1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

launching at petticowick bay advice

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by codnchips, Jun 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. codnchips

codnchips until the end

just wondering if anyone has any info on launching a kayak from this mark near st abbs. ive done a site search and it says to launch from here but from memory of shore fishing this area it looks a nightmare to get to because of the slopes etc.
    fishing here from the yak is something ive always wanted to do so just need the relevant info before i head out.
    looking on google maps/satellite shows a sort of slip but looks very difficult to get down to but it could be deceiving????
    thanks for any info

2. andym

andym Rockling

What about launching in Coldingham Bay only a short paddle over decent ground from there https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=st+abbs&hl=en&ll=55.893393,-2.129084&spn=0.005144,0.016512&sll=55.861381,-2.069829&sspn=0.010296,0.033023&t=h&hnear=St+Abbs,+Scottish+Borders,+United+Kingdom&z=17

Looks like the kind of terrain that would need a perfect forecast as your only get out appears to be high jagged rocks

3. codnchips

codnchips until the end

did look at coldingham bay but couldnt see the point if you could launch closer to chosen destination. your right it is very rough ground. hard work from the shore getting to some of the marks so a nice day with good weather would be amazing on the yak. also andy, i was up at goathland today and seen a few adders

4. andym

andym Rockling

Good views of the Adders Tom or just glimpses?

5. codnchips

codnchips until the end

just glimpses really. did get a skin though. the kids are fascinated!

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I have seen people launch from Petticoe Wick , it would be easier if there was two of you but im sure it would be doable if you just take it easy , St Abbs harbour
    would be an option , theres some cracking ground just outside of the harbour , Cathederal Rock could give you some FAB fishing and the Head isnt to far to
    your left

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Mick Webster is up there as we speak he`s gone to yellow criag caravan site he as his yak with him so should be going out if the weathers right ring reception and leave a message

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    You can launch at Petticowick but it is a bit of a huff and puff to get your kayak up the bank, the advantage though is that you've got good fishing in only a short paddle.
    I have been thinking about getting a smaller kayak like a malibu mini-x for marks like this, I've hardly used my prowler for over 18months now.

Anyhow I know lads that launch here and they have no problems, here's a few photos to help you make up your mind.

Here's the approach road to Petticowick, the flat area to the left is a gravel bit were you can park

[​IMG]

Here's a couple of views of the cove itself showing the boulder beach and the old pier remains

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this photo you can see the track down through the grass

[​IMG]

Fantastic scenery isn't it?

[​IMG]

Good luck, I hope that this has been of some use.

Regards Ian

9. codnchips

codnchips until the end

excellent info there ian. the pictures really do show more than my memory from last year. thanks for that. i think that is doable with care. thanks.

10. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

What a stunning looking place, I'm tempted to set off there now! Let us know how you get on Tom, it certainly seems worth the drive.

11. codnchips

codnchips until the end

it is amazing with the rock formations. ive done very well here from the shore the few times i have fished it. not planning on going until i get a good break in the weather and not at work but a report will follow!

12. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You're more than welcome mate, only too pleased to be of help.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on......there's some very big pollack up there.

Regards Ian