1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mww

mww Rockling

...apart from all the debate & discussion around overfishing, etc, this has got me a bit interested in the technique of longlining with artificials...now I'm aware that static longlining is a valid technique for various species, that commercial jigging for various species with strings of artificials is a valid technique, & that a few guys "down south" mainly successfully target certain species (!) with trolled artificials...just interested that someone seems to be going to try a conglomeration of the 3....

Now call me a cynic, but static longlining (assuming that's what's being proposed - I tired of the thread quite early so may be missing the point) with artificial lures is probably the one technique that would be most effective at doing minimal damage to stocks of anything....if you know what I mean!?

Mart

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

First post for a while guys,a forum member rang me today and said to have a look at this thread :happy: I didn't think it appropriate to post any more due to it being pointed out to me that i have "commercial interests" by another forum member,so to avoid conflict i think it's only right.

Firstly can i say that on this post and the other post regarding the bass fishery at flamborough,there has been very few constructive suggestions being put forward for solutions to the proposals.
    Basically the majority opinion is feck the commercials we want it all for ourself,very little fact and plenty of speculation,most of which have no knowledge of the fishing industry whatsoever :no:
    The main problem i see,is the fact that the vast majority of posters on the 2 bass topics class a "commercial" as a "commercial" and that's it.It seems that most people tar the under 10 fleet with the same brush as "the super trawlers" which makes my pi$$ boil.
    I 100% guarentee you it's not the under 10 fleet you need to be worrying about,they have VERY little impact on things in inshore waters,there will come a time in the not too distant future where recreational anglers and the under 10 fleet will need to work together as we are all fishing the same inshore grounds,maybe just maybe all the bridges will be burned by then when they read and hear comments like "i couldn't give a feck about all the commercials being put out of work,i won't lose any sleep over it".

The proposed 5 bass licenses at Flamborough shouldn't worry anybody so long as it is enforced correctly,the general consensus on here is ,shoot your net,haul it an hour later,pack the 300 kilo of bass you have just caught,sell it at the market and buy a new flash car with all the proceeds,it simply doesn't work like that.Have your say at the upcoming meetings,but im my opinion,seeing it from both sides,i would agree with the 5 new licenses under the proviso that it is reviewed 12 months later,with the option of bringing in by laws to restrict things should the netters have a huge year.Like Glenn has mentioned elsewhere on here,driftnets are not the deadly beast people think they are,i too was in conversation with a guy from the south coast who i bought my net hauler off.He has been drift netting for years for bass and gave me some very good advice,he also told me that EVERYTHING had to be right on the day,tide,wind,water clarity plus another couple of things,he ended the conversation by saying,all these elements come together perfectly "noot very often" :wink: :happy:

From personal experiance,i know if the 5 licenses are issued to under 10 boys who are potting as well,it won't be an every day thing as when the lobsters are in,you can't leave them alone :wink:

I assure you if people go to these meetings and basically say feck the commercials,we want it all for ourself,it will come back and bite recreational anglers at some time,be it bag limits or closed areas,that is what they will seek to even things out.

Another thing is the shortage of cod from the shore this year,most people are of the opinion there is none about this winter :surprise: i can assure you there is PLENTY of cod around inside,the under 10 netters have had a big year working the inside grounds from the end of january to the 2nd week of march.Just because we haven't been catching it from the shore doesn't mean the sea is baron of cod.There was heaps of the stuff from Hartlepool right down to the holderness coast :surprise:

My opinion is the reason that we weren't catching it from the shore was the fact it was all STUFFED with herring and not particularly on the feed :wink: This backed up by the fact that when the netters were doing well,there was 2 of us lining in among them.The netters were getting 60-70-80 stone a day,the lines were catching NOTHING, i shot over 2000 hooks for about 2 stone of cod,all hooks baited with prime unwashed squid,that in itself tells a story

Unfortunately i had to watch them landing it all day as due to being made redundant in october and only have 4 weeks of the lobster season lesft to crack on,i couldn't afford to buy the required nets,it was absolutely heartbreaking.Just for the record,for all those on here that think all commercials are loaded and w.ankers,i have not earned a wage since 2 weeks before christmas.

I may/may not invest in a bass driftnet and am planning to target some pollock this year,will i lose any sleep over it if a couple of people think i'm a dudaa for doing it? definitely not,just for the record,i have fished flamborough for around 15 years for the bass and had my share,i can honestly say i have not taken 1 FISH home,every one has been released,much the same with my pollock.

There was 50 odd boxes of bass on the market last friday from 3 trawlers,nobody hears about that and let me assure you out of say 55 boxes of bass i bet 1 box was of fish over 2lb in weight :surprise:

There is one VERY EASY WAY to aile all your fears,but i can't give it on here as i have to work with fellow commercials on a daily basis,it's not the hardest solution in the world and as yet not one person has mentioned it :wink: :happy:

tight lines for a bit..Mart :happy:

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Welcome back for abit smokester , nice to hear your wise words .....wise words which were very well put.... :yes:

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Mart,

I am with you most of the way about the under 10's and would agree that they pose little threat in real terms. I am concerned a little about the five nets. I dont really oppose them but I acknowledge that other people do. I am wondering what you think would happen if all 5 licensed netters turned up at Falmborough 1 morning, 1 place a net halfway between the head end and south landing, 1 placed a net at head end. 1 put 1 about 100 yards out from south landing, 1 put one 500 yards further south and another was placed another 500 yards south again.

Five nets arent a problem spread across the area of head end to withersea. But 5 nets in the middle of what could be considered a nursery area.

What are your thoughts Mart, as someone who has fished the area as an angler, would you be happy with that scenario. With bass retailing as high as £18 a kilo on the quoy in summer I dont find it difficult to imagine that some boats may leave the pots ashore for a few days a month.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats my fears too Glen ...

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

The honest answer is i couldn't tell you 100% for sure.Don't get me wrong,they will catch a few but no-one can say for sure.Like i said earlier Glenn,i honestly believe the best course would be to agree in principal this year on the understanding that it will be reviewed next year and that if things did need changing,provisions would be made to amend the local by laws.

Like i said earlier,work out the "EASY" missing solution and the impact will be very low on the stocks at flamborough. all the best..Mart

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Bloody typical reply from a commercial :blindfold: :laugh: :laugh:. Im off to paint the shed.

Tight lines Mart :wink: :happy:. Hope you continue to visit us from time to time mate.

8. smokey

smokey Rockling

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

You don't fancy doing some paerwork do you Glenn,all these rules and regs you wouldn't believe :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Longline

Think there is two threads going on together here, just getting back to the original thread and what MWW mentioned just a few post back does anyone really think artificial lures on static lines will actually plunder the bass stocks? I would of thought they would be lucky to catch anything on static lures... Or am i missing the point?

10. langy

langy Rockling

I would of thought it would be very effective having artificial lures for bass.

11. GJW

GJW Rockling

Maybe your right Langy, but would of thought they would be more productive trolled?

12. langy

langy Rockling

Certainly would be more effective if they were moving from behind the boat. But wont they move arund with the tide ???

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

I apologise for hijacking the thread Gary :wounded:

They sure would young Langy :happy: tight lines

14. langy

langy Rockling

I think the thread went two ways because of me saying things for the COMMERCIAL fisherman

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Nice to see you on here smokey. Drop me a pm of hows the boat is going. Oh and give langy a clip behind the ear from me. Lol.

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I remember a lot of years ago the late john brennan tryed useing a long line with artificial lures on they were muppets and the results were very poor to say the least if a fish hadnt taken hold by the time the line reached the sea bed it was game over they fished very poor .

paul.

17. IanB

IanB Blenny

Nice to hear from you again Smokey, I was wondering how you were getting on.

By your its good to see your young un (nephew) with such a passion about something, I just cant believe so many "grown men" would argue with him :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I for one miss some of your post, and your'e right my mate has been netting about 6.5 mile off and had a cracking month in march and he said the smaller fish were full of spratt/small fish and all the bigger fish are absolutely stuffed with herring. There is definately plenty about they just didnt need to come in shore with food a plenty. :wink: :educated:

18. langy

langy Rockling

19. render

render New Member

nub - urban dictionary, defintion 3

20. steerser

steerser Blenny

Bill Blackwell had a go at it out of Staithes. It was an absoloute waste of time.