1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maiden Voyage (at last) - North East Kayak Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, May 13, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Finally got my kayak out of dry dock today and headed for Flamborough with Iain (quint) There was hardly any wind for once so we hurriedly got unloaded and into the water before it decided to blow. After paddling about a mile or so we got tackled up and started jigging. Iain soon had a bite and not long after that caught a codling. After a couple of drifts we decided to have a go with bait. This proved to be more succesful probably due to the water clarity and we had a few cod between us after one drift. Unfortunately niether of us had too much bait or we could have done a little better. When our bait was gone we had another drift with our home made jigs and snickled another three before heading back. It,s supprising how much lift there is once you get away from the shore but the kayaks are suprisingly stable and great fun to be in. We finished up with 15 cod between us the biggest being 6lb and 6 of those were returned we also got a ling and 2 coalies the biggest being about 2 half lb. Great start and it will hopefully get better as we get into June when the water clears and a bit of spinning becomes feasible. :) :) Pictures to follow with a bit of luck ;D

2. Howard

Howard Blenny

Re: Maiden Voyage (at last)

Respect Kayak pioneers , even some chater boats jibbed out today. This fishing is becoming more and more appealing . Thanks for sharing it with us.

3. steerser

steerser Blenny

brilliant mate....nice to get a bit on ya first go..

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

[​IMG]

5. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

well done ray.nice to catch on your first trip.water too mucky up our way today.

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thanks lads I,ve got a few more pics which I,ll put on as soon as I,ve got time.

7. steerser

steerser Blenny

wouldn't you be better off wearing a survival suit mate?
    wouldn't like to think i was in a kayak with a pair of waders on.. ;)

8. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

probably wearing a lifejacket john.

9. steerser

steerser Blenny

goes without saying tim...
    but even with a life jacket, if the waders fill with water, it's gonna be hard going..

10. robq

robq Rockling

Good skills lads ;D ;D Looks like you had a good day !

I am sick with impatience now :'( :'( AM told that mine will be arriving within this week but it will probably be a week or so after that before I get it all rigged out properly.

What sort of depth were you catchin in ? did you launch from north landing ?

Apparently a lot of kayak fishers in the states wear chesties but with a wading belt, coupled with the lifejacket this stops them filling with water and is basically the same as wearing a dry suit or dry pants + cag.

11. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

yes it was a good day sharing drifts among charter and private boats - Ray's correct the sea was lively to say the least, but I have to say he handled it with remarkable ease - nice one Ray

12. Volusian

Volusian New Member

Well done ramrod and spacemonkey ... ;D might get out again at flamborough during the week too ... well done .!

13. mww

mww Rockling

Totally agree - very well done those guys - where did you launch - South Landing?

BTW are those the new Snowbee "Ramrod" range of platform neoprenes for the vertically challenged?

Mart

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Brilliant report and pictures guys. I'm not at all jealous - honest ;) :)

16. Steve

Steve Rockling

you lucky b*****ard you managed to get out to sea today. my trip was cancelled due to bad weather.funny mine was about the only boat in whitby not to sail today. wont be using him again

17. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

outstanding, i am jealous :D

18. Volusian

Volusian New Member

How did you find the stability of the P13 off flamborough ... looks a little choppy there ... did you fishing try fishing side saddle like SM ..

19. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

That looks like an absolute blast ;D

Cant be a bad catch for a first trip out

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I never at any point felt vunerable. I can,t compare it with any other, as you know i,m a complete novice but felt totally at ease. Yes, I fished side saddle all the time but in the shots I passed my camera to Iain and was just hovering around ready to take my camera back. It was quite funny when we came in as the sea had built slightly and there was a bit of lift in the edge and by more luck than judgement I got a lift on a swell which slid me up the sand and I just stepped out, obviously to the admiration of the spectators on the beach ;D I was trying to look very cool but I was thinking how the hell did I do that. :eek: