1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Sounds like quality bait to me like. Id kill for a regular supply of blacks.

2. robq

robq Rockling

As you say Ducky there is always room for improvement :yes:

I just think that for some anglers there is a compromise to be found between family and fishing commitents :yes:

I am happy with mine at the moment and I still really enjoy my fishing !! but I also enjoy other things in my life too which impacts on things.

I think that there are a good few qualities that a good shore cod angler needs to have :yes: ( as Glenn has touched on in his winter cod angler article ) I know my bait is probably only around 60 to 70 % of what it could be, but the rest are pretty much there I think !! so hopefully I will still catch a few fish and carry on enjoying my fishing :yes:

I cant afford another divorce due to spending too much time and money on my fishing :whatever:

3. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

see bill glenn he gets them in :yes:

4. DB2009

DB2009 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can be a good bait for wrasse
    Have caught wrasse,bass,flounder & codling on them from Sandsend and other marks locally.
    Perhaps mack/limp cocktails are worth a try.

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It's not all about crab, crab and more crab. The point is good bait catches more fish, more often, than poor bait! Wether it's crab, mussel, worm squid or anything else. Most baits now can be got if you want it. I just find it amazing that someone can go to the trouble of kitting themselves out with all the gear thats needed, travel considerable distances at times and then put a load of tat on the end of the hook!
    Again it's not a match angler thing, it's about catching fish.

How many fish is that mate and for how many hours fishing? if you have ever had the humbling experience of having someone stood next to you reeling in fish after fish while your rod tip lays motionless in what seems in your world to be a be a barron ocean why not go over and enlighten them!

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well this summer i drove to wales once, and cumbria 3 times to stock up on peeler. I also pumped runnydown whenever there was a big tide and will be stocking up again on fresh mussells and lug this weekend. i hope you do get out what you put in because if its true im in for a bumper winter!

7. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

I agree Ray sometimes beginners literally get hold of the wrong end of the stick as it were, they should start thinking in reverse, by that I mean start with whats in the water (bait, hook,) and work backwards - line - reel, and finally rod, whilst I realise if you cant get the bait out there with totally crap gear,sometimes with good quality bait it doesn't have to travel so far.
    Rob also makes a good point tho' you have to enjoy what your doing and if chucking rubbish bait out whilst wearing Moon boots and a Flotation suit whilst sat in your car in Sandsend car park is your thing go for it. :wink: :wink:

Les

8. newdave

newdave Guest

got to say that one of the reasons i will never be much of a shore/cod angler is bait, I am sure good bait really is important & as i have better things to do with my Summer than hunting crabs, I don't take it very seriously. When the fishing is very good i will catch some Cod with a mixture of cart,mussel & worm. The people who put the time in to gather & keep top bait deserve the success it brings but to a lot of us its just not that important hence posts like this looking for an easy solution.

now for the reminiscence of an old git,
    whilst a schoolboy I used to spend my pocket money on a pot of mussels from pritchards & walk down to Redcliff hole. there was always a gent there by the name of Johny Basham who was well known for being careful with his money. on one occasion i used up all my bait & was hoping he might give me a bit to keep fishing, but he was not about to offload any of his prime lugworm to a snotty kid & suggested I collect some scaury (large anemones) I suspiciously put these on my hook & to our suprise caught two codling, whilst his worms produced nothing. I wonder if they still work ?

9. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

They still work Dave we call them Paps and are best used when they are just going off.

Cheers
    les

10. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Although I am a very keen angler and have tried just about every type of fishing imaginable over the last half century, I have always gone fishing for the joy of it all. It isn't always the catching of fish that gives me the greatest pleasure either. They say that the best things in life are free and I've found that to be very true when it comes to fishing.
    Whether I'm sat fishing on a peaceful riverbank for roach or perch using a waggler, spinning or plugging from the kayak for pike, ledgering for bream, or even better, sea fishing from the shore, pier or kayak for Mackerel, Bass, Pollack, Flounders, Whiting, Billet etc, for me it has always been more about being where I most want to be. It doesn't get any better than being able to feel at one with the natural environment, where all of my senses are stimulated by the beauty and diversity that mother nature provides.
    Now, I do have to say that it may well be all about catching fish for a lot of the members and moderators on this forum, which is fine for them. Personally, fishing in the dark in freezing conditions from a beach in the middle of winter for cod sounds less appealing to me as does scaling cliffs in order to access remote beaches where there may or may not be an increased chance of catching more or bigger fish.
    At the risk of insulting any of the obsessive cod anglers on this forum which is not my intention, if I was that desperate for a cod, I'd rather just have a leisurely stroll down to my local chippie.
    I'm so glad that this forum exists and I'm very grateful for all of the knowledge and entertainment that it has provided me with, but I'm my own man and I like to learn from my own experiences. I'm not obsessed with any particular method of fishing or any specific species of fish, but I do fish all year round so I have picked up a reasonable amount of knowledge over the years even if I've forgotten some of it.
    It's just an observation, but does anyone else get the impression that some people don't seem able to gain the maximum enjoyment from angling these days. If anyone tells me that I'm doing it wrong and I'll never catch fish like that, I will always listen and may even act upon their advice, but at the end of the day it is always more satisfying to know that you have achieved your goal by working it out for yourself. If your own instinct can get you the result your after, that is infinately more satisfying than being told how to achieve it, and generally my instinct has served me well.
    Righto, now I've got all that off me chest, sod fresh bait, I'm off down the river in my kayak for an enjoyable stint with the old pike lures.

11. lincshorefisher

lincshorefisher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi

10/10 excellent observation, perfectly expressed !!!

Andy

12. robq

robq Rockling

I suppose for some the experience of getting out in the fresh air is what it is all about !! Nothing wrong with that I suppose !!

However most of the regular posters on here are focused anglers and I suppose get frustrated by the basic /silly questions. I enjoy talking about the finer points of angling sometimes and wish we had a little more of it at times :yes:

Maybe as Jellyworm suggests a few basic "stickies" may help those learners out ??

13. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Well put and well said mate. Whereas I just go out to get fish, whatever the conditions and collect my own bait whenever possible, my old man would rather just get a couple of wraps of blacks and go have a few hours on the beach. He always says that catching fish is a bonus to him and he simply enjoys the scenery, solitude and relaxation of a session.

Everyone enjoys their own thing and that's what makes us human I suppose. I hate to see people looking down on other anglers because of what they wear, or because they have cheap gear, or because they're not doing things 'right' I mean as long as they pay respect to other anglers, and take their rubbish home with them etc let them be. It does crop up from time to time on this site and can come across as very elitist on some occasions. Most people are very receptive to a bit of advice and really appreciate it.

I do however completely agree with the points about people searching for advice and then not acting upon it and subsequently complaining of fishless sessions, a bit annoying to say the least. Wow this quick reply turned into a rant :laugh:

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Exactly my point Rob , as despite this frustrating thread running for some time now , what aoppears on the main board ? " Are muscle a good bait ".....I can now see why Glenn and Ray to give just two, are getting ever rapidly hacked off. There must be hundreds of posts on the forum that have mentioned mussel as a good staple cod bait.

15. Supersonic

Isn't he just asking a question though? At least his question is quite specific once you actually read beyond the title.

I understand how people sometimes become annoyed, but do we really want a site where beginners can't ask simple questions and get quick and easy answers from people good enough to help them out? Isn't that part of the idea in the first place?

Yes people use mussel for Cod, yes it is effective, but it's not a crime to ask for a concise snippet of detail, is it?

:sick:

16. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Kev the point you are missing though was that the same questions get asked time and time again....never mind though, as Glenn said it is him that has to read all the posts not me so he will decide what to do to sort things out. I used that a means of evidencing why a F.A.Q. section would be a good idea for a quick point of reference for members. So that they did get a quick concise answer from the forum and the regular posters don t have to keep repeating themselves....as has certainly been said this week.

17. Supersonic

I do have to agree about the FAQ section Dave, as well as myself, I'm sure that there would be plenty of members willing to help research and write the articles for it. It would be an excellent resource for many people to use.

Wasn't spoiling for a fight Dave, I just think that it's important for people not to be intimidated by asking 'simple' questions.

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I never mind answering bait questions usually. I must apologise for going over the top a little. However if you asked me in the pub if limpets were a good bait Id still tell you they were crap, if you asked me twice Id tell ya to pi$$ off. Just joking honestly. Sometimes the written word comes across a lot worse than it is actually meant and I do apologise if I offended the topic poster, I would still have asked you if you were joking had we met on the rocks. I think if limpets were any good they wouldnt be on every rock you pass on the shore, they would all be residing in my bait tank.

19. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Rory don't waste your time with limpets just buy yourself some cart mussels and blacks and razor fish and ragworm and you can try any of the baits mentioned in a cocktail or all in 1 cocktail You dot have to buy all the baits mentioned it's upto you the lads on here are very keen anglers and match anglers sometimes they may seem to come across a bit savage they are trying to give you the best possible chance of catching fish
    Cheers ian

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Whatever floats your boat Andy, I'm the opposite and find doing the extreme things in fishing exciting and if I had to spend my time on a pier I would probably go to the chippy myself. I don't however think anyone on here is bombed out with catching as many fish as they can. Speaking for myself I've had many enjoyable blanks and enjoy the whole experience of fishing.

For some reason there seems to be a them and us mentality creeping into this post, by that I mean match /pleasure anglers. For me there is no difference, they are the same thing. The bottom line is the lad was asking advice and he got it. Wether he takes it on board is up to him.

Are we wrong in assuming that anglers come onto the fishing site, ask for advice because they want to catch more fish?