1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kipper

kipper New Member

hooks

2. langy

langy Rockling

Y the it's a way of fishing from my point of view ?? Bass arnt everything you no.. pollock are a better fighting fish

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Pollack certainly fight well. Ive had some decent pollack but have never got upto that size on the bass fron so cant compare as yet.

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Harry has.
    .....I can compare both of similar size ie 6 to 7lb mark from the shore and can say the fights are totally different mainly due to the ground being fished and set up being used , the bass ran and the pollock dived , both took line with a corectly set clutch both were good fighters , but definetly different.....

5. Dink

Dink Blenny

Well said Langy :yes: :yes:

6. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

I would prefer a big pollack to bass any day. Dont know why but would be a bigger smile on my face with a pollack.

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

U wanna get uresell up sw scotland ducky or give the brigg a good going this summer.....

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

To put it simply....the forum is made up of largely, not exclusively, but largely, of anglers pursuing a sport/hobby and who enjoy catching and taking the odd fish for the table. The sport is going fishing with a rod and line and pitting their wits against the elements and the fish. So why do people become anti towards the commercials ??....does that not really answer itself ? With fish stocks struggling and disgards/quotas not helping things is there any wonder....the two are highly unlikely to sit comfortably with eachother.

9. Dink

Dink Blenny

Small commercial boats hardly do any damage to fish stocks, compared to trawlers. so why tar everyone with the same brush, not forgetting this was about a small boat going longlining and not a trawler towing for days on end!

10. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Because Langy then went on to defend the big trawlers as well.

Langy - would you care if the seas are stripped of fish because of over fishing? Because that's what's happening. And it's the f***ing commercials that are doing it, not us. They've done with the scottish herring, the cornish sardine, the newfoundland cod, and soon, the bluefin tuna... Just history mate, literally in case of some of those fish!

11. wellycod

wellycod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nothing wrong with long lining, or any small commercial work as long as you do it sustainably the problem is i expect this guy has noticed an increase in bass numbers up here seen the successes of the method down south but will he care about keeping stocks to fish for in the next 100 years?

I doubt it he probably just wants to make some quick cash over the summer.

but you cant really say the big trawlers work all that hard now with all todays technology the fish dont have a chance any more the systems too efficient.

12. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

If this guy has the foresight to try something new then good luck to him and I wish him every success.........he will need it because our coastline is not suited to this type of lining.As soon as the crabs/lobsters move back in the inshore fisheries will be bombarded with pots good luck to them also.Everyone has a right to make a living from the sea and long may it continue.
    The commercials get the blame for everything but even Iceland and Norway have them and look at their fish stocks.Its the stupid politicians that need looking at not the fishermen.

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Yep, and just how is it that Iceland and Norway manage their fish stocks? Do they let their commercial fishermen have unrestricted access, and allow unlimited quotas, and give out unlimited licences? If they did, every food company in Europe would set up a fishing company there and fish the seas out. No, they strictly control the fishing.

The fact is, if you let the commercials do what they want, it will be a free for all gold rush. Commercial fishermen have NEVER regulated themselves to be sustainable. Not anywhere. Just look at the history of commercial fishing all over the world. Their track record of keeping their own livelihoods going by conserving the fish stocks is CRAP! They won't do it. They're in it to make as much money as possible in their own lifetimes. There's no other reason to go to sea and risk life and limb.

14. langy

langy Rockling

NO i wouldn't care, there making money through their business. theres nothing wrong with commercial fisherman.. everybody has an entitled job to their satisfaction..

15. Baramundi Bob

No they arent. Ask the workers at Chorus if they are entitled to a job. In this day and age your damn lucky to have work. A lot more commercial fishermen could have been in work today if they hadnt adopted your couldn't care less attitude and its ok because were making money.

The greed of the commercial fishing industry through the 80's and 90's has put the following generations out of work today, and not only have they put those people out of work they have also shafted our hobbey which puts a damn site more money into the local economies on this coast than anyone dragging a net behind a boat, and if they continue as they are then there will be non of them in work in 20 years.

The sooner the live for today and £uck tomorrow attitude is lost, the better.

16. langy

langy Rockling

What i ment was nobody has to be slaved into doing what they don't want. they can choose what job they want,and no i haven't got a don't care attitude i just said that because Biscuitlad said that to me, it's there way of erning money not ours . So why shouldn't they be aloud to make money but it's fine when the tradesman earn money ??

17. Baramundi Bob

tRADESMEN ARENT DEPLETING A SHARED RESOURCE

18. langy

langy Rockling

So what if there not, everybodies still making money at the end of the day

19. langy

langy Rockling

Just because the big trawlers earn more money; catch more fish.. why should anybody have the right to stop them from their job.

20. Baramundi Bob

like I say, the sooner that attitude of "its ok beacause........" is lost, the better otherwise there will be nothing left and noone will be making money