1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lifeboat Rescue At Robin Hoods Bay - Could Have Been Another Tragedy

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mick Gibson, Sep 13, 2015.

  1. Mick Gibson

    Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

    This could easily have had a tragic ending, hats off to the fine crew of the RNLI

    Father and daughter saved after 45 minutes stranded at sea

    • Date:
    • Author: David Smith
    At 5.15pm on Sunday 6 September, HM Coastguards requested the launch of RNLI Whitby’s inshore and all-weather lifeboats to rescue two people who were in the sea shouting for help at Stoup Beck, Robin Hoods Bay.

    The inshore lifeboat OEM Stone III was the first to leave the station followed closely by the all-weather lifeboat George and Mary Webb. The casualties were close inshore, but at the back of breaking surf. The sea conditions were of moderate visibility but with a four metre ground swell due to the recent strong north westerly winds.

    When the inshore lifeboat reached Robin Hoods Bay they received instructions from local Coastguards as to the exact location of the casualties in the area known locally as Stoup Beck.

    The lifeboat crew managed to find the casualties, who by this time had been in the water for forty five minutes and were exhausted, finding it difficult to keep their heads above water.

    They were a father and his daughter; the daughter had been swept into the sea due to the heavy swell and the father had gone into help, both then being unable to get back to the shore.

    Immediately on being reached by the inshore lifeboat, they were pulled into the boat, which then headed into deeper water and transferred the casualties in to the all-weather lifeboat, where they were checked over by the crew and wrapped in blankets to keep them warm.

    Rescue helicopter 912 had already arrived on the scene, the decision being made to air lift the casualties from the all-weather lifeboat, it being a more stable platform to winch from. The all-weather lifeboat made its way out to sea with the helicopter and both casualties were winched up to it; the helicopter then making its way to James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough.

    Both lifeboats returned back to RNLI Whitby lifeboat station and pronounced ready for service once more at 7pm.

    Whitby RNLI Coxswain Mike Russell said, ‘It was a difficult job, but both crews performed a text book rescue. Thank goodness we reached the casualties in time to save their lives.’

    RNLI media contact
    For more information contact the Rev David Smith, Whitby RNLI Lifeboat Press Officer, on 07891 366755 or Whitby RNLI lifeboat station on 01947 602216.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  2. faraday

    faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

    very very lucky.
  3. Glenn Kilpatrick

    Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

    They were very lucky indeed. People generally would not survive in the weather that long. Speaking to some of the lifeboat crew and the said the dad was so determined to keep them alive, and he was the real hero of the day.
  4. bassman

    bassman Administrator

    well done to the guys RNLI 45 mins in the cold water is a very long time, they were very lucky to survive

Share This Page