1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lockwood Beck

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by Spud177, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Spud177

Spud177 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi

Started fly fishing in Sept 2010, but only went twice due to starting a new job and basically work took over, so as you can probably guess, i had to knock all the fishing on the head :sad:. But finally i am back and hoping to get out as often as possible.

Now onto the question :happy: I'm going to Lockwood next weekend and basically just wanted to get your opinions on flies. As a beginner what flies would you recommend me to use. I know it can change from day-day, but lets just say, what 5 flies would you always have with you?

Cheers Spud

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Alright Spud- there are a few lads on here fish Lockwood so you should get some decent answers.
    Speaking for myself, at this time of year I wouldn't be without;

An olive coloured lure (Maid Marion, Dawsons Olive, Nomad)
    A black lure, more than likely with a goldhead.
    Goldhead hares ear (about size 12)

Anglers do really well on buzzers and cats whiskers there- but they are patterns I can't seem to do much on despite knowing how lethal they can be.

3. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I would have in my box an olive lure such as dawsons olive or damsel,something black such as a black fritz or viva,something orange and always a cats whisker,a selection of buzzers,hares ears, shuttlecocks, klinkhammer,hoppers. The fish can move around in small shoals so its acase of finding them and what depth they are at by lenghthening your leader or changing to an intermediate, Lockwood can be a difficult place as some of the best anglers will tell you ill be there tomorrow and wed , good luck

4. Spud177

Cheers for the info lads. Got pretty much all the flies you have mentioned, except the hoppers. I know its going to be hard, but tbh just want to be out casting a fly again, although i would love to catch a few, at the minute its all just about getting back into the swing of things and getting some practice in.

5. GARP

GARP Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

One lure that has rarely failed for me early season is the Delmonte
    It's an orange job with marabou tail. Good for getting stockies

6. Spud177

What length of leader would you recommend starting off with. I will be using a 9ft tapered leader with a 2/3ft tippet of 6lb mono, do you think this is suitable to start with?

Garp, have any pictures or a link to one. Had a look on google but cant find anything. Is it like a blob with a marabou tail?

7. bucko

bucko New Member

I just use 9-10ft 6lb straight through.
    Sometimes a little longer if its calm and bright but never shorter.

8. Spud177

Ok cheers Bucko, got a couple of 7ft leaders in my box, might use them and add a couple of feet of tippet on. I like using the tapered leaders, especially being a beginner as they help turn the fly over much better IMO

9. GARP

Used to get my Delmonte lures from Keiths in Saltburn, but pattern as follows

Hook Kamasan lure longish shank B300
    Silk black
    Thorax red chenille with palmered short ginger hen hackle
    Body hot orange floss with broad flat silver tinsel rib
    Tail hot orange marabou tied long but not too thick

As I said good for stockies, fished slow but jerky

Wouldnt leave home without Dawsons Olive, white Cats whisker, Montanna Nymph
    Gold head hares ear and Black and peacock spider. Later in the season when Beatles blow in Off the Moor Cock y bonding and Royal coachman patterns can be
    Deadly

10. Spud177

Cheers for that GARP, unfortunately not quite at the level to tie my own flies, but will definately be aiming for that, might see if i can get someone too tie me a few.

11. bucko

bucko New Member

They run fly tying classes at Nunthorpe School when they start the Winter night classes.
    Really, its nothing you couldn't teach yourself but they do help to 'iron out' a few common problems early on (Bulky heads, hackling issues etc)

12. GARP

That's very good advice, I'm self taught, books, fishing mags, Internet

Lessons or joining a club will save you months of effort.
    Great way to expand your angling contacts too

13. Spud177

Any more info Bucko, name, number etc. Would be very interested in going along and having a go. Nothing compares too catch fish on something you have made yourself

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Just looking at Nunthorpe school website and sadly it looks like you have missed the Spring term so it looks like you will have to wait until Autumn as they don't do them during Summer term.
    http://www.nunthorpe.co.uk/

15. Spud177

Thanks for that mate, i will definately look into it and will probably start practice tying a few flies leading upto then

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Catch Return Sunday 4th to Saturday 10th March 2012

122 Anglers have caught 531 Rainbows to 5lb 8oz.
    Rod Average 4.4
    142 Rainbows were kept at an average weight of 2lb 5oz
    Sunday 4th
    23 Anglers have caught 31 Rainbows to 3lb 4oz
    Rod Average 1.3
    19 Rainbows were kept at an average weight of 2lb 2oz
    The day started off well at 4c with light winds and anglers catching fish then everything changed and the snow started the temp dropped to 2c we had a good 1 ½ in of snow on the ground by 11am.
    Bank
    E and R McAskell kept 4 each before the snow storm and most of the other anglers had gone by 11.30
    Boats
    Steve Mills stuck it out in the snow and caught 5 on lures.
    Monday 5th
    11 Anglers caught 28 Rainbows to 2lb. 8oz .
    Rod average 2.5
    15 Fish were kept at an average weight of 2lb. 8oz
    Very cold today with a strong S/W wind made fishing difficult.
    Tuesday 6th
    22 Anglers caught 52 Rainbows to 2lb 8oz
    Rod average 2.4
    12 Rainbows were kept at an average weight of 2lb 4oz.
    Very cold today with a strong S/W wind
    Bank
    Derik Grabham caught 8 on lures, Clive Simpson had 7 from the overflow end of the dam, Paul Runel fished on a four fish permit and caught 8 from the dam.
    Wednesday 7th
    7 Anglers caught 24 Rainbows to 2lb 4oz
    Rod average 3.4
    8 Fish were kept at an average weight of 2lb 2oz
    Bank
    Garry Coverdale caught 15 fishing 3 buzzers on the dam wall.
    Thursday 8th
    7Anglers caught 24 Rainbows to 2lb 8oz
    Rod average 4.8
    8 Fish were kept at an average weight of 2lb. 2oz.
    The overflow end of the dam fished well
    Bank
    Colin Brown caught 16 on buzzers fished under an indicator from the high bank and overflow. Bernard Fitzhugh had 11 from the dam on buzzers and Jim Tate caught 13 from the boat jetty on buzzers fished under an indicator.
    Friday 9th
    25 Anglers caught 187 Rainbow to 4lb 8oz
    Rod average 7.5
    37 Fish were kept at an average weight of 2lb. 3oz
    Stocked to day with 200 rainbows from 1lb 12oz to 5lb
    Bank
    Andrew and Paul Bowker caught 38 between them from the overflow end of the dam on lures. Garry Coverdale caught 16 on buzzers fished under an indicator from the point and boat jetty.
    Boats
    John McGarrell caught 20 on buzzers fishing quite close to the trees down the Woodside. Steve Trafford caught 13 on a white lure fishing out from the high bank. Malcolm Jefferson caught 14 fishing out from the top of the Woodside.

Saturday 10th
    24 Anglers caught 161 Rainbows to 5lb Rod average 6.7
    44 Fish were kept at an average weight of 2lb 6oz.
    Bank
    Andrew Greet caught 16 from the Whitby end of the dam and the bottom end of the moorside. Colin Lynas caught 9 from the overflow end of the dam on Dawson’s Nomad. P Jacobs, D Appleton, J Urquhart, D Sanders and Mark Walker all caught 8
    Boats
    Farther and son B and A Chapman caught 30 to 5lb keeping 11 for 31lb. Husband and wife Peter and Ann McLean caught 20 between them Peter had 11 all there fish were caught on a small olive tadpole.
    Lockwood opens at 8am and closes at 6.pm

17. Spud177

Alright Lads,

Just thought i would let you know how i got on. Caught 1 trout around 3lb on a black buzzer and lost one on a olive klinkhammer. Was hard today, there was no cloud, bright sun and hardly a ripple on the dam side. They were the only 2 bites i had, despite trying nearly every fly in the box. But still enjoyed the day and will be up again next week/end. Thanks for all the advice on flies, leaders etc. :embarrass:

18. bucko

bucko New Member

Well done Spud- I've never found it easy when the wind is blowing off the dam.
    Looked nice though when I drove past this afternoon.

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Thanks for the update Ian, as i fancy giving it a go this week. Well done Spud.

20. Spud177

Cheers lads. Was a lovely day Bucko, just abit more cloud cover and it might have resulted in more fish. As from 9-11 there was a few fish getting caught all over, but as soon as the sun got high and the ripple died, so did the fishing. But there we go, thats what makes it so fun and why we keep going