1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a new plugging rod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by sambam, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sambam

sambam Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi lads just after a bit of advice, the wife has jus t snapped the tip of my rod that i use for plugging it was a berkley cherrywood and i really liked the rod but i think they discontinued that perticular model, so before i go out and get a new rod what would you guys recommend for less than 50, was looking at an abu vendetta or mabey the berkley cherrywood pro 2. any suggestions??

thanks in advance

sam

2. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

3. sambam

4. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

http://www.shutupandfish.co.uk/epages/es136649.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es136649/Products/Hiro-2068

http://www.shutupandfish.co.uk/epages/es136649.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es136649/Products/Hiro-2065

These might fit your budget though the second may be a bit light for what you want.

There is always the very popular Bushwhacker XLNT which gets favourable reviews and starts around £56

Missed these 2 off both maybe within your price range

http://www.italiafishing.co.uk/shop/modularis-spin-50g-c-84_352_353.html

http://www.italiafishing.co.uk/shop/pride-spin-ii-270-rod-p-238.html

5. andym

andym Rockling

6. andym

andym Rockling

The abu vendetta looks a cracking rod but for me the cork handle lets it down as they look grubby in no time and not as hard wearing at least not in my experience just my opinion for what its worth

7. sambam

8. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not keen on the reel seat on the quantum, as for the Abu I hear that some of there spinning rods are pretty fragile. Difficult to know what your budget is since you started off on sub £50 then you were considering a £80 quantum, anyway slap bang in the middle of that is the bushwAcker, I've never used one but a lad I fish with has one and he loves it, also you won't find many bad words about them on the various forums out there, in fact savage gear produce some pretty good stuff.

9. sambam

thanks for the reply ijakk, i seen the quantum was on offer from 135 to 80 which is a good saving and thats why i considerd changing my budget.

i keep hearing good things about the bushwacker they seem very popular rods, the berkley i had was 9ft 9-28g which i felt was good so was thinking of looking for somthing similar,

iv narrowed it down to the

vendetta - looks like a good rod for the price, not many reviews so could be hit or miss

bushwacker - tried and tested, very popular

or if i decide to spend an extra 30 squid
    the quantum salsa - was 135 but down to 80 so getting alot of rod for the money

or sonic sk4, again seems a good rod for the money
    i just have to make a decision

10. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think like Buzz said above the Rovex is probably the best of the bunch, a rod designed for plugging.

Sonik Sk4's are supposed to be pretty soft.

11. sambam

thanks for that beece i forgot about that one

12. swordfish820

swordfish820 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

the bushwacker, its a superb rod for the price

13. swordfish820

swordfish820 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

14. robq

robq Rockling

I love my bushwacker :happy:

Especially at the £45 that I paid for it a few years back before the sales went throught the roof and they put the prices up :whatever:

15. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Quantum seems a bit on the heavy side casting weight wise 25-50g isn't it, if your chucking mostly subsurface plugs your probably not casting anything heavier than 25g, but and it's a big but stated casting weight can sometimes be misleading. The best advice I can give is think very carefully about your budget and if you can afford it spend it, don't be blind sided by reduced prices they are reduced for a reason, consider what you will use the rod for now and in the future, email mick/ mrfish jersey get his opinion, he knows his stuff and won't rip you off but don't expect an immediate response to your email, things seem to operate at a slow pace in tax havens lol, or give him a ring. Ben at art of fishing is worth a try too, then there's monster tackle, lure heaven, pro lures direct, bass lures, bass masters few others I can't remember right now.

Rich

16. sambam

cheers for all the help lads, havent quiet made my mind up yet im worse than a woman
    its a flip of the coin between the bushwacker and the rovex plugger
    im going to pm a few lads of here who own the bushwacker and rovex and get there opinions before ordering one friday

i dont think i can loose with either of the two to be honest

so thanks again for all your help lads

sam