1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

They wont have a job before long langy. Empty nets dont make money

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Problem is though Langy- once those fish have gone, no amount of money can buy them back.
    Then how does the fisherman make a living.
    My main point in getting involved with this was the scale of it (4500 hooks/lures) and the fact that it hardly seems 'small scale'.
    Have a look at this http://www.linecaught.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=114&Itemid=111

And while the bloke might not get as many fish as the 4500 hook longliner I'll bet he gets more money per pound and the stocks he fishes will be there a lot longer.

3. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

No one has a right to earn money by driving a species to extinction. They all want banning. You actually think they care about fish stocks?

it c##p all commercials do is moan about not enough fish too many quotas all been given a hard time and they'll be the first ones crying when theres nothing left to catch!

quite frankly i couldn't care less they should have managed the fish stocks better and not been so greedy like glen said if they loose jobs boohoo.

4. langy

langy Rockling

Well so be it, it's their choice at the end of the day and nothing is going to stop them, as long as they play by their quotas and rules i don't have a problem with any COMMERCIAL fisherman. Why does everybody have to be against these fisherman ??!!

5. wellycod

Because i'd like to think if i was a commercial fisherman i'd know i couldn't keep fishing the way i was if i wanted there to be fish for another day

6. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

The greed of the commercial fishing industry through the 80's and 90's has put the following generations out of work today, and not only have they put those people out of work they have also shafted our hobbey which puts a damn site more money into the local economies on this coast than anyone dragging a net behind a boat, and if they continue as they are then there will be non of them in work in 20 years.

The sooner the live for today and £uck tomorrow attitude is lost, the better.

The way i see it is its like on your other post Glenn what are we going to do about it ? To tell you the truth Nothing !the day and age we live in people dont give a stuff about the future, Governments cant decide about emissions or greenhouse gases unless they can put a fake tax on you to pay for it its all about profit and gain if they can sell licences and permits they will , thats why they are hell bent on trying to get you and i to buy a rod licence it will come eventually and by then the fishing will be all but finished anyway ,All the fishermen know whats happening to our fish stocks but does Joe public i fear not, the men and women in the towns and cities have no idea whats happening to the fishing industry ,they just go the supermarkets and buy some fresh fish on shopping day they havent got a clue about discards and quotas etc etc , how many times have you been fishing and someone comes and says what are you trying to catch and when you say Cod or bass etc they are amazed you can actually catch these fish from the shore its these people i think need educating and made to realise what state the industry is really in before its too late, just my opinion

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Not everyone has to be against them, as your demonstrating. Some are against them, some support them and some are indifferent. I think if you visited any angling site and there was no resentment of commercial fishing then it would be a truly unique place.

8. langy

langy Rockling

but why should anybody have the right to stop them from their job, would you like it if somebody came to you tomorrow and said your not having your job no more??!

9. the artist

the artist what a view , i think ill paint it or fish it

Hornets nest !!!!!

10. langy

langy Rockling

??

11. wellycod

thats totally different you cant compare fishing a species to extinction to another job! Is it harsh if they lost there jobs or they where stopped fishing? In my opinion no they've fished the seas into the state they are now its time they take some responsibility.

The problem is the vast majority know nothing of the goings on in our seas, i have noticed a recent increase in documentaries but will it increases peoples awareness probably not. If enough people cared things would change, enough people to effect the general election.

12. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Just to second what glenn says NO HE HASNT A GREATER RIGHT THAN ANYBODY ELSE TO FISH THE SEAS , we fish it he most likely given half a chance will plunder it , its all for today and to hell with tommorow :vomit: :sad: :yes: :yes:

13. bucko

bucko New Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting they pack it in altogether but simply that practices like the ones the past 30 years have seen can't go on.
    Look at that website I put up and the fisherman there have been at it for up to 50 years!
    At the end of the day, why pee on your own campfire when, with a bit of thought a better price can be got per lb.
    Think about it.
    Restaurants want bass.
    They also want a selling point like "Responsibly caught", "Line Caught" etc and the ability to prove its origin and provenance means more markup for them and a better market price per fish for the fisherman as well as much better prospects for the bass themselves.

14. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

15. wellycod

Just to clarify

i have no problem with commercial fishing as long as its done sustainably maybe commercials should be looking to diversify more and i actual think long lining is an excellent way to fish. I am however questioning this cases motives and to me he looks to be trying to make a quick buck.

Langy i have no problem with your views either and in a way i do feel sorry for todays commercial fisherman they've been left in the s#@t by previous skippers greed.

16. langy

langy Rockling

Yep and i have no problems with anyone of your views. Thats all fishing is for really making money, to the big trawlers.

17. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

You mean like what could happen in any other walk of life? Ask the miners, shipbuilders, steel workers... the boss tells them they're laid off, that's it.

Just explain why commercial fishermen get a god-given right to work that nobody else has?

18. langy

langy Rockling

It's their choice what they want to work as, some have been doing it many years and some are new at the game.Everybody has a right to work if its their own business or working for someone.

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I think it's a case of make your mind up,are you an angler who loves his sport and want's to see it survive,or do you want to see it distroyed by the biggest threat that man has ever seen(fact) look at it from all angles mate dont be blinkerd by anyone the choice is your's,this could be the last straw make no mistake!!

20. langy

langy Rockling

seriously how are is cod going to be extinct ??