1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locals buying the Mull Of Galloway

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Groyne, May 16, 2013.

1. Groyne

Groyne Guest

2. krysb

krysb Blenny

Re: Locals buying the Mull.

wouldnt have thought so, BUT i should think that its gunna cost to do it, ie day / week passes etc
    return on investment is going to be required, and charging people to use the area is going to be the only way to recoup it.
    BUT, with charging for things comes another owness on the landowners to provide facilities ie bins and the like

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The actual Mull Of Galloway is a tiny piece of land on the end of the peninsula. Most of the best marks are miles away from there, so there is no great concern.

It would also be a ridiculous move for any community / tourism based group to ban an activity that brings one of the areas main sources of income.

What I would say is I imagine they will get extremely pissed off if people continue to leave empty cans of larger and carrier bags etc all over the headland.

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i hope they dont try and charge to recoup costs ,what costs ,it will be a bloody cheek if they do when its taxpayers money and lottery funds that will be paying for it except for a tiny percentage which they are going to put in ,
    when i bought my house i paid for it with hard graft not a grant from others ,lords of the manner spring to mind.
    it will be like a mad house with a load of little hitlers saying ,get orf my land.
    hope the sale doesnt go through.

frank.

5. alan smith

alan smith Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have fished all over the area in question and know the local buisness owners like the pubs and shops rely on tourists for a living, i cannot see them stopping the fishermen on the mull because they make up a large part of them.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Yeah thats my feeling Alan. It would be like Whitby banning people who eat fish and chips. Scotland thrives off Tourism, it needs people to fish there.

7. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

have sent e mail to Mull of Galloway Trust to see if they can give me any info, away till Tuesday, will let you know if I hear anything

8. snatcher

snatcher Toon Toon black and white army

The local pubs/hotels/B and Bs all know that anglers bring them a lot of their annual turnover. I am sure there will be a happy outcome for us :wink:

The litter left by a small minority of anglers could well be highlighted though - as it should be. There is no excuse for leaving ANYTHING at your fishing mark.

I do spend a large part of the summer over in caravan on the Clashwhannon site,Drummore so will keep my ear to the ground and report back on any developments :yes:

John

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I've been following this for a while. The people who own it now don't charge, why would the new owners? It's just changing hands, not as if this piece of countryside is suddenly being privatised.

10. frank avey

agree about the rubbish some anglers leave ,its the same in most places you go in this country and not just the coast ,some local ponds in leeds are like a council tip because some people treat the countryside like a dumping ground ,just a good job we dont all live like pigs.
    as for your comment kev,

I've been following this for a while. The people who own it now don't charge, why would the new owners? It's just changing hands, not as if this piece of countryside is suddenly being privatised.

if a local group purchase the land well thats privatisation in my book, ive taken on board about what lads have said regarding anglers and the local economy and that makes good sense just hope the people who are in on the purchase and will be the new owners know this and respect this and dont try to use this as a money making exercise ,
    my point is its public money buying this ,ie taxpayers and lottery cash and if any charging comes in i still think they have got a cheek.
    one thing about us brits is we know how to squeeze an orange till the pips squeak.,

frank.

11. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

The Mull is actually already privately owned by the Northern Lighthouse Board mate, they're just selling it on , minus the lighthouse which they're hanging on to. I know what you're saying Frank, there's no telling what the plans for it are. Even so, I'm not really worried. Glenn got it right saying a lot of the best fishing is elsewhere anyway. Very handy for picking Macky up there though.

12. frank avey

kev
    i know the area well and agree that theres stacks of places up there which are fantastic fishing venues not just the end of the mull,
    port logan ,loch ryan the list is endless it all depends on what you want to catch ,dont know if anyone uses it but the loch ryan sea fishing club has a good forum site with masses of venues ,info on bait ,what to catch and where with pictures of a lot of venues.

www.lochryanseaangling.webs.com/

if you dont know the area and fancy going up give the site a look before you go ,plenty of good info.

frank.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I would be very surprised if fishing was curtailed on the MOG that's the coast stretching from East to West Tarbet , a lot of businesses
    look towards anglers and the money they bring into the area , as the MOG as a fishing area it has some superb marks , a lot of anglers
    don't use or know of them , its the rock edges in and around east and west tarbet that get most fished alas generally they don't offer the
    best fishing , there are of course some top quality marks especially for quality Pollack , port logan and loch ryan aren't two of them , although Logan Head can throw some very big Pollack out , if you look for areas that jut out, catch the tide and always have a decent depth of water at your feet regardless of the stage of the tide and the ground is heavy you will be onto the better fish

14. bow1

bow1 Rockling

even if it was purchased wouldnt we have right of access through scotlands right to roam,as long as we looked after the land ie no damage left rubbish etc.
    its also too big a money spinner to lose.i know ill spend a :crazy:verage of 150 quid a day when u factir everything in!!!!