1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Rod Holder - Which One ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

It looks like Im gonna need a rod holder like you guys use. Im fed up of having to reacj over my shoulder when I get a fish when trolloing. So whats the best rod holder and the best place to fasten it to ?

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

The Scotty one bolts stright on Glenn - into those four brass ferules at the front, you dont want a surface mount tho mate - the other one, forgot whats its called

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Is it any of these Ken ?

http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/productpages/canoeing-equipment/fishing-kayaks-equipment.htm

Does anywhere local sell them ?

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I use a Fladen Boat Rod Holder, cost me something like £20 for a set of two :wink:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thats them Glenn, I use the powerlock one with a raised deck mount. Sam do the Fladen ones bolt stright on too - not sure if the holes on these match up with the ferules on the ocean yak, ken

6. newdave

newdave Guest

they look the same in the picture, i notice Gary at tristar has them about half the price of the scotty.

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Do yous yakkers have much joy when trolling , do you find the plugs are working correctly .....?

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

:yes: :yes: :yes: :wink: :cheesy:

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Strap abit of 2 " waste pipe to ure back glen , :laugh: :laugh:

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

The reason i ask is because i always find the bass like a varied retrieve ,and rod snatching .except when fishing over really shallow ground ie 1 ft plus were i slow my retrieve rate down to prevent snagging ........ :butt:

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You can catch fish trolling ok Dav but it,s not as poductive as casting and retrieving probably due to the plug action. It,s hard to get it just right as you have to paddle at different speeds depending on wether you are going with or against the tide. With the right rod the tip tells you when the plug is working at just the right speed when trolling especially with plugs like the x-rap. Personally I usually only troll when going from A to B or or to try and locate a fish or two.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah just as i thought ray ....

13. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Ye you right mate but its a great way of locating the fish in the first instance - flippin hard work tho, a day trolling is shattered but it really does work and the forward motion of the yak hooks them and keeps the line taught while you hook up your paddle and take hold of the rod. much more fun to drift slowly with a drogue and as you say, vary your retrieve.
    Ken

14. newdave

newdave Guest

also to work deep plug you keep the plug working longer, :happy: