1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leadhead Fishing From The Shore.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 26, 2007.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Just been reading an interesting article on the use of lead heads from a boat. I was wondering if anyone had ever used them from the shore ? and if so how effective are they ?

2. baza

baza New Member

baited with ragworm for pollock and wrasse on the west coast. works just the same as deep spinning

3. cps

cps Rockling

work well of the brig , tend to sort out better codlings but not as good as a redgill or jellyworm for the pollock

4. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Below is a 4lb pollack caught from Filey Brigg on a jelly worm fished on a leadhead.

Pollack will take a number of different types of lure but if you fish for them regularly you will definitely come to recognise black eel like lures as very effective. The important thing with pollack is to work close up to snags which means you will lose lures. Leadhead/jelly worms lures are ideal as they are cheap and very effective.

[​IMG]

5. Baramundi Bob

Are you using braid or mono for this ? How do you fish the leadheads ? steady retrieve or a spinning action ? Do you let them hit the bottom ?

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

HI bob simon here do alot of lead head fishing i wales i find that letting your sink and then twitch the rod tip so the lead head jumps off the bottom then let it fall again reppeat this all the way in fish tend to hit the bait after it has fallen and just as u twitch it again if u have sand and rock let it sink and a steady retrive close to the bottom can work well........ braid is what i use as u can feel everthing

7. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Hi Glenn,

The reel in the picture is loaded with 12lb mono. I like the way the stretch in mono absorbs the more vicious tugs made by fish which are the ones which tear the hook out. I know some lure anglers swear by braid and it does give better hooking but I have no strong view one way or the other. If I wanted a definitive answer I would look to the American anglers as they lead the way in lure fishing.

I don’t think there is a fixed way of lure fishing. I think fish vary in what entices then to strike. My philosophy is to vary the depth I fish the lure and the action I apply to it until I catch something. I then repeat it and when I stop catching I start varying it again. You also have to explore all the area within your casting range as they may be in one spot but not another.

The pollack in the picture was caught while bouncing the lead-head intermittently along the bottom. I’ve sometimes seen Pollack milling about on the surface on a calm evening and taken them right on the surface. This is quite exciting as they usually crash dive with incredible speed and power. Pollack also have a habit of taking a lure right at your feet so it’s best to set the reel clutch correctly.

Two interesting observations I have made regarding Pollack is that they will take an injured fish off the surface and they will often grab your float when float fishing. I suspect they are attracted to the florescent reds and oranges of the float top.

Phil

8. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Simon and Phil. This is something I hopefully will get around to try - Once my freezer is full of peelers.

9. cps

cps Rockling

have to agree with you on the surface thing phil , i had one come right to the side of the boat this time last year folowing a sandeal , didnt turn away until it almost hit the boat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the two in the pictures were caught proberbly not to far away from where you got that one