1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kimera lug worm pump -lee

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Big yellow, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Big yellow

Big yellow Guest

Hi. I should be very grateful if anyone knows how I can contact Lee (I have lost his phone number), who used to make the Kimera lug worm pump. I bought one from him and now don't know where to buy a replacement washer (a straight sided rubber bung with a hole in it). The closest I can find is a demijohn bung, but they have a taper. I have tried making a silicone one using bathroom sealant but it took ages to set, was always tacky and disintegrated when I tried to use it.

Many thanks for your help. David

2. Big yellow

Big yellow Guest

Btw, just been told that the best sealant to use for making a washer is glaziers . Going to be giving that a try.

3. boro roy

boro roy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You will be lucky mate lee has gone to ground leaving a trail of destruction behind him!

4. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

I use the bathroom sealant from screwfix. Works great and sets in a day or so , but your better leaving it as long as you can

Owt for Nowt .
    Nowt wrong with that.

5. Teacuis

Teacuis Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I got one off him a couple of years ago, biggest pile of sh*te I have ever bought. Get an alvey and make your own washers.

Paul.

6. Big yellow

Big yellow Guest

I actually like the pump Lee sold me. It's a 25mm bore stainless steel. I think the smaller bore is better once you get the hang of pumping (the pros all seem to use narrower bore copper 18 or 22mm). The Alveys are large bore I think, too much effort shifting all that sand!

Lee's rubber bung lasted for 3 years and I have used it weekly.

I would like to make a new pump and have bought the narrower copper piping. I can't immediately see how to make the steel rod with a screw thread at the bottom and attach a handle. I don't have any metalworking skills.

7. Teacuis

Teacuis Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Alvey do a narrow bore extra long pump, I'm 6ft 3 and they are very good. I cut l0mm off the end of the kimera and use it as a mould to make new silicone washers with clear bathroom silicone.
    I regularly pump 100 blacks in less than an hour no problem, its the washer that's the secret not the pump and use washing up liquid not oil as the oil becomes sticky and picks up sand on the shaft.

Paul.

8. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

dont try to make the washer too thick ,1/4 inch is enough and make sure you put a metal washer front and back of the silicon washer otherwise it will tear,i utilise these and stick an old rubber washer in front and back as well ,
    silicon washers dont wear like the rubbish rubber ones we all used to buy from alvey ,
    did a feature on here how to make silicon washer a couple of years ago but type [silicon washers ] and you should find it ,easy to do and they improve your pumps action many times.

frank.

9. krysb

krysb Blenny

for what its worth, the "" Alvey "" washers, wear very well, dont crumble, dont swell like the "" relpacement alvey " bait pump washers ( notice the "" alvey replacement "" detail??
    e bay and 99% of tackle shops DO NOT STOCK alvery washer kits, stick an alvey washer next to one off e bay, different material, and also size when wet

i use nothing but alvey washers in my pump, and have no issues over the course of a seasons pumping, but saying that, mine and all the original spares for the pumps inc pull rods, bushes etc came direct from Bruce @ alvey in australia!!!
    does not stop me pumping circa 500 + per tide if oi need to ??!!
    silicone is very good for washers, and the best one is the flue sealant, used for boiler flue sealing etc, heatproof, goes off very well, and needs minimal lubrication

me

10. frank avey

whatever your happy with krysb,
    i have used both over the years and silicon are far superior ,
    made them for a few lads on here and non use alvey washers now and never heard anyone going back to rubber ,
    my problem with alvey washers besides the shops charging a fiver for half a dozen rubber washers was not crumbling but you had to keep adjusting the nut to keep the suction ,no need to do that with silicon as they keep the suction for an age,
    suppose each to their own but i know what i use and would never go back to rubber unless it was on a page three bird.

frank.

11. krysb

krysb Blenny

as said each to their own mate

rubber has never let me down ( i dont think pmsl !!!), bur numerous cheap silicone ones have!!!!!!!
    only ever change the washers to flue sealant if in very dry sand , as stated they dont need any adjustment,
    rubber seems fine dandy in damp sand
    saying that though, after last weeks big tides, the old back still aint recovered lol!!! 500+ per tide was more than enough !!, so may be time to pack the pumpin up

12. frank avey

know what you mean mate,
    still easier than digging if you just want a few for a good days fishing,used to be able to get 4/500 a tide myself but them days are gone as glass backed now ,can remember chasing them with a spade before the pumps came out ,now that was hard work .

13. krysb

krysb Blenny

tell me about it mate

used to dig ragworm for a living whilst located in portsmouth
    40lb+ per tide mate, stood up to your tits in the mud, with an 8 tined tarmac fork, scraping the fook out of the flooded landfill sites, with a floating tray tied to your waist!!!, did it for about 5 yrs, till it all got developed into a posh firkin marina n filled in!!!
    then moved oop north to lincs, stated on the blacks n yellows, then got a proper job!!! lol!!

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I got a kimera 28mm pump and couldnt get on with it at all. hated the bung style washer. have just replaced it with silicon washer. pump now runs really smooth and seems to have plenty of suction but i went pumping one night last week on the big tides and just couldn't get any worm at all. only a few tails!

15. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Instead of waiting days for silicon sealant to go off, mix the sealant with (water) first then apply to pump tube sets in minuets, BTW you don't need too much water but make sure its well mixed into sealant.

Mark

16. smokey

smokey Rockling

I got the bigger bore alvey one about 10 years ago Matty and tried it on my local beaches and only got tails like you.

At the time I put it down to the sand not being suitable here but more likely it was down to my plss poor technique lol

I reckon I need a lesson how to set one up and use it right from someone who knows their stuff .

17. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I also have a Alvey wide bore one mart (well its Mark Gelders actually) and I have had some success with it from the same beach , but its hard work, whicvh is why i got a slimline. I'd also like a lesson from an expert, who could check my pump and technique

18. Iank

Iank Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I keep looking in but don't post much as it would be like teaching grandma how to suck eggs but this is what a lot of lads down our way use.

http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=26982

I hope Graham doesn't mind me pinching his post but its also a good site for our area and worth an occasional look. I also do the same thing with the middle of tronix rig winders. Its quicker than waiting for silicone.

I don't claim to be an expert but if you're ever this way Matty or if I take up that cod session offer it would be good to get a bit of bait. Mind you its been a bit poor this last set of tides.

Ian

19. Iank

Iank Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Mistake and can't find delete, sorry

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Hi Ian, we will definitely sort something out this winter either way mate