1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lealholme FREE fishing pics

Discussion in 'Pictures from Woldedge' started by woldedge, Mar 3, 2008.

1. woldedge

woldedge New Member

2. langy

langy Rockling

great landscapes m8

3. SALMO

SALMO Blenny

Great pic's m8,I just love that place.... :happy:

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

looks a nice stretch

5. woldedge

woldedge New Member

It is a lovely stretch, and the best thing is it is FREE apart from the rod licence

6. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

is there a lot of fish in it??

7. bucko

bucko Guest

In my opinion that pool could be the best on the river.

If it was 3 miles downstream and didn't have paddlers, swimmers, dogs and that damned streetlight next to the pool.

A tough place to crack as the fish become 'potted' in there very quickly.

About three seasons ago there was about 200 sea trout in that pool by August. We caught them as they were entering on a fining down river and did OK. By the next day they wouldn't touch a thing and most of them seemed to sit in the same places until September.

There are some nice brownies in there though- my best was just short of 2.5lb and when gutted had small fish, moths and an owl pellet in its stomach!

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

good brownie that bucko

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah totally agree with bucko there , its a nightmare to get the fish out of there once the river has settled , had them when in spate or finning down , only once did i have a sea trout when the river was low , and that was on a daytime ledgering in the deep part , went 5.1/2 lb .......my biggest brownie was about 1/12 lb , exstatic with it ,,,,,,a 2 lb plus trout is a good fish bucko, what diod you get it on ?
    There must be some big browines in there , how deep do they reckon it is 20ft plus ?

10. bucko

bucko Guest

I got that on a 'Garden Fly' fished tight under the far bushes with just a BB shot. I'd got myself in at the top of the pool, tucked myself away and was letting the water settle when I noticed a canny sized grilse sat on the far bank. It was showing interest in a fly but was shying away once it hit the main current so I gave the worm a go. The salmon wasn't interested but I got that brownie and another of over a pound the same night.

As for depth, its certainly about 8-10ft where the main stream enters the pool- sink tip territory.

I used to fish it a lot at night but the combination of potted fish, that bloody street light and rats the size of rabbits put me off a bit and I now favour streamier, shallow (sometimes wellie depth) runs and pockets.

Now the pool under the bridge is a different matter altogether- especially the tail of it.

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Never fished Lealholme but very tempted to . What lovely free fishing water we have here in the N-East.
    Thats the rivers i was brought up on so to me fish will be lying around the stones and the little pockets and deeper pool. As with all rivers you have got to learn the lies and also this time of year we need a bit of freshwater and early morning and the evenings into darkness are the best times to take a migratory fish if they are in the river.Great pictures. :happy:pB