1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak uptiding in the frost

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by newdave, Nov 28, 2008.

1. newdave

newdave Guest

Basseyken & myself dusted the Kayaks off this morning and headed up to Runswick this morning on a mission to intercept one of those pigs before it located Ramrods hook.
    It was white over when i loaded the car up, but by the time we got to launch it was lovely and bright if a bit chilly, the drysuit and many layers underneath & the bag full of flasks of Bovril and off we go.
    [​IMG]
    the piles of weed on the beach were so thick it was hard to wheel the kayak down :no:
    Got out to the front of Kettlness & chucked the anchor in & chucked a nice big lump of cart & mussel in for mister cod, Ken used me as a mooring so we only loose one anchor :wink:
    [​IMG]
    nice relaxed fishing although the wind & swell were a bit fresher than forecast, I soon had a nice 5lber aboard & Ken got one of mattys favorite pouting :whatever:
    [​IMG]
    then a cod :happy:
    [​IMG]
    i finished with 4 & Ken 2 plus more pouting, not manic but all the fish were decent between 4 & 5 lb, short days and a freshening breeze meant it was not long before we were heading back to shore
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my fish
    [​IMG]
    definatley our best attempt at winter fishing, the correct clothing is the key, just to drop anchor in the right place next time :happy:
    Also its amazing how quickly your paddling muscles forget what to do, I am knacked :yes: :yes:

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Great report/pics Dave, good see some yaks on the water again :nerd: Good result as well, just leave Matty's Pouting alone though otherwise he won't be happy :wounded: :evil:

What is it like paddling with all the thermal gear on?

3. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Respect guys on venturing out on the yaks today.Glad to see you had a few fish too.Nice report and pics.Bet you wish you had joined em now Sam

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nice one boys, you yakkers are the keen o the keen, and deserve a fish or two, well done :yes:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Yer knackered too, only just sat down after rinsing out all the gear and putting it away. Got a few more pics, will upload them in a mo but ye another cracking day.

Sam I actually wore my wetsuit and neoprene socks, on top of this I put on some normal socks and then my neoprene waders and just a nother fleece and cag on the top, was well warm. 1st time out in the waders but definately the best choice today. I felt a little restricted in at all and to be quite honest i was a little apprehensive paddling out as its been a few weeks since we've been out. You soon get you sea legs and confidence back though :happy:

Ken

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

nice report lads, just you leave my pouting alone!

7. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A few more pics as promised....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. robq

robq Rockling

Well done lads :yes: nice to see you get a fish or two as well !!

The winter yakking can be tough as I found out last year :whatever:

Hoping to have a little dabble myself when the dorado arrives for a holderness piggie or two in dec/jan !!

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great stuff lads, top report and pics as always... :yes: cant wait to get the yak out, but i think i will wait until next spring/summer before i give it ago myself..

10. dbrown

dbrown Guest

[​IMG]

Love this picture. haha

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Didn't think even you two nutters would go out after seeing the swell at Cayton :surprise: it was bloody freezing too :baby: Looks like there's still colour in the water up there, hope it stays like that for the weekend. Nice to see a yakking report after so long and well done to you both for your efforts and fish :happy:

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Your pigs are safe for now Ray :sad: but we will be back. Between 10am an 2.30pm it was fine but after that the cold soon set in, wind was a little worrying but that settled down early on. Also it was a really big lazy swell and as long as we stayed away from the scars it didn't bother us. I've scrubbed my kit properly and put it away, not sure it will be coming out too soon again - but who knows :happy:

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

There was a pig about 125yd away from you Ken just over your right shoulder, don't know how you missed it :whistle:

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

:suspious: :suspious: :suspious: :confused: :cheesy: :wink: :cheesy:

15. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done lads, great fishing

16. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Funny you should say that Ray because I couldn't but help notice there was a large area in the middle of the bay in a decent depth of water were the water was clear. Out in the tide it was still very coloured.

17. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Being honest. How cold was it ??

18. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Water was fine, no colder than september, wind chill on fingers was what hurt, my feet were ok too with wearing dry waders, socks etc rather than neoprene kayaking boots, know Dave suffered a little with his feet. And because there was minimal wind I even got undressed down to my pants (pretty sight-not) back at the van and it was fine :happy: - temperature dropped dramaticly as the sun went behind the cliffs at 2.30

19. newdave

newdave Guest

water 6 deg , air 5,

the wind started fresh SW 3-4 but was forecast variable 3 or less, its vital you have really warm gear, under my drysuit i had 4 layers of thermals & technical gear and was toasty except for the feet so need better socks next time. you need neoprene gloves for paddling & a balaclava, probably wold be a good idea to get a neoprene one from the surf/diving shop. plenty of hot liquid as you cant move around to generate heat.

I for one will defo give it another go if the conditions are favourable, we have sorted the method for fishing out, uptiding with grippers works a treat, just wait for the rod tip to spring up then wind it in :yes:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Really wish I could have come along lads. Why is it the weather is always wrong on the weekends. Well done on getting out there though. I feel pretty certain there will be warmer days this winter. With an offland breeze and frost on the land it must have been really cold out there.