1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. robq

robq Rockling

Langy look what happened to the grand banks of the east coast of the USA !!

Once one of the biggest cod fisheries in the world that was overfished to the point where it NEVER recovered, due to the greed and lack of foresight of the commercial fleet and powers that could have done something about it :sad:

Are you saying that this should be allowed to happen here just because its a mans "right" to ??

Why does anyone have the right to destroy a natural resource ??

2. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

the greed of the commercial fishermen managed to bring this about off the eastern seaboard of canada , the whole industry collapsed and the
    fishing has never recovered , isnt that for arguments sake ------- EXTINCT ?

3. fff

fff Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

as many of you know bass are a slow growing fish and are Territorial you wont have to worry because after a season there wont be many fish left and it will take quite a few years to replenish the stocks.this has happened along the south coast and some areas are now barren of bass. you have been warned, its not big and its not clever

4. langy

langy Rockling

For saying something for a COMMERCIAL fisherman ???

5. fff

commercial fishing is fine. its just the target species. let the commercials target quick growing fish that move around
    they are more sustainable.

6. langy

langy Rockling

They don't just target bass, they normally target cod,

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

And in a manner that doesn't result in by-catch that is the result of netting/trawling. Certain forms of commercial fishing would be of a sustainable type such as long lining, but without doubt the bounty would be less than that of the big trawlers. As Big Cliff and Rob mention, the Grand Banks was left to be virtually fished out by fishermen "just earning a living" until about 30'000 people ended up with no work. So being left to earn a living didn't work there and the fish stocks still haven't recovered.

8. robq

robq Rockling

Langy you didnt answer my 2 questions

9. langy

langy Rockling

All i'm trying to get across here is that yes they have a right to fish where they want and to fill there quota, nobody is going to stop them whether you like it or not :D IF they do destroy the fish stocks which wont be for many many years, yeah it will be there own fault but they will have made there money.. Say if everyone one of you were one of these men who worked there arse off all day grafting on a trawler for many hours, i'm sure all of your opinions would change and you would agree with me, just because your not COMMERCIAL doesn't mean you have to be against it.. Langy

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

But what gives them the right to fish until the stocks are gone....of course that will be their fault....but what gives them that right ?

11. fff

langy they have no god given right to eliminate a species and should be heavily policed to ensure the healthy continuation of said species

12. langy

langy Rockling

It's a fucking job at the end of the day, its like any other job. I didn't say it wasn't sustainable. What gives them a right ?? everybody has a right. So the next time you put some pictures on the forum when you have caught fish thats just the same thing but with less fish.

13. langy

langy Rockling

Well they must have a right :happy: because wouldn't it be banned ??

14. fff

can only pray its banned soon then

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It could be argued that it is every man and womans right as humans to hunt to feed themselves and their family with food. Therefore it could also be argued that it is every anglers right to hunt and take food for the table for their family.
    It can never be a right to take all the fish to line the pockets of commercial fishermen...to the point that all those other peoples right to hunt a few fish, has been taken away from them.

Big big difference between a commercial concern fishing for swimming pound coins as opposed to the angler hunting a meal for the table.

16. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

So that's it then,no more cod,bass,then what?no more chip shops,no more fishing no more sea fishing tackle manufactors etc, and you certainly wont be putting post's up on any forums..hope that's not the future,that really would be sad.....for what?

17. langy

langy Rockling

No more cod theres fucking shit loads out there look at norway, thers still tonnes round here ?? Right like i said earlier which no one said nothing about it was.. What would you do if you were a COMMERCIAL fisherman grafting all day working long hours on end, would you wanna throw away your job just because most people are against it and i gaurantee your answer would be NO, you would want to be earning money for your family and not giving a shit about whats being said by other people am i correct ???

18. fff

langy you are not correct many people have to change jobs IE miners, steel makers and loads of others
    i myself changed from making cigarette machinery when smoking became a form of leprosy in the late 70s
    you have to move with the times and conditions. no sustainable fish no fishing.

19. langy

langy Rockling

where am i wrong ?

20. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Langly not all commercila fishing is bad longlineing is very conservation minded with practically zero discards you are only a young man and have no idea just how much fish there was off our coast especially places with good shore fishing like the marine drive and filey brig they are cronic to what they were 10 years ago just look at the results in the scarborough festival over the last few years they are shocking in the late 90ssd we had a dozen or sovery large scotch trawlers working down off our coast and the amount of cod they took over the 3or 4 winters they were down here was obscene many many 1000ss of boxes of cod were caught by these large boats and that doesnt count for what was thrown back over the side its called over fishing like i said longline fishing for cod is a perfect example of things will in time revert back to how it was before heavy bottom trawling started to make its mark in the 70ss it only took 25 years to bring it to what it is now prior to that the sea bed had never seen a trawl is that telling you something faroe island have a big longline fisherie with no trawling within miles of the coast again the reasons are obvious they manged there fisherie correctly.

paul.