1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luce bay yesterday - if at first you don't succeed!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by goaty, Jul 20, 2010.

1. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well was invited to stay up there Sunday for a spot of fishing by my friend (Jon) who's family have a farm close to Port William. Set off up there about 7pm Sat nite and just took my beach fishing gear as the weather was forecast a bit dodgy for going out in a boat.
    Sunday morning though woke up and despite it being wet and windy the sea didn't look so bad! So then a change of plan and we decided to go out to sea a little way for some mackeral (what with them being easy to catch and young Mathew having never been fishing before!)
    An hour later we were down on the beach and a spot of vigorous paddling had us past the breakers and out to sea! :scare:
    All i had was my rough ground rigs so i made one fit for the boat rod and chucked it out with a lump of makkie while the others tried feathers..

[​IMG]

At this point we had an issue when a large Gannet attacked the mackeral feathers just as a full house was being lifted out the water! :surprise: With a whole mackeral in its beak it then got caught in the line and started to panic. Luckily Jon (while holding the rod with one hand), grabbed its head with the other and i managed to lean out and release it again! :embarrass:
    Phew! But it was nice to see it safely fly away.
    Well by now the rain was really coming down and we had drifted abit towards the shore when suddenly the line on my rod just took off going like a train! :surprise:
    About 10min later after a good fight a decent tope was on the surface wollowing next to the boat! :surprise:
    Well untill then i had never even come close to catching one....
    So Jon reached over to grab its tail but missed,(!), the fish went beserk and the 40lb line parted!! AH MAN! Gutted!! :cry: :sad:
    Never mind, what can you do? We were all abit down but anyway i tied on another hook (this time to a hooklength made using some 80lb line off another rig body) and tried again.
    15 minutes later and i thought i'd hooked the sea bed?? :suspious:
    Hell no its another fish on!!Yay!!, - off we go again!! :happy:
    But about 5min later AAAAAARGGHH!!!! The 80lb lines bitten clean through!! S**t!! :no: :sad: :sad:
    Bugger what a letdown. :sad: Then Jon said he knew where there's some steel taces at home!!
    Ok i said lets get them!! So we motor'd back to the shore and on arrival a wave kindly threw us onto the beach, (incidently covering the boat and contents in fine seaweed!)
    Then i waited with Mathew while Jon drove back to the farm and returned a short time later clutching an old steel trace complete with a monstrous looking hook! :surprise:
    So once more we launched and once again getting past the first breaker was a struggle! However now more determined than ever we paddled like hell, put the outboard down and motor'd over to the same spot opposite a little cove.
    Once more a decent portion of mackeral bait was offered overboard and we sat quietly waiting!
    Then it happened - everything went slack!
    I wound in like mad and then suddenly the rod tip went over and the fish was on!
    And this time the Gods were with us and we got it in the boat! My first ever tope! Yay! :happy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not as big as the first fish that we got to the surface, we had no scales to weigh it but this one was as long as the spare paddle (which is just over 4ft long) so maybe 20lb?? :whatever:
    Anyway the fish was carefully returned and so then i gave Jon the rod for him to try for one!
    Incredibly about 20 min later he had landed one too! :surprise:

[​IMG]

About the same size as my fish but slightly shorter than the paddle. Same again we carefully put it back in the water.
    So that was that!
    We set off back to shore, a fine first fishing trip for Mathew and for us a better idea of what to do next time! :yes:
    cheers,
    julian

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thoroughly enjoyed that lads, a brilliant read of a fantastic day afloat, memories that will stay with you guys a lifetime. Luce bay an amazing place isn't it?

Ken

3. The Apprentice

The Apprentice Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think I enjoyed your writing and photos nearly as much as you clearly did... why do photos of tope always make them look so suprised :happy:

Looks like you might have set a bit of a trend... that could be an expensive one!!!

4. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thankyou! Yes it was a day to remember! I think were going back again next weekend!!

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Goaty thanks for posting the pictures and report the port william side seems to be fishing for tope better than the ardwell side or it was when i was up there stick with it you will soon get the bigger fish you might need a bigger boat Ha Ha tightlines Alain

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Cracking report Julian with some very nice fish there bud. Well done allround, bet you were all chuffed to bits with that fine day's fishing (and rightly so!) :yes:

7. Mick

Mick They're out there!

Well done mate, some super shots there....................mind your fingers!!

:happy:

8. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Great fishing - love that first tope photo!

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Grea stuff, I think its bout time I caught one of them there tope things.

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done on the catch lads ,you were certainly determind to get one , very good story with the photo,s :cool:

11. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Those photos have just whetted my appetite, were' going to the Mull shortly for 10 days, cant' wait!, dont' fancy one of those tope in the kayak though!

12. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

what a brill read!...well done goaty.next stop brid bay?

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A good report there with some cracking photos, thanks for posting

14. snap off!

snap off! Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

howdo, well done lads with sum nice fish