1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lure fishing for Sea Bass

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by nik09, May 1, 2015.

1. nik09

nik09 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Folks,

New to the forum and was after some pointers from you knowledgeable folks!

Over the years I have done a lot of boat fishing in the North East which can take up a lot of time especially when little kids get in the way!

I have always had a 10ft spinning rod and reel in the garage and after looking at various items on the internet I thought I would give lure fishing for sea bass and other species a ago as this would be ideal for a few hours on an evening in the summer especially living only a mile away from the coast.

I don't see many people around the north east coast doing this type of fishing in the summer as people are mainly looking for Cod or Mackerel.

I know a lot of marks are well guarded secrets but I have attached a link to photos of the areas I intend to fish and was enquiring if these were the right type of areas? All the photos were taken yesterday at low tide. The depth varies from about 30cm to a 1000cm. After the rocks the area is mostly sandy.

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132182352@N08/sets/72157651881552518/

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You've identified all the right areas, now you just need to give it a go

3. nik09

Thanks Brian appreciate that. I'm looking forward to it!

4. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Theres loads of lures to go with, Diawa Minnows, Maria Chase, Rapala's, Yo Zuri, Storm Thundersticks in all sorts of patterns and actions, some floating some sinking and some suspending

You'll spend a small fortune on feeding your habit but on the plus side, you wont spend much in the pub, its an interesting learning curve though

5. nik09

Yes, looking at most articles there is a vast array of lures!! Roll on June and hopefully some good fishing.

6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Nick,
    That looks great ground. You have got me wanting to know where it is!
    :)

First things first, check out your rod rating. Wants to be between 5-45g. Centring around 20g certainly, as most decent lures are 5g either side.
    Length is great for our ground generally, where distance or manoeuvring fish round Boulder beds are important.
    If I was fishing there, I would use -
    Tackle House Feed Shallow
    Fiish Minnow kaki
    Rapala Max Rap 10/13 in Ayu
    And a top water, small Chug Bug or Z Claw.
    Something like those.

Metals rarely work well. Occasionally a small Dexter in surf.

These are all surface, shallow divers, floaters or weedless.
    Smaller better earlier in season.
    Don't buy cheap unless you KNOW good things, or get a deal. Best to get 3-4 good lures, like those listed, and really put some time and effort in.
    It is tempting to buy cheap tat, but usually a false economy and will end up in your box of doom.
    We have mostly all been there, and have overflowing boxes!
    Good luck.

7. nik09

Lipslicker, Thanks for the hints. Been away for a few days so I have just caught up with the posts. The Tackle House Feed Shallow seems to be the one everyone has in thier box so the purchase has already been made! It can be quite snaggy I think so the next lures I'll be looking at are weedless.

8. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yes, looks very snaggy there.
    Must admit I don't use Fiiish Minnow, but that is why I suggested it. Heard good things.
    This is one I had suggested to me - a soft, weedless, top water popper - which might be perfect for that ground

http://www.artoffishing.co.uk/lures/zman-pop-shadz-5?filter=24

Good luck

9. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Ben, really like the look of those Z Man pop shads, I dont do a lot of lure fishing, but as you say I have a couple of boxes full of all sorts of stuff.... gathered over the years.
    Those Shads, look to have a good action, weedless,and are cheap enough to not worry if one gets "hung up"

Thanks for the heads up, going to try some....

Roger.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

11. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The location in your photos look very much like the bay at Old Hartley just south of Seaton Sluice, I have fished there a few times for Cod but not for Bass. I would say that if you are persistent in that area particularly where the tide comes round the end you should find a Bass or 2 or even the odd Pollack or Coalfish.

Good luck. ;)

12. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice can I just ask any you need to wait until June mate? I think people have the same perception about cod fishing and say roll on October when they are there every big blow up. Bass don't dissappear on our coast in fact last winter produced more Bass than last summer by a long shot I saw Bass caught nearly every time I fished the sand and not just one location. I know lads are plugging for bass now and catching the odd ones around on our marks. As for lures don't look past the fiiish black minnows they are out fishing the hard plastic lures 5-1 and personally last season from April I caught some nice bass then it went dead and no one was catching bass all through the summer probably due to the huge amounts of of small live bait in the water but the fish were taking the fiiish minnows and with them being a week less system I can fish them in the likes of cow bar gully that is rough as he'll yet I have not lost a single lure yet and they are designed so that you can change the body and colour in seconds so it's a much better system than a £25 hard plastic lure that could possibly last you one cast before you loose it. Don't forget get your gear out now you certainly don't need to wait until June the bass are there all the time just change your lures to suite the colder water and don't forget when bouncing a soft plastic off the bottom on the sand slow your retrieve down to a snails pace and I'm certain if you pick the right spots you will catch bass on the lures now. Hope this helps.

13. nik09

Folks, thanks for the replies you have just confirmed to me what I was thinking. I was going to start in the next week to see if I get any luck! I have been down to the same area tonight at high tide and I have attached the link to the album below. There is roughly 1-2m of water over the rocky ground shown in the previous album with some of the larger rocks just under the surface. Any comments would be appreciated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132182352@N08/sets/72157650061031933/