1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lib Dems propose trawling ban

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The local lib dems are proposing a policy of No trawling to be introduced as the party policy at a national level. At today's (Saturday 17th Feb) conference in Scarborough it was proposed that Trawling should be banned in favour of more traditional and sustainable methods of fishing. The proposal received the backing of the local area's members and will now go to national level where it will be considered for inclusion in the parties national policies.

A very interesting one to say the least. Are the lib dems the first party to see this as a potential vote winner ?

2. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Will traditional methods include mono-filament gill-nets?

3. Baramundi Bob

I can put you in touch with someone who could tell you what is being proposed if you want Phil.

4. baza

baza New Member

A very interesting one to say the least. Are the lib dems the first party to see this as a potential vote winner ?
    i bet the green party have been saying it for years. hopefully it will be a vote winner, the bigger partys might take notice and realise that the one million sea anglers want there to be a future in our sport.not that i like politics or have ever even voted, but a party who has an anti trawling agenda will get my vote

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I have never voted once in my life,due to the fact that i think they all pee in the same pot.But this policy alone would seriously make me think about voting.

6. steerser

steerser Blenny

trawling should be banned.... i worked on trawlers through the mid eighties, into the early 90s and i have seen the damage that is done by this method of fishing.
    the mid eighties was a boom time for these boats as it was for anglers aswell, there was fish everywhere.
    up until a bout 1984 the average 50/60 foot trawler had around 230hp , sailed early monday morning
    and was finished and tied up by late thursday night or latest, early friday morning, everybody involved was doing alright, then people got greedy.
    one boat put a 360hp engine in and was beating all the others hands down working grounds that couldn't previously be touched. all the others followed suit.
    the boat i worked had a 535hp engine fitted in 1986 and we started working ground that we wouldn't have dream't about at that time.
    licence , (allways wondered why it was called that) was an area just off skinningrove would have been untouchable with the lower hp engines but we fished it all winter that year and made a fortune...but at what price?.........
    when we first started working it the sounder was showing rock pinnacles allover the ground, we were wrecking nets every watch, but still catching fish, within months every tow was getting easier as this rock forest was slowly smashed to pieces.
    i have been back there in my own boat over the last few years and there is nothing lef't it's like a billiard table, we have caught a few codlings there with the rods in the last few years, ain't we ringer?..but nothing like there should have been..
    the ground has been destroyed and that's just that one small area.
    quota's, track records, mesh sizes ect won't do any good a total ban on trawling or a serious horse power cap is the only way ahead...

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Very interesting Steerster,never thought of things like that,like you say,if the rock mark had been left untouched,what would it be like now??

8. steerser

steerser Blenny

not just that mate a lot of the wrecks that were about at the time were wooden boats.
    as soon as the boats went high power they weren't a problem either, we would just tow em away..
    imagine a helicopter dropping 5 tons of wires, chains, and nets onto a meadow, and towing it th length and breath of it for days on end.
    greenpeace would have a field day.....but what the eye doesn't see.....terrible really

9. Baramundi Bob

Why dont you have any faith in quota's steerser ?

10. steerser

steerser Blenny

if a boat has caught all of thier cod quota it doesn't stop them fishing for haddock, whiting, flatfish ect, they will still catch cod among the other species, but because they've caught thier quota of cod they are not allowed to land it, so it gets dumped back overboard dead.
    just because they arn't landing cod doesn't mean they arn't catching it.
    thats why there is so much fish landed illegally.

11. Baramundi Bob

Do illegal landings still exist ? I thought the Navy had cracked down on it over the past 2 years ?

12. steerser

steerser Blenny

can't really say mate. i've been out of it since 1992, but i can't see how the navy could stop it unless they've invested in an awful lot more ships since i was there.
    we used to get boarded 3 or 4 times a year max.
    unless they have a boat for every port and each fleet fishes in a set area. i can't see how they could police it.