume the motor runs fine ,
    i picked up a 2010 model honda 40 efi this week for my new toy that i am building
    [​IMG]
    dont think its done a days work in its life, engine oil looked brand new

10. mww

mww Rockling

Nice report Rupert, as always! Great looking boat, you'll have a lot of fun with her...

Yep, keen to get a go soon...boat's about ready now!! 4

How early have you got the shark trips booked?

Mart

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

First booking is just after mid May Mart.

What are your porgy plans?

12. cps

cps Rockling

to manage to keep one on the end of the line long enough to get it to the boat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Going to be a great summer :cheesy:

14. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

nice report & pictures Rupert glad you got the Tub Wet theres no stopping you now every spare minute you`ll be wanting to be out Fishing first Cod. first ling. first tope first porgie .the list is endless tightlines Alain

15. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love it!

New boat looks very smart Rupert, so glad you spotted us in time otherwise I'd of felt so guilty if my face had scratched the underside of that shiney new boat! :scare:

16. rupert

rupert Blenny

Don't panic - No chance of that Sam.

We spotted you.

Just. :blindfold: :blindfold:

How did you and Scotty fare after we left ?

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nothing bud, was hardwork. Was at Runny today, bumped a few fish off and Scott managed 3 to 6lb but that was it.

18. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Made me laugh. All the water in the north sea and yous manage to find us in that fog :laugh: was hard work that day but still enjoyed it but today made up for it with 3

19. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Good to hear everything went ok Rupert on your maiden voyage and you got a few fish.

I saw your escapades on the slipway I thought you guys were going for the fastest launch ever :surprise: :surprise: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I thought the water was going to go over them chest waders as it couldn't of been far off :laugh: :laugh:.

It's all good fun at the end of the day looking forward to reading your next trips report.
    Tightlines Chris

20. Howard

Howard Blenny

Great to see youve got yourself sorted Rupert there will be no stopping you now I bet . As you will know the launch/retrieve becomes 2nd nature after a while but is a bit stressy to start. Have a great season on the water soon youll be thinking " should have got this boat years ago".
    Im sure we will bump into each other at sometime. H.