1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loch Slapin, isle of skye

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Feb 7, 2015.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm travelling up to Skye in a weeks time and hoping to pop out with the rod one or two nights. I'm staying in southern skye, lower breakish, and been reading some info on the forum already (some great help).

I'm looking to fish Loch Slapin and read one of the marks is from a point almost directly south of Elgol. Does anyone have anymore info on this please? Possibly just a pin on a map to point me in the right direction.

I was thinking of Armadale and Broadford piers also, but fancy Loch Slapin. No idea what's kicking about up there this time of year :D

Many thanks in advance

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Who knows whats out there. Anything is possible. Certainly thornbacks at armadale. Cant really say much more than that as its not a place we fished a right lot. Aird de sleet is a mark not far away from Armadale and we saw some nice pollack fishing there. Im told the pollack are there all winter so just give it a try. I found Abu Toby's worked well in late Autumn. Nver been at this time of year, but its likely you will find pollack there.

Forum Topics About Skye Here.

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Loch Slapin is 'barn door' skate territory, but I don't know if they are around at this time of year?
    Or if there is much else there at this time.
    If near Elgol, I would chuck a big bait of the rock headland into the deep water there, which is about 750 yards to the left of the harbour, over the headland.
    Great spot in summer.

Best thing you could possibly is to drop Iain Kirkwood a line, using the 'contact' link of his website -
    http://www.skyeshorefishing.co.uk/locations.html
    And ask him what, where, how when, etc. for up there now. For instance, there might be some good cod fishing.
    He and his father are fishing mad and know the whole island well.

If he doesn't reply within a few days, PM me and I will give you his email address.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Ben

4. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for the help and pointers. We are staying not far from Elgol so might give the rock headland a bash and possibly Armadale pier.

Ben I had already contacted Iain through his website but had no reply; will send you a PM if ok.

Thanks again

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A lot of the big Skate in the outer Hebrides come in Winter. Cant see why Skye would be different.

6. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

In that case, definitely give the skate a go in Loch Slapin.
    Another REALLY good person to chat to is the husband of owner of Mary's Thatched Cottages, in Elgol. Contact them off their website, call or drop by and ask him for some advice.
    He used to own a trawler and dredged Loch Slapin and told me about these massive skate. Apparently they would close his gear when they got caught in his nets, and the whole crew of 5/6 men would seriously struggle to get them overboard and back out again.
    He would probably know even better than Iain about fishing them. And best spot that side to cast to them from.
    Forget his name, but seemed a good guy.