1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kayak Fishing Tips??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by 09tindac, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

HI

I'm new to this kayak fishing and wondered whether anyone could provide me with some info.

Just recently i've purchased two kayaks that were going cheap down south at a mates of mine.
    With myself and my 16 year old son being shore fishing enthusiasts, i wondered whether any of you regulars would be able to provide any helpful information as im a rookie to this variation of the sport.

Im wondering what types of bait/lures are good for kayak fishing in the Scarborough area where i live, and where the best spots are for kayak fishing are.

Ive read up on this site about many aspects of safety, but couldn't find any information like this.

All info would be happily appreciated. :happy:

Thanks
    Phil T

2. newdave

newdave Guest

It really the wrong time of year to be starting fishing Phil, a few of us with masochistic tendencies are doing a bit of uptiding but i really dont advise it for a beginner, much better to get the kayaks out on some calm safe water & get used to them first. as for where to fish, the worlds your oyster, and as the weather warms you will see most of the regulars making for there favorite spots, Runswick, Flamborough etc. take a look on the kayak section for launch sites. where are you based ?

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

A few ideas here for launch sites mate :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-launch-sites/category/north-east

4. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

Im based in Scacrborough, so i was wondering what bays are good for kayak fishing, and the technique needed.

Bait etc.

Perhaps its a bit cold for fishing now, but im wondering what things would change come summer, such as fishing spot, technique etc for different fish that come in at different times of the year (mackeral,codling etc)

Thanks for the feedback
    Phil T

5. Dorado

Dorado New Member

PhilT (much easier than all those numbers and letters!)

You can use this time of year to get used to the kayaks though. It is a very good idea to take a few days to get used to the kayak. Find out how she handles, how to paddle straight, manoever and above all, stay on board. One of the most important techniques to learn, so that it becomes instinctive, is to learn to rescue yourself. You need to get the kayak out of your depth, but only just, fall off, and learn how to turn the kayak back over and climb back aboard. Believe me, it is much easier to do without all your fishing clobber attached!

Imagine you are out fishing, with rods tied to the kayak (otherwise if you capsize Davy Jones will gain another load of gear) and you fall over. Your rods will be hanfging below the kayak in the water, as will anything else leashed to the kayak, you have to right the kayak and sort out all those lines before you can get back on - and of course avoid tangling yourself in them, or getting a loose hook (string of mackerel feathers hanging off one rod? plug with a couple of sharp trebles?).

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE TIME YOU NEED IT TO FIND OUT HOW TO DO IT. In the situation you need to be able to remain calm and already have a system and sequence in place, so you can remain calm and think clearly. Otherwise you will flounder around, getting colder, thinking less clearly, getting colder, starting to worry, getting colder, starting to panic, getting colder, starting to do stupid things, getting colder, until you now can't even do the most basic of actions, getting colder............goodbye.

This might sound to be at the end of the line and something that is so rare as to not worry about. I will try and find Vlad's report of his first trip out in a fishing kayak to go fishing. He had actually had some paddling tuition from me (at Exmouth meet last year) and had attended one of our courses held on the south coast in aid of the RNLI. He was in the water for 40 minutes before a woman walking her dog saw and heard him.......thankfully, he had taken advice and had bought a drysuit. It saved his life without a doubt. The helicopter was scrambled for him - and this was on an inland lake (Llangorse in the Brecon Beacons). Believe me, it can happen, and much faster than you think.

The water off the Yorkshire coast is very cold- even in summer. When I came to Flamborough N. landing, for the first time, it was August or September (can't remember exactly - Bassyken will be able to say for sure, it was Spawney's birthday weekend) and I was asked to do some demo re-entries. I hadn't been in the water yet, but when I capsized the kayak the water temperature was so cold that it made me gasp as I hit it....it was that cold. It can't have been more than about 14 degrees - which is cold eough to give hypothermia in about 20 minutes. I am so glad I was wearing my drysuit - normally in summer I don't bother, on the Welsh coast the water gets to over 20 and yu can paddle in shorts and a rugger shirt happily. On the Yorkshire coast I will NEVER be venturing out without proper paddling gear on at any time of the year, the water is just too cold.

The rule of thumb is: if the water temperature is such that you could not swim naked in it for 30 minutes comfortably, then you need to be dressed for immersion. Water removes heat from the body over 20 times faster than air of the same temperature.

Another rule of thumb is: The time you have before hypothermia (critical core temperature) sets in is 1 minute for every degree below 6 degrees. So water at 6 degrees you have 6 minutes. Even so, water at 10 degrees you only gain a few minutes - you would probably have about 12 minutes.....but shivering and reduced faculties as a result sets in MUCH sooner, making the actual act of getting back on very much more difficult than normal - think about those times you have been frozen on the shore and tried to tie a new hook on....and your fingers won't let you. A simple enough action, but you can't do it.

Don't dismiss this as scare mongering, I'm not. It is actually easy to stay on your kayak, when you know how. Just take the time to get to grips with the thing first, otherwise, like Vlad, you will be finding out at the critical time.

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

excellent advice Simon.

I have to admit to not been properly prepared last year and luckily I have not had any problems , but it could have happened to me. I was lucky.

This winter I have been preparing myself for next year - got the drysuit and underfleece and been making sure that when I go out next year I am fully prepared. The first thing I will be doing is some re-entry practice

7. robq

robq Rockling

The truth is mate that the kayak fishing on this coast is really in its infancy and there are still a lot of spots that hav'nt been tried yet. Flamboro North landing has been a kind mark to most of us on here but beware the tides !! A big spring flood is frightening out there :scared: :scared:

Once you are comfortable and confident in your Yak just get out the O/S map and explore !! Not alone of course and make sure you follow the basic safety requirments and definitely carry a VHF radio.

As for methods all of the usual boat techniques work well. Bait, hokkais, jellyworms etc etc

The best advice I can give you is to use the search tool and look through some of the old kayak threads as there is tons of good advice and tips on there :yes:

Rob

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Robs right. I think there isnt much we havent talked about at one time or another. Also search out quints cod rig topic as that will be worth its worth in gold.

The tide at Flamborough is frightening and its good to always be cautious.

On a more positive note youve probably just taken one of the most positive steps you will take in your fishing carrear mate. Kayak fishing is truly awesome. You will never be off the dam thing.