1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local under 10m Boats Can Lease Whiting Quota

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Full Story

2. Howard

Howard Blenny

There have been some daft ideas come out from this lot before but this one takes the biscuit. How are these 10m vessels going to catch a tonne of whitings without catching other species? I am presuming they are to tow for them as Ive never known them caught in any numbers by any other method??
    The discards on this one will be mega although I cannot see anyone buying the quota up. Its all a bit puzzling ???

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What puzzles me Howard Is why have a quota system at all if you can just buy up more quota once you have run out ? However I do feel for the under 10m boats as there potential effects on stocks are small to non existent and they are being hit possibly the hardest.

4. Howard

Howard Blenny

Yeah Bob the >10M lads must be really disalusioned and to have crazy ideas like this thrown at them like sweets to kids Id be boiling inside. No wonder many our way just stick to potting. When we fished 4"trammels we never saw a whiting but we sure did some damage with them to everything else alive.