1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last chuck of the season.

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bobthedog, Mar 10, 2017.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Over the last few weeks I got sick of putting my trips off, watching the swale rise the day before I wanted to go. Well luckily today it was the opposite and dropping off. I really wanted one last go for the Chub before the season closed. Getting to the river there was just over a foot extra in and falling but it was the colour of tea.
    There was only one other car parked on the stretch and a passing dog walker told us that he was fishing upstream, that was good news as it meant my favorite peg down stream would be free. I was on a mission to christen my new tip rod, a Hardy Marksman Supero I found lurking downstairs in Keith's sports Saltburn. Must have been one of the last for sale anywhere in the country.
    Sure enough the peg was empty, fast water running into a big pool before shallowing and running off and big enough to comfortably accommodate two so we could chat whilst we fished. We chose feeder and maggot to start. I cast out then realised I hadn't set my landing net up. As I screwed the head on I looked up to see my rod bouncing, bite one in less than a minute missed. This set the tone for the first hour I must have missed at least six bites, every time I turned my head to talk to my mate I saw the tip bouncing out of the corner of my eye. I finally broke the curse of the new rod with a Grayling of about a pound. Shortly after this it was my mates turn with the exclamation of "gosh what's happening to my line" (or something like that), he'd cast to the far side but his line was back at this side without any taps on the rod. Winding in his rod bent into a decent fish. It was a couple of minutes before it broke surface in front of us we looked at each other in surprise, A Pike on size 14 double maggot. It weighed in at 6lb and my mate was chuffed for the rest of the day. I hooked into a decent fish probably a Chub but lost it as the hook straightened then the bites dried up on maggot. I spent the rest of the day fishing bread resulting in 5 bites and hooking three Chub, these were 3, 3.5 & 4.5 lb all rather rough lean looking fish. If they had been in good condition I think you could have put a lb on each but I suppose the way the rivers been over the last month it must have taken it out on the way the fish feed. My mate try as he might on different baits couldn't tempt a bite.
    We both packed in happy to finish the season on a high, him with his Pike and me christening my new rod with 3 Chub and a Grayling. Roll on June 16th when I can get back to the rivers, in the meantime I suppose I'll have to make do fishing the no challenge Carp puddles. My verdict on the new rod, it's a cracking bit of kit it's a softer through action than my last but has plenty of power in reserve with excellent bite detection. All the reports I'd read about the rod were right definitely quality worthy of the Hardy brand.

• Like Like x 1
  2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice way to sign off the season, my last trip on the river was Feb 12th , but have had a pretty good year or a pretty good winter season piking would be a better description all on the Tees

Already looking forward to next years campaign

3. basha

basha Blenny

grt result on your final sesh of the season.
    unlike the tees,the swale is one one river that fishes up and down.
    i love my bules fishing on the swale and have had many a gd seshion with 2 meters of water in and took some of my large chub when targeting the whiskers.

well done on your sesh fella.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Good fishing lads. Regarding chub and barbel fishing, theres something I cant work out. When I fish the Tees for Barbel, I catch chub after chub after chub. Then a barbel. When I fish the Swale for barbel, I catch barbel with no sign of chub. Ok, the Tees has a lot more chub than barbel, but the Swale is blessed with plenty of both species, but Ive fished the Swale for about 6 years now and have never caught a chub.

5. basha

basha Blenny

a lot of the chub have been smashed by otters dave on the swale and tees aswell.
    the swale some 6 yrs back was a cracking place to stick float forthe chub and a good day had by all,specially the upper reaches i think have sufferd more.anywere really below topcliff mill i find better for the chub.im surprised you havnt had a few bags out along thorny.i always find i get a few chub bfore the bules.a good spot is upstream of the bridge around 500yds were the field opens out.it shallows up with a few reed fringed area in the middle of the river.early season they shoal up along there and you can take 60lb easy if your patient enough with the bait.i sit feed them for half hour with hemp in caster build there confidance up bfore fishing for em,but plenty there.

6. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Must agree about the otters, I've been a member of Northallerton since 89 and never felt I needed to join any other club to get fishing on the swale as theirs was a cracking stretch. Over the years I've had bags of over 25 chub all over 3lb and lost nearly as many in a day. I've packed up not because the fish dried up but my arms were aching with pulling them out. Sadly it's a different story now there are still chub to be found but not in the numbers there used to be. There's never been a lot of barbel on this stretch but there are some crackers when you find them. The other year I hit one in the run off of some fast water, never seen the float rod bend from the handle before. Couldn't move the fish just felt a few powerful thumps and it was gone. Used to be some big pike as well, I've had a 3lb+ chub taken as I played it. Damned thing didn't let go till I drew it's head over the net easily a 20lb+ fish.
    A barbel on the tees is something of a holy grail for me as I've never seen one yet. I fish Thornaby's and the association water on the tees.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

Cheers Mark. I was fishing that stretch of Thorny, but not that far up about a month a go. I was testing a new centrepin out, and only managed one grayling. BTD, I was thinking of joining Northallerton, but i'll leave it till next year.

8. basha

basha Blenny

get yourself in a midlands club dave and come with us you'd love it mate......sheldons is one hell of a stretch and very lightly fished and 40 notes covers you for 5 stretches of trent,2 of which you can night fish on the same ticket.one of the stretches is tidal and has a warm water outlet so does well in colder months too.couple of stretches on the witham aswell.some grt sport were we go with carp aswell/zander/pike/humongo bream and loads of silvers.all combination locks and you can drive to every peg on all stretches.

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Which club are you in Mark?. Thanks for the offer too.

10. basha

basha Blenny

newark piscatorals dave and birmingham anglers.......i would go for the newark personally.

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

The Witham looks fantastic.

12. basha

basha Blenny

wilson is a regular on the witham,he likes the roach fishing.
    got to go back 20yrs since i last fished it,was supposed to have been a better river then to what it is now.its had its probs with predation as has many others.the trent for me seems to be better than the late 80's/90's when i fished regular matches on there.it was very hit and miss then for bules,always was plenty of chub,but was mainly bream the target then,but the bules are certainely piling on the pounds.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

I would imagine it would be an all nighter having drove for two hours to fish there. Anyway, i'm having withdrawal symptoms already and the close seasons just started.

14. basha

basha Blenny

gives me time to buy things i dnt need dave,you know that tart thing lol.
    already bought a couple of new runners,why i dnt know but they was shiney and looking at me through the cabinet.and purchased a new sky pod for the trent cos the korum ones are fine for swale etc but not the trent.you got to get your rods really high on the trent and thoughs korum ones just aint big or stable enough and some of the pegs,well most infact its impossible to get power spikes in with all the bed rock......know what you mean though bout frustration,im like a kid in a candy shop a month bfor the season opens.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

That gives me an idea Mark. Take your sea fishing tripod and put your rod in the cup:D.
    Would you know if theres been any movement on Guisy Hall lake? Bloody waste of a potential close season fishing venue that lake is. I remember someone took a lease on it a few years back, and i was chatting to you there when you were sussing it out. Nowt come of it as far a I can recall.:(

16. basha

basha Blenny

theres lads on trent that use sea pods dave they cheaper.

as for guisbrough,i enquired about trying to make it a syndicate water and scrap they day tickets,it was a waste of time mate.the people on there couldnt make there mind up and didnt have a clue how to run a fishery if it smacked them in the face.then there was the mad hatter who gave the anglers grief as soon as they sat down.we tried as you know to promote the water and get it kick started back off and had a few trials on there.we continued to support it for a while but we were flogging a dead horse to be fair so we banished the idea.shame really could be a good fishery.

17. Davo

Davo Rockling

Another local loss was the bluela. (Blue Lagoon for those who don't know.) Bye, there was some big pike and eels in that place. I was fishing the first pond one morning after a night fishing the second pond for eels, but with no success when I heard my mate shout who was still fishing the second lake for eels. When I got to him, he was half way up the cliff. He said he had hooked an eel and it swam straight towards him and out of the water, and was that big it frightened him and he scarpered up the cliff. Hard to believe, but was as honest as they came.

18. basha

basha Blenny

yeah i used to fish lagoon all the time and remeber thoughs big snakes.
    i was getting tortured with booties all the time so meself and dave wild went and targeted the eels.we used dead roach around 3/4 inches and we were getting dropped liners all time and striking to early.after a while we sat on our hands and waited for a longer run,they were like conger bites delicate little pulls at first and after 10 mins or so you got the run.we had some munsters to 4lbish.some pig perch took our deads aswell.used the old doby top as indicater,for thoughs who dnt know they was washing up bottle tops,when it was windy you wedged a pebble on the hole to weight it down.

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

Ah, Doby tops. That brings back memories and just as effective as bite arms, swingers when you are sat with your rod. The Tees as well for eel fishing. Not massive but good sport. Under the bridge at Lealholm too, using lumps of trout for bait. Mark, can you remember a lad called Dusty? He was with me along with Keith Harris and Dave Harbisher. It was Dave who ran from the eel at the bleula.

20. basha

basha Blenny

yes mate remember dusty.
    lealholm brings back some memories aswell.you know that sign they have over tuther side of river that says deep pool,think its still there.well i was wading on the night dabbling with the fly for sea trout and that hole got me.was expecting it to be a tadge deeper than were i was around 3ft when i disapeared to my shoulders.not ideal middle of night scrambling out with waders full of water....i blanked too.used to have loads of fun on the leven at grt ayton.we would start off near waterfall and head right upstream through little ayton,was some surprises back in late 70's 80's in what we would call a beck as far as little ayton.it was of tommy ruffs aswell and bull heads.fell in there aswell.