1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leader knot

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by MR_CHAD, Sep 28, 2013.

1. MR_CHAD

MR_CHAD Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can any 1 explain a good leader knot to me or have any links that show you ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2. Groyne

Groyne Guest

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

4. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Agreed... here's a different link with wots his face tying it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzlmfCTTb0

Failing that a tournament leader knot... http://www.worldseafishing.com/tackle/knots/tournament-leader-knot/

5. fishface1

fishface1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thx for the link going to try this

6. MR_CHAD

Thanks guys appreciate it filling the car up n should be on the beach in a few hours new f1 line n new shock ere goes

7. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

agree with jellyworm. bimini to faffy.

8. cps

cps Rockling

bimini is the only way to get decent knot strength from super thin copolymer and braid lines
    easy as any other to tie once you get the hand of it lest then 20 seconds I would think

9. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Im with Chris. Bimini cant be that difficult as I taught Killer to tie it. For strength I aint seen anything that comes close.

10. MR_CHAD

I may av just mastered it now cheers guys

11. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Leader knot

I take it nobody has any problems laying these knots on the spool and or catching in the rings? I've used the Albright but now going to start learning these.
    Good thread

12. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

what knot do you lads use for the leader? Used to use the bimi in carp fishing but not for leaders

13. cps

cps Rockling

Albright to the loop

14. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

which would you say is the stronger knot.
    bimini or spider hitch, I would take a guess at them being the same or very close.

15. cps

cps Rockling

bimini by a country mile

16. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I use an Albright.
    I am clearly wrong, but I thought a bimini was just to create a very strong loop, where you want to double up on line. No?

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

In a fashion, but how the loop is created is what the bimini is all about. Basically it acts likes a spring which is something you dont get from any other knot. The albright is used to tie the leader into the bimini.

18. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Was introduced to this knot by Henry Gilbey and used it all week in Norway on spinning rod , just the smallest neatest leader knot I have ever seen just glides through rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R3_znSAPz8

Agree about the bimini twist it had been around for years and just works !

19. wilky

wilky Blenny

Assuming you are using 60-80lb shockleader - try heating the end to soften it and then use a hard surface to mushroom the end. Take your mainline and tie a simple grinner or uni knot then tighten it up to the mushroom - super neat and slim but cant exactly do it on a windy rainy beach !!

Personally I like 80lb braid shocker, then simply tie on mainline with a grinner/uni. Controversial subject, but i believe that lack of stretch in the braid allows more of your power to build into the rod compression, so i am convinced you get a few more yards, but it is a less forgiving cast and the timing is a little different

20. cps

cps Rockling

seen that done before but done a bit different works well on thick leader to thin braid but can come of the end on thinner leader say 40lb to 25lb braid