1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LONGLINING WITH ARTIFICIALS IN THE NORTH EAST

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dan the pollock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

had a customer in the shop over the past few months ordering a heck of alot of artificial lures (sidewinders,jellyworms,shads etc) to go with 3 longlines with 1500 hooks on each which he ordered from spain.

he was telling me he will be targeting bass in the redcar area this summer.

how effective do you think this method will be? - hopefully not very

2. bassman

bassman Administrator

Hopefully he will not have much success i hope, is he commercial or not :suspious:

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

no he used to be a longliner a good few years back but he's getting back into it.

he was saying that some folks down south do really well lining with artificials

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

I have no idea what sort of catch rates might be the norm on a long line, but if it's only a 1 in 20 or 5% catch rate with 4,500 hooks that = 225 fish!

5. langy

langy Rockling

You have to make a living somewhere, better than buming around at home, doesn't no one on this forum like commercial fisherman ? They have more of a right than us to fish in the sea, they spend a lot of time finding places where the fish are, spend many hours baiting the pots/lines aswell as going to sea for numerous hours, buying the boat, all the fees they have to pay, it's a tiring job, and at the moment the fish/lobsters are not there. All the rod fisherman is just for pleasure, so why does everybody have a go as soon as you hear something about COMMERCIAL fisherman ?? Langy

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

And why is that then?

7. langy

langy Rockling

That has nothing to do with the commercial fleet, carnt the weather play a role in this ??

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Not saying it has everything to do with the commercial fleet langy. Not disputing the lads have a hard time of it aswell, but they ( teh bigger commericals) are to blame for the lack of fish through discards and stupid quotas.

P.S not havinga stab at you lads working on a small scale. Id much ratehr it be a fleet of under 20's longlining and potting over the big trawlers any day but its never going to happen :sad:

Dan

9. langy

langy Rockling

Same goes for the bigger trawlers, they work more hours, more gear which is more time at sea, more money going into the business. You have to make a living somewhere and i'd much rather spend my time at sea fishing and scenary rather than sat in a pocksy shop all day.

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

We have some latex sandeels in the shop that are made for commercial long lines.
    I dont have a problem with commercial as long is they play by the rules. As langy said people need to make a living

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

No they dont. Noone has any more right than anyone else.

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Very effective, bass are a shoal fish and what you find in shoals is that it only takes a few fish to "switch on" and the full shoal will feed at the same time, just like mackerel.

13. langy

langy Rockling

My opinion not no one elses.. I hope it's very effective for everyone who does it.

14. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

What about the queen, glenn? Not sure if this is right but if people want to take sand from the sea bed dont they have to get the ok from buck house or some where like that.

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Not claiming to be an expert on such matters as longlining but I reckon the bloke will pick up more undersize fish than keepers. From what I have seem of the liners down south their methods are more selective than this.

16. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

I wouldnt mind sat in one of them pokey shops in the town all day , some nice bits of scenery go by them .... :cheesy:

18. langy

langy Rockling

19. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

20. kipper

kipper New Member

the bloke wants the long line and hook shoved up his ....