1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lockwood Beck Flies?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by ryanfish, Jul 13, 2008.

1. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

hi guys,

going to lockwood beck next saturday and was wondering which flies are best to use,
    just started fly fishing a few months ago and now want a decent trout on the fly.

thanks Ryan

2. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Hi there ryan,Good flies for lockwood would be :-
    DRY - black emergers with cdc,black or dark brown hoppers,adams,or small shipmans.
    LURES - cats whiskers,zonkers,damsels.
    I would also go with black buzzers,bloodworm and diawl backs fished with the floating line / inter' line.Just keep changing the time you let them sink down and a very slowly retreival untill you start getting fish.
    You can ask at the lodge at lockwood what flies have been catching,and i think they sell flies there,just purchase a few there.
    Good luck m8.

3. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

They sell a wide range of flies up lockwood.

2salmo has already pointed out the best flies for lockwood and its just a matter of changing flies until you find the fly/ depth that the fish are feeding at.

I was up a few weeks ago and i did well on a black nomad although all the nomads work very well. I will be up again tommorow so ill report back on that.

The flies that i have done best on are

1.Klinkhamers in grey and brown ( size 12 - 16)Left static or slowly figured of 8 back
    2.Nomads, Black and dawsons (size 10) Fish them quite fast
    3.cats whisker and dawsons olive, fished fast or fished 3 feet under an indicator and left static
    4. Small cdc shipmans in olive, red or black. Slowly figure of 8 back
    5.Hoppers in size 10 - 16, black or red. Leave static or cast at rising trout
    6. Montana's, ptns and daiwl bachs. Fished slowly
    7. buzzers, various colours. Fish slowly or use an indicator and just let them drift in the breeze, keeping intouch with the line.

All the people up there are happy to help and will suggest more flies for you to use

Good luck ryan and i hope this helps you

cheers

Dan

4. mww

mww Rockling

Not fished Lockwood for a couple of years, but would agree with the above - only thing I'd add would be something in case there are some sedge's coming off - deer hair sedges/ stimulators worked for me stripped across the surface in the late evenings, but I think it was maybe a bit later in the year than this....

Cheers

Mart

5. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Sedges work well up there mart, but like you said its still a bit early for them. Nothing better than a warm October night when some sedges are coming off and fish are chasing them :happy:

good stuff

6. bucko

bucko Guest

Daddy Long Legs could be worth having as well- especially with all the damp weather we've had.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ant flies work well at Lockwood

8. mww

mww Rockling

Aye GGG, think it was August the year I fished it a few times, I could call in on my way home from Teesside to Scarborough - was the really hot summer (remember those!! :happy:) probably 2006? - was really only worth fishing the last hour before dark unless you were in a boat. Great sport for "the" hour, though, like turning a switch on!! Loads of chases & follows, probably half a dozen of those for every actual hook-up....

Mart

9. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

How did you get on ryan,Do any good m8.

10. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

i actully went to scailing dam because ma m8s didnt want to go to lockwood so no i didnt catch anything but we caught ten rainbows on two permits and my m8 lost a 3 - 4 pound Brownie.

thanks Ryan

11. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

Cheers for the report ry. Were off up scaling tommorow.

12. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

had 8 up scaling today, my first limit up there. mate had 5 and lost a biggie. I lost a couple of small ones

13. ryanfish

ryanfish Ry Vasey

were you fishing at the whitby end or near the shop .
    im going again on saturday for the day.

thanks Ry

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

Well done Dan, your'e having a decent year so far-keep it up.

15. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

we went up near the shop, just before the first bin. Most of the fish were on powerbait lifted around 2 feet off the bottom with a polyball.

cheers dave, Just hope it runs into the winter sea fishing :yes: