1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mackerel Fishing In The North East [where are they]

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by frank avey, Jun 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i know this year has been a funny one with the cold and sea temps well behind but i,ve being seeing reports from wales scotland and all over the place about how thin on the ground the mackerel are with people struggling to get enough for bait for a days fishing.
    some will have hit on them but i,ve never seen so many reports this late about them failing to turn up.
    do you think it has anything to do with the huge palegic boats scooping 500 tonnes a time or the nordic boats from the faroes and iceland that have refused to accept a quota and have set their own at three times the agreed sustainable level.
    lets hope they see sense and preserve the stocks but i doubt it as greed usually wins the day.

frank.

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: mackerel [where are they]

Nope, its the weather. In the 70's and 80's when we had the last set of cold winters and springs, the macerel were never seen on this coast untill mid July, usually around the time we broke up from School.

With the milder winters of the 90's and early 2000's they started to show up earlier and earlier, and one year I think they showed in May, but this was far from the norm.

Now we have gone through the coldest winter in 50 years and we are back at how things used to be.

Expect to see them in numbers around Mid July.

3. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nope, its the weather. In the 70's and 80's when we had the last set of cold winters and springs, the macerel were never seen on this coast untill mid July, usually around the time we broke up from School.

Glen,

you can also include the 60's for the above statement, odd ones caught in late june /early july

when we also broke up from school, we used to see who could be first to 100 mackerel on float only.

a bit like the winter cod fun compo that ends in dec.

last Thursday was the first time ive seen gulls diving for small sand eels along the beach from

saltburn to marske, mm, I thought if it stays settled & clear a couple of night /dawn sessions in order

for the bass, but, this NW wind has put paid to that, now only the oystercatchers about & drop

in temp, its like winter out there to-day.

4. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

My brother-in-law lives in Buckie in NW Scotland. He was down here visiting at the end of April and said the kids were catching mackerel "by the bucketful" in the harbour and going door to door selling them. How come they were inshore that far north so early :suspious:

5. Baramundi Bob

Dont think they ever go far away from NW Scotland its in the middle of the Gulf Stream, the water there is tropical by comparison to the east coast. I also think Mackell Migrate south down the north sea in Summer, So Northumberland and higher up east coast get them before us.

6. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I spent over 3 hours looking for mackerel in the Solent. I even went so far as to paddle out to the Forts, a mackerel hotspot, and found nothing. I managed a single macky just before I recovered to the beach. Quite depressing!

7. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i hope you are all right about them turning up,
    i love fresh grilled mackerel not the frozen crap that the supermarkets sell,
    dull ,wrinkled skin and the eyes sunk that they look like they have been pecked out,not in the same league as freshly caught solid fleshed beautys .
    look forward to a few for the barbie as well.

frank

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

dull ,wrinkled skin and the eyes sunk ald makkie looks a bit like you Frank :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: used to be last two weeks in july when our dad used to take us on holiday over on the east coast into pritchards for a couple of makkie spinners and have hours of fun tight lines Alain

9. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Hmmm - I meant NE Scotland Glenn :embarrass: It's between Inverness and Fraserburgh.
    Guess they were on their way down, having come round past John o' Groats then!

10. IanB

IanB Blenny

According to local info there are lots of mackeral between 5 & 10 miles off, just a while now till we get some warm settled weather and they'll be in mate. :yes:

11. Baramundi Bob

Yep heard the same myself. Rich Cope said he had a lot today but that was 18 mile off. Shouldnt be long now though. Small tides, settled weather and the first ones will hit the shore next week or week after.

12. Mike

Mike Blenny

This is off my records:

Mackerel in on 25 June at Whitby. 2002.
    Mackerel in on 8 June at South Gare 2003.
    Mackerel in on 31 May at South Gare 2004
    Mackerel in on 24 May at South Gare 2005
    Mackerel in on 23 June at South Gare 2006
    Mackerel in on 14 May at South Gare 2007
    Mackerel in on 3 June at Jetty 2008
    Mackerel in on 15 June at Jetty 2009
    Mackerel in on 5 June at Jetty 2010
    Mackerel in on 8 June at Jetty 2011
    Mackerel in on 29 May at jetty 2012

13. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

just had a couple of hours down the gare :sad: one mackie caught 6 ish :sad: couple of terns diving other than that nowt.

14. Baramundi Bob

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=543486685698100&set=a.407535319293238.88576.211560138890758&type=1

15. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Reports of a few have been caught this morning of the Whitby west pier.
    Charter boat skippers reporting lots just a couple of miles offshore today.

16. Boro5707

Boro5707 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Think we're about 2 month behind with the coldest winter in decades. They will come eventually.

17. Stevie

Stevie Blenny

None down the south gare tonight while i was there (3 hours). Did fowl hook 3 very small sand eels and a spratt on daylites. There was 100 + Turns diving and feeding about 300mtrs out. Mackerel have been showing for a week now. Had 5 last Wednesday and lost 3 to the seals on Sunday night.

18. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

filled the boat with them yesterday on 4 mile, other boats had similar theyre on their way . . . .