1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mackerel

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Rofin, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Rofin

Rofin New Member

Hi, Anyone know if Mackerel are to be had from the harbour wall at Bridlington or Scarborough?

2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

scarborough anywhere at high water for mackerel, best spots are marine drive, east pier end all the way back to the luna park. west pier also produces at high water. Try not to fish where boats are harboured / moored up. marine drive will also produce pollak on mackerel lures at times so keep a good grip on ya rod...:D

3. Rofin

Rofin New Member

Great information faraday many thanks. Would my beach gear be ok or something smaller?

4. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i use a 9ft shimano spinning rod, but if you have plent of space you can use something like a 12ft fixed spool rod and reel, i used to years ago. work ok but hard work.

5. Rofin

Rofin New Member

Thanks again I think I will go for the spinning rod.

• Like Like x 1
  6. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Hi. Have you had any luck with the mackerel?
    I'm prob over on Saturday.
    Thanks K

7. Rofin

Rofin New Member

I went last Sunday for a look but no fishing. A few fishing at the end of the wall don't know what they had . Got loads of feathers and spinners now so will re-visit this Sunday and give it a go. Good luck if you give it a try.

8. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Thanks mate. Good luck

9. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Any news on the mackie guys. I didn't manage to get over.

10. Rofin

Rofin New Member

Hi Danno, I managed to land a couple and my mate got 6, tasted fantastic! I used my beach rod with a Abu black max 6600 using feathers not very far from the wall.

11. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Thanks Rofin.
    Sounds like a plan for next week. I went to Filey just on bay side of the brigg.
    Got quite a few off my yak good couple of hours up to high tide. IMG_1798.JPG

12. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Hi again Rofin.
    Just out of interest, where on the wall were you fishing?
    And thanks again for the info so far.
    Regards D

13. Rofin

Rofin New Member

We fished about half way down as the end was a bit busy. But with an impressive a bag like that I would stick with Filey well done mate.

14. Newfish

Newfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mackeral are well and truly in at the moment ! Took 40 in as many minutes yesterday about 150ft off marine drive on my little boat ! ! 21314573_10159206199550545_6027398340987285970_n.jpg

15. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

Thanks again Rofin. it's good on the yak, but honestly like fishing from the walls.
    Reminds of my dad taking me when I was a lad.
    Cheers

16. danno

danno ONE COD WOULD DO

That's me sorted for the weekend then, thanks for the info

17. Rofin

Rofin New Member

Hi Danno, If your like me clambering up a down cliffs and long hikes with gear is not appealing so the easier the better.
    Cheers.

18. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

im going to have a go at gare tomorrow breezy but if you dont try
    need some for bait booked mog end of oct

19. basha

basha Blenny

well stocked up with makky now,bout 300 in freezer.
    simmo went to gare yesterday said it was a dead loss,much more of this weather will see them dissapear.

20. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

went this morning sea horrendous so came home
    thats some freezer bud i can only get about 20 in mine
    how did mull trip go