1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

:yes:

2. kipper

kipper New Member

the kid is ignorant and purile, if i see him long lining i will slap his leg. stick to plumbing with your dad.

dad, keep your boy controlled.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I agree Dink that small timers do no damage to cod stocks. I would prefer it if the under 10 fleet were encouraged and I know a lot of people who agree with that. I was present not so long back when an x trawlerman and now staff member of NESFC said that the under 10m longliners should have no quota. Its the most common sense commnt I have ever heard from a commercial trawler skipper, However im sure the fact he is now an x skipper makes him see things slightly different to the current ones.

I would love to see a port like Whitby full with the under 10 boats like it was in the days when I was growing up. Go back to the 70's and 80's and the place was full of under 10's and had it stayed that way then things would be ok now. Sadly greed got a grip and the likes of Arnold Locker got pound signs in their eyes and they became millionaires (by hook or by crook methods).

Sadly those under 10'a are being pushed out of the game. Tiny quotas mean the job is hardly viable for some (as Im sure you and your father know all about it). My belief is that the lobbying power of the NFFO and the over 10 metre boats mean they have pinch your slice of the quota. Quite why DEFRA allowed this to happen I dont know but looking at it objectively I would guess its easier for them to manage a small fleet of over 10's rather than a large fleet of under 10's. So I think your paying the price.

As for bass fishing I arent sure of the effects a small under 10 can have on a bass population. I would rather not find out the hard way though, so I believe a common sense approach must be taken to limited commercial fishing in the early days to see what impact the extraction of bass has on the stocks. Sustainability in its truest sense has to be the way forward. The best way is to start slow and see what happens, if taking a few bass out each year is sustainable then let it continue, and if its not then put a stop to it. A free for all is not the way forward so I believe drift netting and lining in the inshore waters should not be banned but at the same time it shouldnt be a free for all, get it while you can approach.

Wether the commercial boys and the NESFC will see things the same way ? who knows, time will tell, But I do know there will be a serious amount of pisssed off anglers around if the bass fishing goes the same way as the cod has over the past few years.

4. langy

langy Rockling

who the fuck is ignorant and purile!! joka.. id like to see that

5. Baramundi Bob

Insults will be removed

6. robq

robq Rockling

Norway and Iceland have the right idea :yes:

Keep the big boys out of their waters and have a sustainable fishery made up of small netters and longliners.

Langy I think you are on a hiding to nothing :whatever:

I think that once again you have popped on here to wind a few poeple up and ruffle a few feathers now that you are working on a commercial boat.

If it is your genuine belief that its a mans right to fish the sea until its deviod of life !! then I think you would be better keeping it to yourself as you certainly wont get any sympathy on here.

7. langy

langy Rockling

i don't care if i don't get sympathy i didn't intend to get none but its my own opinion .. Why is it alright for him to offend me !!!! and its not because i work with my uncle now and again (smokey) its my right to have a say.

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

No body has a problem with sustainable fishing but langy its not sustainable the way they have gone === FACT , when you are in a hole rule one
    stop digging , and do you know something i DONT BELIEVE that YOU believe what you are saying !!!!!!!!!!! No body has the right to drive a
    speices to extinction , NOBODY === FACT , Whether it be blue fin tuna , tigers, orang outan. mountain gorrilas all have the same right to exist
    as we do , FACT , the human race knackers everything it touches :vomit: :scare: :cry: :yes:

9. Baramundi Bob

Hi Langy, If you feel someone has insulted or been rude to you please hit the report button of the post and tell me us why its offensive to you. If we feel it to be a personal attack myself or one of the others will remove it for you. My comment above was not aimed at you.

I also know that your uncle Smokey does not believe in driving a species to extinction. From memory he made some posts about some commercial practices in the past that were similar to the ones the lads here have made. I think Smokey dislikes some of the commercial practices as much as us. Next time you sail with him, ask him his thoughts on the herring spawn cod fishery. You would do well to listen to uncle Smokey a little bit more, hes a wise owl you know.

10. langy

langy Rockling

yeah he tells me about things like that

11. Baramundi Bob

Well young rooster, you should listen to wise old uncle smokey, he knows whats right and wrong out there.

12. langy

langy Rockling

Yeah i now

13. Dink

Dink Blenny

thats right Glenn,, they are wanting as many under 10 boats out of the job as possible, small cod quotas mean we are having to change methods, and try and catch different species. I dont think that much drift netting, or lining for bass will take place in the summer, as there will be that many pots on the grounds where boats would want to drift with the nets.

I like my angling as much as anyone else, but fishing is also my job, and if catching a few bass to boost the catch, means i get a wage at the end of the week then so be it.

14. littlefisherman

littlefisherman New Member

the Queens not bothered if you take some sand from the sea, but if you drop an anchor in one of her harbours then her son, The Duke of Cornwall, gets 20p

In 2003, the Duchy earned £9,943,000, a sum that was exempt from income tax, though the Prince of Wales chose to pay the tax voluntarily.

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Hows he doing mate, will have to pop and see Smokey soon :happy: Miss his contributions....

16. langy

langy Rockling

Yeah he should be fine haven't heard off him for a while, don't think he comes on here no more.. yeah just let him no when your over he'll be up for a chat :D.. Langy

17. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Will drag the caravan up to Country Park sometime soon, you'll have to come over for a beer and get you on a yak :happy:

18. langy

langy Rockling

Yeh will soon be summer :D beer ;) mmm lol .. cheers for the offer Ken

Langy

19. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Ken dont give langy beer. He is not old enough. Lol.
    Langy tell fat smokey next time he is down in scarborough to call in the shop

20. kipper

kipper New Member

no offence langy sorry if i upset you mi boy. it wasnt glen that upset you it was me. just a sore point what with all the fish disappearing.