1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I'll do the same but 10 to 1, so if I win the limpett man pays me a tenner, if I lose I'll pay 100 quid, I was looking for a way to make money so come on limpett boys

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

wooooooo there mole boy. I saw this money making opportunity first. Anyways I need some cash to pay for my next delivery of fresh bait.

3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

limpets work where you find them used mog for pollack
    all fish eat local stuff
    as said quick with knife but would suggest tipping off with macky or squid

4. rizla

rizla Blenny

i have to agree with you there,ie the forum has been on a downward spiral. i always thought that a forum was a place for open discussion,but that's not the case here. in the last few months anyone with a view that doesn't match your own has been ridiculed or expelled. for example,you initiated a topic, Is Whitby The UK's Number 1 Charter Port,or something similar.it was a good topic,but anyone who dared to give an opinion which said anything other than yes was brow beaten,in fact "wildcard" had personal attack which in my opinion was disgraceful. it reminded me of the 'Hundred Flowers Campaign' in 1950s china where people were asked their opinions and then rooted out if they were at odds with the party line. a more recent example was in the topic, 'Am I Wrong' where forum member Spruce was attacked for 'preaching' catch and release, which he clearly didn't do and on a personal level i've had posts deleted presumably because they were at odds with your views.i could go on,but there's no point in doing so. i suspect my membership will be terminated after this post so if i can offer a few words of advice,don't listen to the sycophants. rizla

5. Baramundi Bob

We try our best here to give people the best advice. Unlike many other forums where its simply the blind leading the blind, anglers on this forum know there stuff, and Ill count myself into that regardless of what anyone else might say. The bait issue has been flogged to death and to be honest it does my head in when you spend hours advising people on how to improve their fishing and still they come back with the same old thing - LAZYNESS. I can not emphasize how much importance you need to place on your bait. If you fish with rubbish you will catch rubbish, and if you keep asking the same old questions hoping to get an answer that suits then so be it, but Ill still always tell you my thoughts, and I believe your wasting your own time and that of the good members of this forum by continually searching for the holey grail of cheap, easy, or free baits - They dont exist. if you want a dull forum where you can read endless reports of angling blanks and discuss crap baits Ill send you a few links to try.

As for banning you. Only people I ever banned was one who threatened to kill me and my family and one who caught me on the bad day in the middle of a divorce. So ill leave you with your limpet topic and go do something more worthwhile elsewhere.

6. Barnsley Chop

Barnsley Chop New Member

i would agree Glenn, the forum does not have the same quality of posts it had a few years ago what has happened to all the hardcore match anglers who used to post. There was at one time a succesion of valuable information posted most nights you never here a thing from Lobbers these days and his posts were inspirational. The forum is starting to look a bit like world sea fishing north east section. anyway, keep up the good work Glenn. I enjoyed your article on cod fishing today. never be afraid to say what you think and please keep the forum on track it is still the best around by a long long way. Your never afraid to uncover the secrets behind fishing, and I reckon you must take some stick for that on the quiet, please keep it up.

7. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

I LOVE LIMPETS ME! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't take things so seriously guys,i never heard of anyone catching on limpets and if you do try em good luck to you. Its all down to the individual at the end of the day, you should be allowed to speak you're mind on here that's what it's all about.express an opinion if someone doesn't agree then fair enough.think this topic should be put to bed now. :happy:

8. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

As for banning you. Only people I ever banned was one who threatened to kill me and my family and one who caught me on the bad day in the middle of a divorce. So ill leave you with your limpet topic and go do something more worthwhile elsewhere.
    « Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:54:29 PM by Baramundi Bob »

or if you take the pi@@ out of leeds unt. or do you just get your rep lowered? well that happened to me :laugh:
    as for the good match anglers as you put it they would have been turning rocks and hunting crab ovr the summer and pulling in bass.

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

II think it's all about interpretation mate, I suppose to some Glenn sometimes comes across as aggressive, but it's pure frustration nothing else that's all - and I can certainly empathize with him on this topic - the whole site is geared up to help and give advice, but some just don't get it with this bait lark - to the point where their constant ignorance becomes, after a while not humorous but insulting, a factor that IMO makes the established anglers here stop posting

10. woody

woody New Member

point is glenn , lobbers ,quint, ramrod ect ect are all very sucsessful at what they do ,and when they offer advice and some one challanges it as quint says its its frustraiting !!!! if limpits were that good n makeril why the hell arnt they using them ? doesnt take a rocket scientist does it :educated: :educated: :tired:

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I can see why these sort of questions can be frustrating to those that have put in so much info into the site regarding quality bait, etc. I quick look around this forum/website should save anyone having to aks these questions, the way I look at it is if you have the time to collect limpets why not use that time to collect peelers, worm, mussels, instead? You are still out for a few hours but come back with better bait.

I'm no where near as dedicated to quality bait collecting as the top rods on this forum, I don't go peelering as I perfer to fish during the warmer months rather than collect bait. I get to enjoy more summer fishing but my winter fishing does suffer from that, something I have to accept.

I kinda look at myself at a halfway point, I don't collect peelers but I do put in the time to collect worm, mussels and make my own cart. You do get out what you put in, top rods get more out as they put more effort in!

12. woody

woody New Member

i do a lot of match course fishing and a good saying is fail to prepare , prepare to fail ! its exactly the same you only get out what u put in !!!!

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Heres my slant on the latter parts of this thread.....first though like most I wouldn t waste my time collecting or fishing limpets when as already mentioned other easily sourced and successful baits are available from just about every tackleshop in the country.

But....looking at the last post of Rizla, there are some posts that have been put up from time to time, experimental baits being one of those topics. If the posts on such topics are not worthy of reply....then why post a reply. There are so many posts that get replies that are negative, this being one of them.
    Surely if no reply is forthcoming then the message will be put across just the same and the post drop down the board and be soon forgotten.
    We all relate to personal experiences and my personal experience when I commented on the lack of interest and value to a post was "if you don't like what is posted you don t have to read it and you don t have to reply."
    I was at first not that happy with such a blunt response, but on reflection it was spot on.....the members should be able to post a question whether they get an answer is up to the others who read the post.

I don't want this forum to become boring but a less experienced angler would or might become afraid of asking a simple question for fear of being ridiculed when infact their question is a genuine one.

I know sometimes some questions seem pointless but to the poster of those questions.....if they are a novice or not that experienced then shouldn t they get a reasonable answer ?

I don t enjoy reading dull posts as much as the next but isn t a forum board about freedom of being able to post and ask without fear of what might be said......that has been the ethos of this forum as long as the basic rules are observed.
    Don't agree that the quality anglers don't post though, Filey angler of the week , he posts, Scarborough festival angler of the week he posts, one of the top if not the codmeister himself he posts and all those top anglers offer help and advice, Glenn shares a vast amount of information to help anglers further their fishing.

I think that for a forum to be balanced it needs to be accepting of all manner of questions from experienced and novice, what might seem a stupid question to the experienced the novice might not yet know so.

14. Baramundi Bob

The forum is filling up with rubbish Dave, and unlike you, as forum admin, I have to read it, and as quint says its frustrating on my behalf especially on the same day as you spend 4 hours writing an article which highlights the great importance of quality bait in fishing. I understand your point about putting off the new anglers, I take that on board and really don't want to put them off as they stand to learn a great deal through this site, infact Dave your living proof that this site does work for people and improve their fishing. But looking at it from my perspective please don't waste my time with insulting posts about duff baits. There are some very lazy anglers out there, and if you are not willing to put effort into your fishing then you don't deserve to catch anything. I cant be any fairer than that, this forum needs putting back on the right track before it really does start to resemble some of the other crap out there. Please will someone go fishing and catch something worth telling us about.

15. Watersplatter

Watersplatter New Member

The reason limpets or flidders were used on long lines is that they COST nowt when the weather was hard they did work but were only used when times were hard and wages were poor, in this neck of the woods they were called poverty bait, if the liners could have afforded or got anything else they would have. The reason they use squid is exactly the same you cant get the people to skein a sack of mussels for 10bob any more, you dont need any skill to open a box of squid. :yes: :yes:

As an aside I think that some of the top matchmen have stopped posting is because they are sick of repeating themselves to the same questions from sometimes the same people.
    Cheers for now
    Les

16. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i am bloody trying to catch fish, but its not working :no:

i fish and post on my trips as much as i can, things are hard at the mo.

17. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

There is 3 ways to respond to posts, you can be positive, negative or you can ignore it. With the bait posts I always try to stress the importance of quality. I now feel like replying something along the lines of " yes go for it mate, you never know, you might get the fish of a lifetime!" To some that would read as being a positive reply, but in fact it's the very opposite! I agree with Jelly in most but there are a lot of newbies on this site and I always get sucked into the "bait debait" in the intrest of those who can be misled by comments when a lot of us know better.
    So which reply do you want? go for it mate, you never know, you might get a fish of a lifetime or don't use them they're a waste of time! the next time I will take the 3rd option as I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall!

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Maybe with some Ray....not me...do you remember my off the wall thoughts on peeler oils and pilchards oils etc.....took your advice andwasting many hours injecting baits and catching nowt they went down the plug....that was my one and only venture down the bait exploration.......other than me magic oysters :wink: :wink:
    From all the help and advice you ve postsed Ray I can't see you sending people the wrong way. :wink:

Surely the same questions will from time to time will crop up the very nature of the success of the beast....the growth of the forum and a massive ever increasing membership,who haven t all been on when similar questions were posed.

19. robq

robq Rockling

From my point of view, this subject of bait quality is not black and white :no: there ARE grey areas between the two extremes of the serious open/club angler who spends as much time collecting bait as they do angling!! and the lads who dabble in the sport with a nice bit of mackie, squid or a few flithers !!

I am able bodied and fit, but just do not have the time to travel to collect the absolute top baits that the best anglers do !! I have a young family and work long shifts, so my free time is taken up with fishing :yes:

I accept that I am already at a disadvantage to those guys !!

However my bait is not total crap though :no: I have quality cart baits prepared myself, live mussel that I have skeined myself and fast frozen, good quality frozen black lug, green peelers that I bought earlier in the year and froze down when they were prime and a big stock of razorfish too. I almost always have fresh blacks or blow lug to supplement these baits on a session too :yes:

I put a lot of work and thought into the spots I fish too so like to think that although not in the top 10% of anglers I am not in the bottom 10 either !!

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i am the same as you rob, there just is not the amout of hours in the day when you have a young family, unlike these old old pros :tease:.
    i know my bait is as good as i can get, i also know i need to put more time to get better bait.