1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep Tanks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Jan 27, 2014.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Saw this on YouTube and wondered if anyone did something similar. Looks quite compact and neat, but wasn't too sure of its "make-up". With not having a fridge, I store my blacks on the garage floor in trays and change water everyday but looking for ways to improve so I can keep whites too, as no room for a bait fridge at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUj7T-6REBc

2. Steve

Steve Rockling

I do something similar but I use a fish box with no olles in. Yo can also use the clear storage boxes from b+q. Problem is keeping the water cool

3. dezzy

dezzy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I always keep my white in coal dust and change water every week or so have kept them for upto 4/5 months at a time like this

4. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cool, would be interested to see how its set up

5. Solly

Solly Blenny

This system still requires a lot of work in checking worms everyday. Keeping your spare water at the same temperature. Early and late season can be a nightmare with worms blowing. I had a large tank in the garage running an air stone through ventilated pipe work covered on stones and shells. I still prefer to tray my worms in the fridge with only 20 worms per tray. At a constant 5 degrees but I use wet newspaper rather than a covering of water. Using wet newspaper I find the worms don't take on too much water.

6. crazy horse

crazy horse Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

disagree mate once its set up takes little time maintaining /checking ect ,early seaon worms (im on about gullys) are all tempermental where ever you keep them,..i have a coiled up hose pipe running through a freezer which keeps the water cool enough until temps drop naturally,every couple ov weeks add a large bucket of sea water just to freshen water up ,,2 minutes every day or 2 just to check for dead or dying worms an keep check on salinity..takes a while to get it set up ,but once done its worth it, imo.

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wjenever I keep worm just 20-25 worm in a cat litter tray 1/2 inch of water tops ...... and change water every day bit just dnt do what I did before bought 100 quids wotth of worm from.norfolk kept it in fridge and put bloody temp 2 low nd froze tje bloody worm... :-\

8. Solly

Solly Blenny

Crazy horse the point I was making was that there is still work to be done in checking worms on a daily basis periodically cleaning out etc with the risk of greater losses, and it can be hard work with yellow tails and blacks early autumn and spring time with pressure and temperature fluctuations andI too thought it would be almost maintenance free but after years of having a filtered tank system I find it easier to maintain trays in the fridge. The tank system is good for bringing crabs on and I do miss not having it for that reason.

9. crazy horse

crazy horse Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i understood what you were saying mate i was just having my oppinion ,not trying to imply your oppinion was wrong,theres a fair amount of losses an tears when setting a tank up an it dosnt happen over night,from my point of view i would rather have them sat in my tank then in my fridge especially as i find fridges a little susceptable to temperature changes when stored in my shed an had bait ,worms an crab frozen.in the past ,love them or hate them,what ever makes you happy,,

10. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Agree with u EFC cat litter tray,20/25 worms water half way up there bellies n not underwater,change water every day,I keep e'm this way if I want to keep e'm a while.For short term storage just 15/20 worms in newspaper in the fridge,change paper every couple of days.Only prob with the long term storage in water 4 me is that they get washed out/take on water n loose their juices too much,but on the other hand they do keep,espesh if u look after e'm n any dying worms/bloody worms take e'm out n discard :)