1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing under Bempton Today

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well seeing the wife has gone to my daughters in Birmingham for the weekend I made the most of it and launched again today at North Landing. Got there for 8.30am, it was a nice sunny morning but with a cool breeze coming off the land. On inspection the sea looked good and usually in these circumstances under Bempton is like glass.

Paddled out to just under Roll Up, a couple of charter boats were already out but they hadn't ventured that far down. I found our favourite piece of water and anchored up in about 35 ft.

I had two rods prepared, one for conventional uptiding, this I baited with black lug, squid and cart and cast out ahead of me. There was a nice little bit of tide running through which would help with bite detection and hooking up.

The other rod I rigged with a 3 hook flapper rig, baited this with small pieces of squid, mussel etc and basicly lowered under the kayak.

Bites were very slow but first fish of the day was a little pouting..

[​IMG]

I had also had a couple of bites on the uptide rod but due to the lead snagging a lost the first fish, then I had another on but lost this half way in - I swore.

Next the bit bashin rod went again and this ended up in a nice little wrasse - I never get fed up of seeing these lovely little fish :happy:

[​IMG]

Finally I had a good hook up on the uptiding rod and I landed a nice little cod, I was happy now :happy:

[​IMG]

This pulled the scales down to 3lb 6oz

[​IMG]

A lot of the charter skippers had now come to join me close in under the cliffs and it was a really pleasant day.

I then had another little pouting on the scratching rod :happy:

[​IMG]

Finally I had another smaller cod on the uptiding rod but by this time I was running short of cart, the tide had just about stopped running and I was desperate for a pee.....A quick dash back to Thornwick for a break and something to eat, by this time the water was really busy, jet skis, motor launches - it was like the M1 out there :happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway I had a last hour drifting on the drogue and jigging with lead heads and feathers - couldn't get a touch, bit early yet maybe. Got back to North Landing for 4ish and found the beach full of tourist, I hate landing in that situation but anyway a cracking day. Back home now and all the gear rinsed off and put away or drying.

Ken

2. bigfat

bigfat New Member

well done that man

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks Big, good to see you yesterday - I had to run back home from leaving you, forgot all my cash :embarrass:

4. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Ken, glad to see you consulted the eye spy book of fishes to identify your catch :wink:

5. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Well done mate, looks like you had a good day :happy:

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

Nice one Ken,a few species off the list there :happy: tight lines

7. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

great fish ken!! not bad for a mornings work

8. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

well done ken, looks like a good day

9. neil bugdol

neil bugdol Blenny

you`re certainly getting off to a flyin start Ken, amassing points like they`re going out of fashion. Hope you`re going to leave some fish for the rest of us. Well done on another good day.

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well done Ken, looks like you have a nice tally of points already :surprise: Keep up the good work, not to well obviously! :wink:

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

well done ken, nice few fish

12. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

Nice one,

Your certainly putting the effort in Ken. It looks like you had a better day down there than we had today North of the Tyne. It was blowing a hooly off the land this morning when we were out. Even the charter boats were running for shelter.

I managed to avoid the Pouting today thankfully....... :cheesy:

Neil.

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

Brilliant Ken, well done, and thanks for the pic's :yes:

14. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

well done Ken, you are the man to watch!

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Know what you mean about landing / leaving from North Landing when it's swarming with folk. I reckon it adds 15 mins to me getting on the water, just answering all the questions I get!

Well done on the fish.

16. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

where did you get your scales from ken? ive been looking for a set of digi ones for a while

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

A canny report there ken , :yes: and a few fish for the pot, :hungry: thats a few species under your belt ,now you can target the more exotic species :suspious: :whistle: maybee a tope next :scare:

18. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

nice one ken, looks like you had a good day, nice to see the wrasse about, i may have a go for them this week see whats about

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Well done but... eerr...hope that sail wasn't up :suspious: :suspious:

20. newdave

newdave Guest

well done Ken, my body has just stopped aching after saturday, dont think i could have survived another session yesterday, although after 6 hours of sitting on the beach for a whiting & was wishing i had gone.
    its ironic that now these species are gaining points they are no longer refered to by there full names.
    Oh no its a "F*$ki%g Pouting" or "B*llocks its a S*dding wrasse" etc
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: