1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LEADER KNOTS - BIMINI TWIST & ALBRIGHT - Shockleader Knot

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by seajay, May 31, 2007.

1. seajay

seajay New Member

what type of leader knot is best and how do you tie it .

2. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Re: leader knots

[​IMG]

Hope this helps?

T

3. cps

cps Rockling

bimani twist in the main line then an albright from leader to main, are there any other knots worth using?

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

See :

http://georgepoveromo.com/lineleaderconnection.htm

:) ;)

5. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Hi Cps,

I wouldn't begin to dispute that the bimini is technically a superior connection to the barrel/darkin knot with two turns on the leader side that I use. John Darling, Gibbo and others have been banging on about the Bimini since at least the '70's but I've never bothered to learn to tie it, becuase I'm more than satisfied with the one I use. Most importantly I can tie this in the dark, when fishing, with cold wet hands without a light and I don't need to use my foot, an extra limib or a piece of wood to tie it.

It will not let you down provided you tighten it properly and as I don't fish for big game, there is absolutely no way any fish can snap it through a bent rod while playing it properly. Anyone who's ever had to pull for a break (all of us?) should know this.

Most importantly, I want it to be the weakest connection between the rod and the leader. When you snag up at range and have to pull for a break (as you will on most of the Bristol C marks I fish) I want the knot to go first so I get all my mainline back on the reel, so I don't have to re-spool and don't leave yards of trailing line for others to snag up on.

So that's my philosophy on leaders knots, so in answer to your question, yes there are other leader knots worth using such as the one shown and this, and derivatives of it, are used by the vast majority of anglers I know. Despite the continual publicity, the Bimini has only ever really appealed to a minority of anglers as I'm told it is a pig to tie in real fishing conditions.

Cheers, T

6. robq

robq Rockling

I believe that the real strength in a a bimini leader knot comes from the doubled over mainline as it goes through the overhand loop in the leader line, I agree prof that it is pretty unfeasible to tie the bimini loop whilst on the beach, I have tried and failed ::) ::) The knot that I use instead of the bimini loop is a 4x overhand loop around 12 inches long, carefully moistened and tightened. I then attatch this to the leader as You would a bimini loop. It is probably 90% as strong as a well tied bimini but can be tied on the beach quickly and easily and is far stronger than a standard leader knot. I use penn neon supersurf 0.35mm, 18lb on my penn mag 525s for fishing on the clays and will pull through almost anything.
    Rob

7. seajay

seajay New Member

cheers for the help lads much apreciated.

8. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Ive had a look at the bimini knot and dont even want to attempt it lol

Dan

9. mww

mww Rockling

Regarding the Bimini, you're right it's not easy to tie the first few times that you do it, but like most things plenty of practice & it becomes straight forward.

One thing I found that helps is to make a little wire jig to hold the loop while you're doing the wrapping - I've attached the jigs to tripod & bucket lids, & they're much better (& make a neater job) than putting the loop round your knees/ feet/ etc that usually gets shown in the mags. If I get chance this weekend I'll try to get one of my local technical geniuses (I've 2 teenage daughters, you see!!) to make a video of tying one, as I've never seen a decent written description yet!! Will post it on here somehow....

PT's right, though. Only downside of the Bimini (although personally I don't actually see it as a downside...) is that the leader to mainline knot doesn't remain the weakest point in the connection - you'll soon find out where is, though!! The upside is you'll also find out just how strong even 20lb good quality mono really is!!

Cheers

Mart

10. Baramundi Bob

A video.

What other forum gives you videos on The Bimini Twist. ;D ;D

11. prof tench

prof tench Guest

You ain't seen nothing 'til you've seen dbrown do: 'This in not the Brid' Birdie' on Youtube!

Only teasing Dan, now get revising ::) ::) ::).

Cheers, T

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The Spider knot is an excelent leader knot, practical to tie and not far short of the Bimmini knot for strength.

13. Baramundi Bob

That's the one I meant. Your line is doubled with that one too I think ?

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats right, the mainline is doubled. Sometimes you need to vary it when using say 15lb line as it doesn,t bed down the same but it,s just as easy to tie. It,s ok in summer when your line is warm and supple though.

15. Phil A

Phil A New Member

There was a similar discussion on leader knots on the Holderness web site some time ago to which I contributed making exactly the same point as Prof Tench. You have to ask yourself where do you want the line to break when you inevitably snag up?

Off most beaches anglers tend to use around 15lb bs main line and a 50/60lb bs shock leader. As you can’t break the leader material and it’s not desirable to have a week hook length, when you snag up, it is best if the break takes place at leader knot. This way the minimum amount of line is lost.

If you are fishing in very snaggy ground then most people go to heavier line. I use 30/35lb bs line which I can cast without a leader and use a week link system at the lead. I want of course to break off at the week link which I have at 20lb bs.

There is a situation in between where line greater than 15lb is require but with the heavier tackle it is not possible to cast the distance required. In this case we may use a 20/25 mainline with a 50/60lb shock leader and a week link next to the lead. Consideration has also to be made regarding the strength of the hook length or hook. As we want to ensure we break off at the week link it is desirable that the leader knot is as strong as possible. This is the only situation I can see where an extremely strong leader knot like the bimimi knot would be of any advantage.

16. cps

cps Rockling

and thats the situation that most rock anglers come across most of the time.
    if i'm fishing 35 straight through i still use the bimini as it makes breaking 40lb hook lenghts the norm

17. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Just been sat up for about 1 hour learning how to tie the bimni knot and i have fianlly concored it yessssss. ;D

Danny

18. prof tench

prof tench Guest

It's ' conquered' Dan, now stop playing with knots and get your head down for that English exam! :) :) :)

T

19. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Haha Im Have a Maths exam tommorrow. God i hate maths lol. Thank god it's in the afternoon though ;D

Dan

20. Baramundi Bob

Think yourself lucky its not English Dan.

Sleep tight young man ;)