1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Sails - Would you buy one ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-tackle-reviews/kayak-sail/

Bit expensive wouldn't you say ?

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Just take a brolly Glenn and bob's your uncle

3. Baramundi Bob

Top advice and if it rains you can stay dry.

:cheesy:

4. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Stick to the basics Glenn. Falling in and climbing back on :laugh:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I rang Atlantic Sail who told me Johnson Outdoors were going to be importing them, know a few lads down south swear by them. Put my name down for one of the first ones across but don't think I'll bother at the mo. We just have so much flippin wind around here and looks good fun :happy:

6. newdave

newdave Guest

certainly would have got us back from Bempton quick on Sunday, westerly straight down the beach. my drouge factory is in full production now maybe I should move on to sails next :canadian:

7. Baramundi Bob

Can you put me on your drogue list please Dave. Your catch rates speak for themselves - You spawny sod.

8. Volusian

Volusian New Member

they certainly seem to have gone up in price a little since JOD started importing .. the other problem with them i found is that unless you have a really long kayak like a P15 etc when the kayak is in the down position the whole system seriously gets in the way of you fishing and even paddling. Obviously when not in use you cant just leave it up and out of the way so it has to be pulled down flat and laid either between your legs or angled to one side. As i said either way they long bars and loose ropes etc get in the way so for a shorter kayak like a P13 or smaller the sail bars when down are almost in your face ... other than that they are quite good fun to use and do move you at some knots ( hopefully in the direction you wish to travel in :canadian: )

Out of interest i have just got another sail system to test out which is much smaller in design and when not in use folds down into a small deck mount bag ... and these only retail at around £80 .... so much cheaper and when not in use dont get in your way while fishing .... i'll let you know how i get on with it ..!

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

My drouge was gathering dust in my shed untill last weekend and after using it I don,t think I would go without it now. The one Dave uses stops him dead which is ideal when you need to put yourself into a certain area or if you happen to drop onto a few fish. A smaller drouge can be handy if you need to slow down but still cover ground which is usefull when trying to locate a fish or too. One of each would be ideal and as they are so light. I,m not keen on using the anchor in fact I have not used it yet but Daves "super-drouge" is as good as, if not better, not to mention it,s uses in an emergency which I just have :crazy:

10. newdave

newdave Guest

first 3 are off the production line & i have run out of material,

they are for Marion, Ramrod & Quint. I know Ian 07 wants one so if there is more interest i will order some more material and make a batch. bit foolish really its the first time i have had an advantage when fishing & i was quite enjoying being top rod for a couple of days :wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:surprise: Sweet. And well pesented by Marion too! how did you get her to do it Dave, was it something like ...darling would you mind slipping this ring onto your finger :cheesy:. It looks like a tidy job :cool:

12. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Wail till they all see that pole we are getting, they'll all want one of them too :wink:

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

B#gger! Wish I saw them before buying my Wychwood Drogue earlier this week :cry: not to worry

14. Volusian

Volusian New Member

look good dave ..... how much are the drogues ??

cheers .. keith

15. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Just remember chaps that the drogue only stops you in still water. In tidal waters it means that you move at the same speed as the tide with little or no wind drift. If you are wanting to drift with the tide then a drogue is the way to go. If you want to drift a lure or bait across the line of the tide then a sail or kite is the better option (unless the wind is going the same way as the tide).

I've had a small traction kite in the yak for a few months now, but I've only used it once in fresh water. It's a bit of a handful in a strong wind as I quickly found out. The Yanks are into this sail yakking and the rule of thumb is to use 1.5 sq.m of sail for a 15' yak. Anything more and they recommend outriggers as the amount of heel can flip yak if an unexpected gust hits it. There are many who use a golfing umbrella for downwind trolling.

16. newdave

newdave Guest

I will cost it properly when i can get some more material, my supplier is on holiday this week, most expensive bit is the sail tape i use for the seams & reinforcing the attachment points I reckon about £20 should cover it.

17. Baramundi Bob

Worth every penny I would say Dave. Stick us down for one.

18. Volusian

Volusian New Member

put me down for one please dave ... ..

thanks
    keith

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Your poor lass going to kill you Dave :yes: . Looks like she going to be spending the rest of the summer sat over a sewing machine.

20. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Now this is more like it...
    [​IMG]

:yes: