1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Float Fishing

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Mar 17, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

So has anyone given it any real thought?

There are so many possibilities, different gear and situations... :happy:

Bubble floats, pike floats, big carp wagglers, pellet floats ( bit like really big Avons)

Floating baits with bubble floats or controller?

Float ledgering?

Anchoring the yak up and trotting it through in tide?

Sliding wagglers?

Live baiting a sandeel under a pike bobber?

Do some of the 'coarse' yak anglers have the edge here? :happy:

I remember the post from last spring of float fishing for cod behind the Brigg, great stuff...

Ken

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Think I would want to drift with the float Ken. The more line you have out the more likely it is the fish can reach bottom before you get to grips with it. The only species I've tried is mackerel and I would say the strike is very important for hook ups. You need contact with the fish and the closer it is to you the better.

That's just my thoughts on the situation and I certainly ain't an expert.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I think its probably one of those methods thats still in its infancy Glenn, especially on this coastline, theres no reason we couldn't target any of our inshore species using a float.

Got to admit though, you cannot beat watching a float :happy:

4. robq

robq Rockling

thought about it a lot :yes: but its getting and keeping the live sandeel thats the stumbling block for me !!

I may give it a go with some butterfish this year though as they are lot easier to catch and keep !!

For me a drennan pike zeppler with 4 swan shotabove a 2ft flourocarbon leader around 10lb with a 1/0 circle hook, drifted with the tide in around 7-11 ft of water :yes:

Rob

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

If you can fool a mackerel with a piece of mackerel belly strip I'm sure you can fool a bass in much the same way.

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Exactly Glenn...a well known tackle shop/boat owner in Hull told me to float fish a live sandeel or a strip of macky belly under a sliding cigar float set to about mid deoth for pollock and bass over a very productive spot near Flambro....so i think you are spot on with that thought.

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

It's not that hard to do with a bit of practice :wink: I had a few go's last year in the boat and had plenty of cod and pollack on squid baits and head hooked ragworm.The water i was working was between 30-40 foot deep and the trick to doing it efficiently is when there is no or very little wind.I used a standard cigar float with 1oz-1.5oz of lead,just enough to get the bait where it's needed.I prefer using light braid when using this method as at times you have a fair amount of line out and the zero stretch or braid definitely helps with hook ups :happy: It's a very satisfying way of fishing,theres nothing better than seeing your float dissappear at mach 2 when a big pollock hits it :happy: tight lines

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Was it your thread Smokey? Great stuff :happy:

Noticed while down south last year a lot of the southern lot had bait tanks and 12v pumps on their yaks, all the tackle shops had great drums of live sandeels outside, smaller ones and then the bigger and more expensive greens. Is it possible for us to collect the bait prior to fishing and keep it alive on the yak?

Makes you wonder if its worth messing with shurvey/groundbait too.

Without sounding like an idiot, how do you catch butterfish Rob? :nerd:

Ken

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Planning to do some float fishing from the yak this summer for pollack/bass mainly, the idea of just relaxing on the yak on a flat calm day just drifting along watching the float... :cool:

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just a thought for the pelagic fish
    [​IMG]
    Baggin waggler!

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I tried drifting with a float and it wasn't too successful to be honest but I was quite close to the cliffs a couple of hours after the flood. It makes it difficult to get the depth of the bait right due to drifting over scars and then over gullys etc. The other problem I had was that the float would catch me up or visa versa. It could well be quite different at another mark though. I used the prawns that I collected, which are rated by many to be better than sandeel and much easier to keep alive too. I hooked it on and tried for an hour or so and it was still wick. I returned it after feeling sorry for it :baby:

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

A big strip of macky belly drifted over them kelp beds ....carnt wait
    I bet tin foil would work for pollock n bass , the owld fella yous to make all his feathers n stuff with things like tin foil....at the end of the day as long as it shines it will do the trick , i would guess float ledgering could work for bottom fish providing the tide doesnt pull down the float.

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I think anchoring with the kayak is the way to go, find a suitable feature and stay put, let the tide take the bait along like trotting in a river, this is how will try this year anyway, think the live sandeel is key bait though, or maybe a large crab

14. newdave

newdave Guest

just turn rocks looking for green crabs & you will find loads of them, they are a species that lives in the intertidal area and dont need much oxygen so should be easy to keep alive :yes:

15. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

you big softy Ray :baby:

16. robq

robq Rockling

Took the words out of my mouth Dave :yes: rockpools are usually full of them. Just turn over rocks in an inch or 2 of water and you will see them splashing around :yes: you can catch them with your hands but its easier with a little aqaurium net

Rob

17. andym

andym Rockling

An old topic but thought I would add a little video to view until the summer gets a bit closer, I like to anchor up and trot the float down tide and I'm sure if I put enough time in I could wangle a floatfished Thornback might just give that a shot this year

[​IMG]

18. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

I had a dabble with a float from the yak last summer, just a pike float, had feathers under and caught mackerel on it, using a longer trace and mackerel strip I again had mackerel and pollock. Love to watch a float, so while I was shadding I lobbed a float out, will be trying it a bit more this year.
    As for keeping sandeels alive if you can catch them, a small bucket with airator, I bought from askari a few years back a small live bait bucket used for livies while pike and perch fishing which would be ideal, bait is in a basket you can lift out and put over side of boat/yak so the bait is in fresh water, when moving, back into the bucket.

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Ive done it a few times . absolutely love fishing a live sandeel under a float for bass and pollack. I have a cut down rod tube with a cap on each end with holes in and put my sandeel in that. I hang it over the side and they stay alive for hours as the water running through the tube keeps it areated. it can be a bit tricky getting them out without them all getting out! so I will probably get a live bait bucket this year