1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Live baiting from shore

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by lipslicker, Oct 4, 2014.

1. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi guys,
    I often hear that cod anglers use live baiting, with one small hook baited next to a bigger, but no one I have chatted to has tried it up our way. I certainly haven't.
    Even on our beaches.
    Any reason why not, or do some of you try it?

2. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

I've had a go. Took a bit of experimentation before I finally saw some results.

It is easy enough to set up. You are looking at hooking the bait out in the water rather than trying to chuck it out from the shore.

What I settled on was a 'hair rig' where the 'hair' has a smaller hook baited with worm or whatever. The business end is a large strong hook. I settled on Tronix Big Dog as the main hook and a Kamasan B940 as the 'hair' hook.

Wait until you get some interest and then 'strike'. You should then have a livebait on the smaller hook which you can then leave out there.

A word of warning ... You need to engage some kind of 'free spool' option because if you get a hit without it then you will probably wave goodbye to the rod. The 'takes' are not subtle.

3. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Found one ...

[​IMG]

While I might 'wake the Dragon' saying this ... Here goes... I have only ever caught decent Cod on this rig with this method. I won't be beating 'Lobbers' any time soon but I do set up the rig and feel that I'm going to get something. Which is more confidence than I have with a flask of Crab.

I think it is just that the quicker I get some interest from the live bait, the more confidence I have that there will be some decent Cod around. Conversely, no live bait response tells me that I'm fishing the wrong area. Truth to be told, there are few 'peelers' around at this time of year. Lots of Rockling though. I'm sure the Cod know this too.

4. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Really interesting this, thanks for posting:)

5. MikeR

MikeR Blenny

I've read about it being used in the Humber with some sucess. Target a small whiting and then along comes a cod.

6. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

They are certainly predatory. I (choose to) believe that they come in shore looking for anything that will fit in that cavernous mouth. As I said earlier there are few 'peelers' around at this time of year so I don't think that they are the main target . Not to suggest that they won't eat one if they come across one.

One bit I left out on the 'rig' above is that it is a 'running ledger' rig. You need to let the fish run with the bait for a while so most Sea rigs are no good for this.

So if you are getting bored one night throwing Crab into the Sea and getting bait elastic back then try a bit of livebaiting. Well worth the gamble.

7. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Ive done plenty of live baiting and sliding dead baits, but since I didn't fish much didn't really catch much I also made my own bait sliders which work very well.

8. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A great bigfish method,best done when the pin ytin shoals move inshore n the cod r targeting them.
    A tactic for a second rod as it can be very hit n miss.imo the hair rig style shown is the best set up for them.Good luck n hold on tight lol..

9. lipslicker

Thanks, lads.
    Sounds like a second rod tactic.
    But interesting to hear some are doing, with success.
    Might experiment at some stage.

ShArk,
    Hi there,
    Yes, I too made some sliders, but have to admit i don't really use that much. I found, if they got snagged, they were a devil to pull out, not being on line end, but some way short. And, bite detection was hard to fathom.
    A good way to get big bait out to big fish, but the height you need to use them then means you struggle to pull them in.
    Would have been a good method to get a big mackerel out to that shark from Bempton, but retrieve is a different problem!
    :)

10. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I never seamed to have any trouble with them getting fast up, bite detection is a strange one but I always used circle hooks which helped.

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I believe its a second rod venture , If you do a bit of cliff fishing you could operate a system of Sliding a fish baited hook , down a pre cast line so that the bait would end up next to your sinker , you could of course use
    a large frozen dead bait , or half a mackerel / bluey / herring over a season Im sure you would be in with a good
    chance of a hefty fish

12. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I think the problem is that u need to have the confidence that the small fish are about. Catch twenty two, as if they r then the bigger cod probably won't be

13. lipslicker

On our stretch, I am wondering how one tells the difference between a rockling on your hook and crabs just nicking your bait?
    Think I will leave it as a tactic to the guys on the beaches, which is rarely where I find myself.

14. cps

cps Rockling

I had a 10lber in the ship open a while back on a 1lb rockling, bigcod was stood next to me and kept telling me I had a bite I kept saying s@@t fish then the 10lber took hold and the rod was double, came in with the rockling up the snood still wick

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

I've done the same down hawsker in a club match Chris,mine was only an 8lb er though.