1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rorog56

rorog56 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all,
    I was thinking of trying limpets for a change coz usally use worm so i fancey a change but i dont now how to hook them and im not sure weather to collect them myself or buy some frozen ???
    tight lines
    Rory

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

alright rory save your self some money and just collect them your self all you need is some thing to pull them off with hope they work for you let us know how you get on if you do use them

scotty

3. rorog56

rorog56 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cheers broomstick

4. lincshorefisher

lincshorefisher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi

Quickly slip a knife blade under them whilst they are in relaxed state. You'll feel them try and pull the shell down on to the rock. To damn late once the blade is under the edge of the shell!!!

Andy

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I was on Middleton pier on Wednesday night and there was a bag half full of them so people must use them.

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Rory you could try a blowlamp that should get them off same thing brings paint of our window sills keeps your hands warm aswell tightlines Alain

7. filey bouy

filey bouy www.fileylifeboat.co.uk

Short sharp jab under the edge of the shell with a flat bladed screwdiver is a good as owt to get them off. take them out of the shell with a teaspoon they come out real easy, we used to hook them just behind the head back to back on the hook when we baited them on longlines dont know if they will stand up to chucking far baited like that though.
    We caught lots of fish on them used to bait every third of fourth hook with them on a 220 hook line. Worked well when we fished in sand when tides were strong.

8. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Kick them off with the heel of your boot. I would not use them on their own but regularly tip baits off with them when its frosty, Once the black shite sack has gone they are no good.

9. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

11. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

Ive seen fish caught on limpets before. Once saw a lad pull in a cod about 8lb that had a snapped off snood with an 8/0 hook and about 6 limpets on it. Would i use them as bait? No. Mussels are a miles better bait and judt ad

12. Baramundi Bob

Same debate as the mackerel flappers. I challenged deadly fish rich to fish with me using whatever bait he wanted. He took the challenge. The result was 11 fish to me, 1 to him. Quality bait, there is no substitute. Is there any wonder so many of you catch so few fish, time to wake up and smell the coffee.

13. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i totaly agree with glenn but i must admit that when i went out with matty (silver fox) last weekend i had some old stinking cart aswell as fresh i used the old stuff first just to use it and get rid of it and i got 2 cod and a coalie when i switched to the nice new fresh stuff not a sniff but matty had fresh and caught so i was a bit baffled :crazy: not saying the old was better think it was just right place right time

14. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

how come they use to use bucket fulls for long lines then?? they would not use them if they would not work.

i understand the importance of good bait now. bloody fishing messes with your ed to much :yes: :crazy:

15. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I see a bad moon rising,,, :whistle:

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I did catch more than you mate, so glenns point is proved yet again :laugh:

17. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Totally agree glenn it was a very educational night and i know i have heaps and heaps to learn but it will only get better the more effort i put in. Planning on two trips over this week even though the conditions wont be ideal i cant see me learning enough to beat you on sunday :laugh: :laugh: but god do i need the practice :happy: :wink:

18. Baramundi Bob

Ill make the same offer as I did to Rich. Ill choose the mark and the night. Ill put you on the best mark for the conditions. We will fish exactly the same place. There will be no secret baits or anything like that. Ill fish my bait against your limpets. The winner takes £100 off the other angler. Hows that sound ?

19. steerser

steerser Blenny

Limpets are ok for tipping off. No good as a straight bait. :no:
    When the fishstocks were massive, the crabs, mussels, and worms would have taken some serious hammer. That's why the longliners got away with using flithers (limpets).
    They are ok for bulking a bait or tipping off..hook em through the head.
    As Foo said the best way to collect them is to just give them a kick. :educated: :wink: :yes:
    By far the best way to skeen them is to use a half a Mussel shell.. :wink:..beats any knife three to one..

20. pouncer

pouncer Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Remember kicking limpets of a rock years ago , (but that's a differant story)