1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ling from the shore.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Having enjoyed the recent Pollock action, and last winter having my fluke conger, my mind has been wondering about other species that are lurking in our regions waters.

In both the kayak matches last year I had Ling to fish baited pirks. One of them was just off 'Coffee Pot' scaur in te Scabby match and then four others from the back of the Brigg in the Filey match.

All those fish were taken only a couple of hundred yds from the shore. I saw the photo that Mick Wrights mate had of the Ling taken from under Braille last winter as well so there must be a reasonable chance of bagging a ding a ling.

So what would be the method/bait ?
    I m going to give it a go.......in the kayak match the Ling didn't touch crab but squid and fish cocktails on a jigger did the job, so I m thinking maybe an 'up n over' rig so that the bait is on a flowing trace but is still easy to hit a big distance with .

Any thoughts on this ? :cool:

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive caught 1 off the shore at long hole ad seen others taken from there. Min fell to crab, but I assume amoreproductive method could be a whole squid or a fish bait. Only problem would bekeeping the crabs off it.

3. Hairybeast

Hairybeast Blenny

have taken ling to 10lb from the shore at Port Patrcik while fishing for conger. No reason why they should not be present around the Whitby area, with so many being caught from boats close in. Simply one hook rig baited with a chunk of mackerel, and of course a rotten bottom.

4. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

I once saw one caught off the end of Scarborough pier a couple of years ago. The bloke was casting right round to the left, basically SE if you look on the map. Can't remember what bait or rig he was using. Pointless posting really now I think about it :laugh:

5. ibuprofenman

ibuprofenman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I can beat you on pointless posts as I was driving along Marine Drive last year and saw 2 lads walking along with what looked like a fairly decent ling. About 200 yards further along, I saw another ling around the size but this time in adult company. I think it was a Thursday.

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i remember in the first scarborough kayak match a lot of small ling were caught off coffee pot so Im sure its possible Dave

7. backlash

backlash Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

my mate had one about 4lb from cloughton last october, he caught it on cart

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I have seen small ling caught at redcar scars, and at portpatrick, :yes: bait was sand eel, at p p crab at redcar :yes:

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Iv'e had a handfull, the biggest about 5.5lb from Cloughton Wyke. The bait that works on the boats is Mackeral. I'm pretty sure if it was used more often from the shore there would be a few ling taken. Trying to target a particular fish though can be time consuming as well as demoralising :ugly:

10. macky

macky New Member

Saw one caught on filey brigg bout 3 years ago jelly, it was caught on fresh mackrel and looked about 4lb

11. sarge

sarge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

caught one from the gare a couple of years ago.was fishing for whiting using mackerel for bait.

12. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Dave,

I've had a few from Kirkudbright (at the Manxman and from in front of the ranges at Mullock), closer to home I've had one from Dunstanburgh castle.
    I agree with what people have said regarding fish baits being the best method, the ling from Kirkudbright took chunks of launce or mackerel.

The last ling that I saw caught from the shore came from Roker pier a couple of winters ago and the lad that caught it was fishing for whiting and I think that the ling took a whiting that he had hooked.
    Here's a couple of photos that I took of it, I think it was about 4 or 5 lb in weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck, Regards Ian.

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

i had one last wed night on top of whitby rock on my spinning rod in 20ft of water with a 3 inch pirk the size of a mackerel spinner it weighed 10lb it was a lot fitter and thicker set than ones of wrecks so maybe there are more of them close in than we think

14. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice catch lawsy, bet it gave a good account of itself on that gear