1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last trip of year to Isle of Whithorn

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bobthedog, Oct 28, 2013.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I promised my mate that I'd join him at the Isle to give him a hand to get his boat out the water for the winter. As the forecast was looking good for last Thursday I decided an early start was on the cards.

It was just after 11 when I parked up at the Isle unfortunately a little late for the bottom of the tide so no bait digging. As it was a pleasant sunny day with little wind I headed out on the rocks with spinning rod in hand to try for pollock.

The mark I chose was about a mile from the Isle. After throwing a spinner around for the best part of an hour without a sniff (only tiny pollock about the size of the spinner following it in), it was time for a change.

This time I opted for rigging up with a 3in fluorescent green rubber eel. First cast bang a small pollock about 12oz.

That was followed shortly after by another 2 between a pound and a pound and a half, not big fish but better than nothing.

Friday was a wet and windy start brightening up just after lunch so we decided that was the day to get the boat out and do the odd jobs.

Only problem the wind had increased to the point where my mate was unable to row his dingy out to the boat, he just kept getting blown back in.

Luckily one of the locals gave him a lift out and with a tail wind getting it on the trailer was easy.

We'd heard that cod and bass had been showing at Sandhead so we headed over Sat morning to dig bait and fish the tide in. Within 5 min of the first cast two of us had a bite, luckily I hit mine.

In came a nice plump bass of 4lb, it turned out to be the only fish of the day.

We fished for the next 4 hrs without so much as a crab let alone a bite,

In all not the best weekends fishing but we did get the boat safely stored for winter and I came home with a nice bass for tea and the other bonus I brought back about a dozen fresh peelers we had left from Saturday's session.